Onkyo and Denon

For HT sub bass I was thinking of trying the "sub in a the basement" approach. I have unused Floor vents. as we went from forced Hot Air to Hydronic heating. I could put a nice 10" automotive woofer in a big cabinet mounted between the floor joists and have it fire out the floor vent that is about 12" x 3-1/2"

No WAF required there, just:

Her, " Whats that loud rumbling sound ! "

Me, " IDK, a big Mack truck parade ? " :unsure::D

you need 1. Low ohm wire.. say 4 Ohm. Maybe 2. I forget. 4 was "big" for hone theatre ? 2. Big wattage.

I think you mean large gauge wire? All copper wire is inherently low resistance, but for big power you typically use a larger wire. My speaker wires are 12-gauge, 2-pair.

s-l400.jpg

Please forgive me, I always thought these were good speakers.

Those D-3's? I used to have a set. Blew the woofers and replaced them with Bravox units, replaced the tweeters with McIntosh ones. Sold them a few years ago to a kid just getting started building his vinyl rig, he had bought a receiver/turntable/speaker combo and the speakers were total garbage. He absolutely loved the madeover CV's and made it a point to reach out to me after the fact to tell me just how much he loved them and couldn't get over how good they sounded 🤷‍♂️

I used to run a sub, I never was satisfied with it. I could never get the placement right to make it disappear. Tried for a long time and finally gave up. Most of my speakers went low enough that I did not miss it when I removed it. Part of the issue was the crossover freq which a lot of people ignore.

Yes, you absolutely need to get the crossover low enough that only tones that aren't directional are sent to the sub. My sub is located beside the couch, it's a complete home jobby, lol! :ROFLMAO: But very transparent as to its location because of how I have the crossover set in the receiver, which is at 40Hz. That's roughly where my Paradigms begin to sign off.

Picture a McIntosh cabinet with the 12" woofer removed and replaced with a massive 12" car audio sub that weighs north of 50lbs. The box size (sealed) actually matches pretty well for the recommended dimensions for the sub but I presently don't have enough amplification for it. I'm hoping to find a good deal on either another Bryston 4B or something similar to drive it with. I'm using a SpeakerCraft unit and it's just simply not sufficient.

Those D-3's? I used to have a set. Blew the woofers and replaced them with Bravox units, replaced the tweeters with McIntosh ones. Sold them a few years ago to a kid just getting started building his vinyl rig, he had bought a receiver/turntable/speaker combo and the speakers were total garbage. He absolutely loved the madeover CV's and made it a point to reach out to me after the fact to tell me just how much he loved them and couldn't get over how good they sounded 🤷‍♂️

I coulda been that kid lol.

I think those D-5.

I'm gonna buy some D-9s at some point in my life because.. I also thought those were the BEST! SPEAKERS! EVARRR!!! until we had this thread LOL

I coulda been that kid lol.

I think those D-5.

I'm gonna buy some D-9s at some point in my life because.. I also thought those were the BEST! SPEAKERS! EVARRR!!! until we had this thread LOL

Here's a nice blurb on the D3's:

I bought mine in 1998 my first year at uni. Owned them up until a few years ago, so they served me well.

Here's a nice blurb on the D3's:

I bought mine in 1998 my first year at uni. Owned them up until a few years ago, so they served me well.

I used to go into Nobody Beats The Wiz, go to the speaker section, check out the floorstanding

Advent
Infinity
Paradigm
Polk Audio
Boston Acoustics
I think Technics had some..

And think.. "Okay, what sounds better than the Vegas at home."

And then there was the Bose Acoustimass 7.

The Cerwin Vega D3 or D5 (which one had the 12" woofer and could handle like 200W RMS?) And of course tweeter and an actual big mid) shaped how sound "SHOULD" sound.

Now I hear mixed reviews on their/just about every "boutique" name.. JL Audio, Memphis Audio, etc. (Switched to car audio on that one.)

I'm all over the place.. please forgive me.
.this thread is exceptional, by the way.

I used to go into Nobody Beats The Wiz, go to the speaker section, check out the floorstanding

Advent
Infinity
Paradigm
Polk Audio
Boston Acoustics
I think Technics had some..

And think.. "Okay, what sounds better than the Vegas at home."

And then there was the Bose Acoustimass 7.

The Cerwin Vega D3 or D5 (which one had the 12" woofer and could handle like 200W RMS?) And of course tweeter and an actual big mid) shaped how sound "SHOULD" sound.

Now I hear mixed reviews on their/just about every "boutique" name.. JL Audio, Memphis Audio, etc. (Switched to car audio on that one.)

I'm all over the place.. please forgive me.
.this thread is exceptional, by the way.

My Paradigm Monitor 11's sound significantly better than my old D3's ever did, but they are a pretty large speaker height-wise (the CV was significantly wider, but not as deep or tall).

My Paradigm Monitor 11's sound significantly better than my old D3's ever did, but they are a pretty large speaker height-wise (the CV was significantly wider, but not as deep or tall).
When I bough the c-v D9, I compared them to the HUGE JBL L222A
"towers" an even Dahlquist DQ-9 using German Magnat drivers
The JBL and Magnat's had better and more "bullet proof" drivers but the D9 were playing "magic"

I was really torn about getting the Dahlquist /Magnats though it ended up a Coin Toss.

Later at Home, I did blow a middler on one of the C-V's playing Neil Young's "Harvest" at "live" levels.
All I had to do was ship it to them and they sent me out a new one.
The c-v D9 used the D'Appolito mid/tweet configuration to good effect.

jbl L222.jpg

1980 JBL L222A

DQM9.jpg

Dahlquist DQM-9 "Party Speaker"

I have a Cerwin Vega sub that looks like a coffee table. I had gotten it as collateral for a loan that was never paid back to me.

Back