Onkyo and Denon

Focal's sound great. Funny before I moved I liked them but they really became eye opening in my new house. I think it's because they are in a much larger room. These speakers excel at anything I throw at them. I listen to classical, classic rock and heavy metal and I am satisfied with their performance on it all. I'm a Focal fan for the most part. I have other speakers that sound great too, so much stuff out there :)

My main amp for the Focal's is my Luxman l-590ax For me one of Luxman's best SS integrateds they ever made. I kind of got off the merry go round of amps after I purchased this. I still have a lot if tube stuff I swap in once in awhile, but I sold most of my SS and tube stuff because audio just go to crazy for me at the time. I like good gear but all the magic stuff out there make me cringe.

View attachment 37948
I like that integrated a route I want to go and get away from amp preamp setup currently running odyssey amp preamp. Just wanting to minimize now getting older lol

I love this era of audio. One of my biggest regrets was selling my Pioneer sx-850 :(

I think there are still handprints in the glass of what used to be a "hi fi" store in my hometown - from me looking at that very unit in the window with a price tag that even years of lawn mowing a snow blowing wouldn't be able to afford. (my regular income as a kid)

That unit was a "holy grail" back in grade school that only the Uber hip 18 year old down the street had.
He gave me a demo of that very unit.... I got an invite in to his den of cool with its playboy pictures and beer signs and glass paraphernalia that slightly scared me - he proceeded to go supersonic with it demonstrating just how pink floyds money could sound - if I had the bread he did which I didnt.

WOW - so thats what the good stuff sounds like.

I remember the walk home after song and his girlfriend showed up- with a hot friend no less... I was kicked out of the cool kids circle and going back to my lowly 20 watt clapped out old hand me down speakers and repaired low end department store no name junk.
Pioneer was one the THE units that made you cool.

memories.......

As for the the hate for Bose goes, I have a 45yr old of Bose 501 Series II. Never touched and still sound marvelous while they are direct/reflecting. Hope they last as long as I do.
In the 70s, I bought a used from a friend, set(4) BOSE 301 speakers and they were an amazing sounding speaker for their small size. I had them up on stands and ran'em through a Harmon-Kardon stereo amp/receiver that could handle 4 speakers. He gave me a Phillips straight arm/belt drive turntable in the deal.

In the 70s, I bought a used from a friend, set(4) BOSE 301 speakers and they were an amazing sounding speaker for their small size. I had them up on stands and ran'em through a Harmon-Kardon stereo amp/receiver that could handle 4 speakers. He gave me a Phillips straight arm/belt drive turntable in the deal.
With older Bose Speakers it all about Location, location, and location. Mine are in the corners of my nearly square bedroom. 18 inches from both the back and side walls. This is what the online manual suggested. I have a circa 2005 Harman Kardon (80wpc) receiver powering them. Nice warm sound. Amazing none of the drivers have failed after 45 years. Probably because they rarely were pushed hard. Also have a pair of Bose 301 Ser. 2 in my den/mancave.

Last edited:
Have the H/K AVR 25 II and drives 2 SOUND DYNAMICS 300 TI ( 3 way ) speakers at 4 Ohms . Second system is a H/K 3250 with SOUND DYNAMICS RTS 3s' at 8 Ohms . Use a TRUE DIMENSIONAL SOUND ( TDS ) Passive Audiophile harmonic enchancment device ( sort of like a preamp ) with Tape 2 monitor of AVR 25II .

Last edited:
My impression with my Bose 901 Series III/VI was that placement and environment was critical, and the active equalizer requirement limited my options. That is why I replaced them with JBL 4312 Control Monitors and a subwoofer.
The series III had a common problem that surfaced after a few years and Bose replaced them with the series VI for a nominal fee.

Keeping in mind that my hearing 45-50 years ago(even 20 yrs ago) was quite a bit better that it is these days. Today, my own dynamic range is narrow so, I couldn't tell what I am hearing in terms of listening to better quality on not between sound systems. I am actually quite satisfied with most systems whereas others may not be. They'll hear what I used to hear.

How far from the floor would you say is optimal for the lowest driver to be?
The lowest driver should be right at the floor junction for flattest in -room response - as long as its not producing midrange output. Recall the work Roy F. Allison did to achieve flat in-room bass response with typical pi/2 room loading. I was no fan of his overall dessign, but the research was done. The issue is de-coupling the wave front travelling down the baffle before you get a strong floor reflection which will cause a response anomaly that cannot be equalised. Remember, the 200hz wavelength is about 5 feet long. and Middle C, surely not in the Bass region, is just a bit over 260hz in frequency. Regardless, achieving a reasonably even in room response to the design intent is no easy task.

Have you ever heard a set of Shahinian's? I have a set of the compass, they excel at trying to minimize the "bounce" I can put my compass in any small room and not worry about placement and they sound great. ....
I hear them mentioned all the time but seem elusive to me. Are they direct marketed? The only other elusive speaker I was able to audition decades ago in Boston, MA, was one of Bud FRIED's larger designs. I don't recall which one either Studio 4 or G3 but they were large, possibly a modified transmission line design. I'll check it out to see what the fuss is about. - Ken

The lowest driver should be right at the floor junction for flattest in -room response - as long as its not producing midrange output. Recall the work Roy F. Allison did to achieve flat in-room bass response with typical pi/2 room loading. I was no fan of his overall dessign, but the research was done. The issue is de-coupling the wave front travelling down the baffle before you get a strong floor reflection which will cause a response anomaly that cannot be equalised. Remember, the 200hz wavelength is about 5 feet long. and Middle C, surely not in the Bass region, is just a bit over 260hz in frequency. Regardless, achieving a reasonably even in room response to the design intent is no easy task.

