Onkyo and Denon

That Technics sounds sweet! The price, however: pretty sour: €7,310 euros; just a mere $8,960.

I should have known when I saw it was a “reference” model.

I read an article back in the day when they had blind listening competitions between half a dozen or so home speakers. Believe it or not the Bose 901's came in second, but just barely to some large floor standers that cost 4X as much. I have a set of 901's among other speakers and they sound great to me. Different than traditional box speakers. I also have some RTR's which I like. I have had JBL's and Polk's over the years. The best sounding speaker for the price to my ear is a set of two way bookshelf Yamaha's I paid like 100 bucks for a couple of decades ago. I have mucho stereo gear and speakers. Here is a 1980's two channel setup that is stacked in the garage right now.

That is a great looking Mitsubishi rig!

Most high end names in the game haven't even been listed. We need a budget and music preferences size of room or it's a waste of time it's just the truth

Yes, that's why I stressed that the ones I listed, like Bryston for example, are ones people might recognize, same with McIntosh. Things can get into obscure territory really fast. A buddy of mine has some crazy hand built Shindo Japanese tube pre-amp and a ridiculous hand-built custom turntable. Also, many of the brands from the time period the OP listed aren't around anymore.

Most hi end would Scoff at class D amplification not saying I do but many many still think and is wrong approach.
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how this Technics is received in audiophile circles. To many, class D is the work of the devil. :)

Granted, this isn't the same class D that you get in a $50 portable Chinese amp. I kind of shy away from these as well, although they're probably fine for a typical desktop setup. I chickened out and just got a traditional class A/B for my desk/PC recently.

I do have an older Panasonic AVR that's class D, and it sounds just fine for my ears. It's going to be my garage receiver once I pull it out of storage.

Ive heard of McIntosh, Bang & Olufsen, NAD (Nihon Audio Devices? People forget "Japan" is really "Nihon.") And Nakamichi. Never SEEN any of these in someone's house.

I have a love for Onkyo because our friend in Connecticut had a really high end COMPLETE Onkyo setup. Sounded really good. Loved it.

There WAS a boutique audio store in Paramus, NJ. Maybe went in there one time. I remember thinking all the prices were wrong. One of the things cost $8000 (if I remember right. Maybe $3000, but i think it was a McIntosh or a Bang & Olufsen and I was like.. "For a RECEIVER?")

We had a Philips receiver,
A Sanyo tape deck (old school Sanyo was good. Had a VU meter. Volume Units. Not DB)
A Technics rape deck (high end Panasonic. Really good. Digital DB meter)
And an Akai 100Wx4 amp.

That Akai was GREAT.

That was our "component stack"...

Check out Bryston:

Their B135 is the only integrated (receiver) that they sell:

And a review of it:

Note that several of the modules, like Phono and DAC, are optional and carry a not-so-insignificant price tag ($750/each). Now, this is not a piece of kit anybody who is looking to build a serious Bryston-based system would purchase, it's more like a "value" or "convenience" product from the brand. Maybe a good choice for the cottage for example.

Base price, without the modules, was $6,695.00. So he was at that price point, $8,195.00 with the modules added.

With streaming being the main way we listen to music anymore and for TV and movie watching. Going with a Sonos system is awesome. No wires to mess with and the sound is incredible. Plus it supports Dolby ATMOS. We got rid of our Denon receiver and el-cheapo speakers. Sure it is expensive but considering we stay at home and don't go anywhere and don't see going out in the distant future with having special needs in the house it made sense.

Back in the day ie 1980 or so, I remember Nakamichi and Klipsch being the brand to get. Guys coming home from being stationed in Japan could get Nakamichi for a great price and the ones in Germany got the Klipsch speakers as well.

With streaming being the main way we listen to music anymore and for TV and movie watching. Going with a Sonos system is awesome. No wires to mess with and the sound is incredible. Plus it supports Dolby ATMOS. We got rid of our Denon receiver and el-cheapo speakers. Sure it is expensive but considering we stay at home and don't go anywhere and don't see going out in the distant future with having special needs in the house it made sense.

Back in the day ie 1980 or so, I remember Nakamichi and Klipsch being the brand to get. Guys coming home from being stationed in Japan could get Nakamichi for a great price and the ones in Germany got the Klipsch speakers as well.

Yes, I recently redid my boss's home audio with Sonos. He had bought one of their products for his place in Florida and fell in love with it. Removed multiple Denon receivers and non-powered soundbars and fitted the house with a number of Sonos Connect units for the various zones.

