One thing that grinds my gears...

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who over-praise you as a "Genius" when you show them how to something basic and simple with a tech gadget (like how to cut and paste a file.)

Or when they exclaim: "Brilliant!!!" to the most mundane and unimpressive thing.

They are so promiscuous with these words that they rob them of any meaning and they appear inauthentic.

This has been an edition of "What grinds my gears."

Andy Rooney retires Sunday. Are you seeking his job?
lol.gif

I would say that you might want to open yourself up to humanity and see, that what is simple to you, might not be to others, yet on the same hand, others may leave you standing in other ways and other areas of life.
what a boring place this earth would be if we all knew how to do everything.

nothing oils the "gears" like some patience, compassion and love.

As mean as it may sound, some just don't have the same aptitude for certain things.

And others may just not care or may just not be interested in a certain functionality until the "aha!" moment hits.

Everyone is good and bad at certain things. "Tricks of the trade" have had me amazed at what is hard to me, and likely is simple to those who do it routinely.

I got into mainframe computers in 1976. Back then it was an IBM 370-168 running MVS. I worked hard to learn the systems stuff and brought a lot home to read. The more I learned the faster I could do my main job and the more time I had to learn more new things. At some point I realized there were 3 realms to your knowledge of computers.

1) You do not know much and there is a lot to learn

2) You have learned a lot and now think you know it all

3) You realize there is so much out there to learn and that you will probably never know it all, but you keep on learning until you retire or maybe until you are lying horizontal and they are shoveling dirt on you.

Luckily I made it to the 3rd realm quickly. But was always happy to help those who knew less than I.

Society lowers it's standards, then expects higher pay. I could elaborate, but I'll refrain.

Seriously??? If that's what "Grinds your gears", then you have it pretty good. I say to just act as dumb as they are. That way you won't have to worry about being "over" complimented.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I got into mainframe computers in 1976. Back then it was an IBM 370-168 running MVS. I worked hard to learn the systems stuff and brought a lot home to read. The more I learned the faster I could do my main job and the more time I had to learn more new things. At some point I realized there were 3 realms to your knowledge of computers.

3) You realize there is so much out there to learn and that you will probably never know it all, but you keep on learning until you retire or maybe until you are lying horizontal and they are shoveling dirt on you.

Luckily I made it to the 3rd realm quickly. But was always happy to help those who knew less than I.

You have summed it all up superbly.

Too many level 2s in the IT fiefdoms.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
Originally Posted By: Donald

You have summed it all up superbly.

Too many level 2s in the IT fiefdoms.

For sure!
thumbsup2.gif

I think some of y'all may have misunderstood me, this wasn't a display of superiority on my part, not at all!

Just a rant against what I perceive to be inauthenticity--words thrown about without meaning.

Originally Posted By: mareakin
People who over-praise you as a "Genius" when you show them how to something basic and simple with a tech gadget (like how to cut and paste a file.)

Or when they exclaim: "Brilliant!!!" to the most mundane and unimpressive thing.

They are so promiscuous with these words that they rob them of any meaning and they appear inauthentic.

I understand where you are coming from. Obviously "put-on" personas are always grating, and the more extreme, the more grating. I think you are generally referring to the inappropriate use of superlatives - everything is Super!, or Fantastic! Everything has to be Fun!!! They don't just have an objective, they want a Big, Hairy, Audacious Goal, etc.

And then there are the people who use flattery as a manipulation tool...

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels

I understand where you are coming from. Obviously "put-on" personas are always grating, and the more extreme, the more grating. I think you are generally referring to the inappropriate use of superlatives - everything is Super!, or Fantastic! Everything has to be Fun!!! They don't just have an objective, they want a Big, Hairy, Audacious Goal, etc.

And then there are the people who use flattery as a manipulation tool...

Yeah I know a guy who comes in from driving in the rain and declares that it's "the worst thunderstorm (he's) ever seen in his life" and then someone pays attention to him, asking "really"...

Originally Posted By: mareakin

This has been an edition of "What grinds my gears."

Maybe they are making fun of you.

Quote:

Or.....folks who don't know how to use the word promiscuous"........

Ya, inconceivable ... "you keep using that word. i don't think it means what you think it means."

- Vikas

I myself pity those who are not enthusiastic about life.

It's a pretty short ride, and I get to choose how I enjoy it.

It would seem unreasonable to expect us all to conform to some single person's ideas of what is acceptable. But it is easy to sit in judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back