This would seem to make the case for not putting a speaker on a stand but setting it on the floor itself or on hockey pucks.

This would seem to make the case for not putting a speaker on a stand but setting it on the floor itself or on hockey pucks.
Good for bass, but in a three -driver box you would have lobing - unless you designed for that in the crossover filter - and concomitant troublesome midrange cancellations.

I hear them mentioned all the time but seem elusive to me. Are they direct marketed? The only other elusive speaker I was able to audition decades ago in Boston, MA, was one of Bud FRIED's larger designs. I don't recall which one either Studio 4 or G3 but they were large, possibly a modified transmission line design. I'll check it out to see what the fuss is about. - Ken
Shahinian at the time was in dealers. I can tell you their website has not changed since the internet started I think ;) I believe the company is run by the son now and don't know how or even what they are selling anymore.

I have read about Fried of course but never had the opportunity to hear a set.

Another semi obscure brand I had in the day were Dahlquist. If you are eagle eyed you can see a set of woofers from DQ-20's in my pics above.

Focal's sound great. Funny before I moved I liked them but they really became eye opening in my new house. I think it's because they are in a much larger room. These speakers excel at anything I throw at them. I listen to classical, classic rock and heavy metal and I am satisfied with their performance on it all. I'm a Focal fan for the most part. I have other speakers that sound great too, so much stuff out there :)

My main amp for the Focal's is my Luxman l-590ax For me one of Luxman's best SS integrateds they ever made. I kind of got off the merry go round of amps after I purchased this. I still have a lot if tube stuff I swap in once in awhile, but I sold most of my SS and tube stuff because audio just go to crazy for me at the time. I like good gear but all the magic stuff out there make me cringe.

View attachment 37948
Have you every listened to a Benchmark AHB2 amplifier or any one else reading this just trying to get anyone's thoughts or impression on it sound wise or technology.

Have you every listened to a Benchmark AHB2 amplifier or any one else reading this just trying to get anyone's thoughts or impression on it sound wise or technology.
Never heard the Benchmark but it seems to be a fine amp and one you will probably enjoy. I think more importantly what speakers do you intend to drive with them? Some speakers are difficult and affect the choice of amp. I have some beautiful 300b amps that drive my Tannoy's with no problem but get crushed when I try to use them with the Focals. Look at the overall system and not he pieces.

I will tell you I would have no problems with putting the Benchmark in one of my systems. It looks like a great Amp, I could imagine it with my Audible Illusions pre amp driving the focals and sounding blissful.

Never heard the Benchmark but it seems to be a fine amp and one you will probably enjoy. I think more importantly what speakers do you intend to drive with them? Some speakers are difficult and affect the choice of amp. I have some beautiful 300b amps that drive my Tannoy's with no problem but get crushed when I try to use them with the Focals. Look at the overall system and not he pieces.

I will tell you I would have no problems with putting the Benchmark in one of my systems. It looks like a great Amp, I could imagine it with my Audible Illusions pre amp driving the focals and sounding blissful.
Speakers in use would be easy to drive thanks for response always alot of talk on the Benchmark amp. You think they would drive the Focals in a monoblock setup just curious what think.

Speakers in use would be easy to drive thanks for response always alot of talk on the Benchmark amp. You think they would drive the Focals in a monoblock setup just curious what think.
They would probably drive most retail speakers well. My focals have a pretty serious dip to 3 ohm's that can cause some amps to falter if they are not well built. That benchmark looks like it would drive them in a 2ch setup with no sweat, so as mono's it would be a cake walk.

I think there are still handprints in the glass of what used to be a "hi fi" store in my hometown - from me looking at that very unit in the window with a price tag that even years of lawn mowing a snow blowing wouldn't be able to afford. (my regular income as a kid)

That unit was a "holy grail" back in grade school that only the Uber hip 18 year old down the street had.
He gave me a demo of that very unit.... I got an invite in to his den of cool with its playboy pictures and beer signs and glass paraphernalia that slightly scared me - he proceeded to go supersonic with it demonstrating just how pink floyds money could sound - if I had the bread he did which I didnt.

WOW - so thats what the good stuff sounds like.

I remember the walk home after song and his girlfriend showed up- with a hot friend no less... I was kicked out of the cool kids circle and going back to my lowly 20 watt clapped out old hand me down speakers and repaired low end department store no name junk.
Pioneer was one the THE units that made you cool.

memories.......
My first aftermarket car head unit was a Pioneer. Good stuff.

DEH-P47DH if I remember right.

Yep.. that was the one.

Shahinian at the time was in dealers. I can tell you their website has not changed since the internet started I think ;) I believe the company is run by the son now and don't know how or even what they are selling anymore.

I have read about Fried of course but never had the opportunity to hear a set.

Another semi obscure brand I had in the day were Dahlquist. If you are eagle eyed you can see a set of woofers from DQ-20's in my pics above.
Yes, I have a set of Dahlquist M-907 Studio Monitors designed by Carl Marchisotto (of Alon). Very High quality VIFA tweeter and middler and crossover componentry. They do use the low efficiency ADVENT woofer motor. I've had them put away in their original box for over a decade.
I'm afraid to open the boxes and find the woofer surrounds rotted away. Not my favourite task replacing foam surrounds - it's quite messy and fiddly. I'd love to use the old gooped accordion fabric utilised on the old Coaxials in the 50's, but the is not enough margin without re-outsizing the masonite filler board.

not mine, but the same model M-907 :
Dahlquist m-907.jpg

Ahhh yes... Advent. They sounded good too!

Another name was Polk Audio

Back