His "fireplace" listening area has these powered speakers from B&O:

Which are quite nice, but, IMHO, don't sound as "true" as my B&W 802's, though the listening space may play a role there.

Onkyo and Sansui were my favs' - after Macintosh.

I Ilke all the new little pods and bars and stuff - but lets be honest it does't get it done like the old school stuff.

Im using the same amp I've used since 90, a Mcintosch MC2500. Its so powerful you can arc weld with it literally lit my JBL 4412's - on fire.

Im currently running Bowers and Wilkins and have turned it down so as not to blow them up.

IMG_1110.jpeg
IMG_1109.jpeg

Check out Bryston:

Their B135 is the only integrated (receiver) that they sell:

And a review of it:

Note that several of the modules, like Phono and DAC, are optional and carry a not-so-insignificant price tag ($750/each). Now, this is not a piece of kit anybody who is looking to build a serious Bryston-based system would purchase, it's more like a "value" or "convenience" product from the brand. Maybe a good choice for the cottage for example.

Base price, without the modules, was $6,695.00. So he was at that price point, $8,195.00 with the modules added.
If that was like that in the early-mid 90s not past 1997 or 1998 then maybe that was the thing lol.

I've never owned Klipsch speakers but I remember every single article of Stereo Review reviewed them with highest ratings and I said.. "one day."

All this talk is bringing me back to my teenage years and 20s. Turntables and vinyl is making a comeback too.
Yep. I only really know about D-9s.

We might have even just had D-5s (which still made everyone want to come over just to listen to them. D-anything on an Akai 100wx4, 4 ohm sounded AMAZING)
People tell me there are better speakers now.

The way my life is, a Bluetooth JBL is "premium" sound now.....................,.....

Onkyo and Sansui were my favs' - after Macintosh.

I Ilke all the new little pods and bars and stuff - but lets be honest it does't get it done like the old school stuff.

Im using the same amp I've used since 90, a Mcintosch MC2500. Its so powerful you can arc weld with it literally lit my JBL 4412's - on fire.

Im currently running Bowers and Wilkins and have turned it down so as not to blow them up.

View attachment 37355View attachment 37356

VERY nice!

I'm running a Bryston 4B, which spec's out at ~270W/channel into an 8ohm load, it's feeding a set of Paradigm Monitor 11's presently, but was feeding a set of B&W 802's previously (they've been relocated to the bedroom). Rated for 400W/channel into 4ohms and Bridged I believe is 800W, so not quite as salty as that McIntosh unit, but pretty decent :)
IMG_1131.jpg

I love the handwritten per channel distortion measurements. How cool!

Thats a formidable piece I think anyone would love to have and FULLY capable of bringing the gendarmes in any major city.

My recollection from back in the day: Yamaha, Nakamichi, Denon (one guy at the local stereo store pronounced it de-NAAN). I had a Carver amp. Some controversy with it. Mine broke twice with a lot of buzzing. When I got it back from the warranty repair, I sold it in its unopened box from Carver. Got some cash for that.

I still have my Polk reference monitors which are still worth a bit.

Macintosh tube amps were beyond what we would consider buying.

Boston Acoustic speakers were popular. Separate sub woofers were not popular back in the day but I certainly appreciate them now in my living room. One subwoofer and 5 little speakers is great for TV and movies.

I'm currently rocking some JVC speakers from the 90s in one half of my home gym with a cheapo modern amp. The other half of the basement gym has a Pioneer amp powering my old Polks.

Technics turntables were the benchmark. Hit a real sweet spot between price and performance.

Saw Meatloaf in concert a few years ago and he went on a rant about how mp3 don't sound good and people that never heard vinyl don't know what they're missing. I thought about that when I was thinking how great my JVC speakers sounded with a cheapo amp with a Bluetooth feed. Because even that much equipment is so much better than computer speakers or ear buds.

I have a complete Denon system from the early 80's stacked in the garage. First year CD player is with it. Had some mid 80's Adcom gear which I gave away. Tape decks, graphic equalizers, tuners, receivers.....Too much stuff I don't use anymore taking up space but even though it is worth some money I can't bring myself to part with it. I still have the 901's stacked in the garage too.

I have a complete Denon system from the early 80's stacked in the garage. First year CD player is with it. Had some mid 80's Adcom gear which I gave away. Tape decks, graphic equalizers, tuners, receivers.....Too much stuff I don't use anymore taking up space but even though it is worth some money I can't bring myself to part with it. I still have the 901's stacked in the garage too.
Sadly my big iron get used little anymore, the new stuff although lacking the clout - is very space efficient and a houseful of tiny pods connected wirelessly actually sounds pretty good.

Back