One oil For GM/Flex/Jeep?

If they were mine I'd run either Mobil 1 0W30 or 5W30 ESP and call it a day. But I have a friend in a Jeep dealership so using a 30 grade while under warranty wouldn't be an issue, if I were to be called out on it. ;)
I was not concerned about warranty. Just mainly a question of whether any actual issues from moving to a single oil and a slightly thicker oil than is specified for operating from the arctic circle to Mexico for these vehicles (since I'm closer to Mexico). My 18 Rubicon hasn't been back to the dealer since I bought it. Probably won't go back. I fixed my steering and DW issues myself, as well as visors falling down, axle seal, and some other stuff. I just don't like dealing with them if practical.

I was not concerned about warranty. Just mainly a question of whether any actual issues from moving to a single oil and a slightly thicker oil than is specified for operating from the arctic circle to Mexico for these vehicles (since I'm closer to Mexico).
You having no warranty concerns makes the choice even easier then. I picked what imo is the best of the XOM offerings. I use it in two vehicles which call for 5W20, a 3.7L Jeep Liberty and a 2016 3.6L Wrangler.

I was not concerned about warranty. Just mainly a question of whether any actual issues from moving to a single oil and a slightly thicker oil than is specified for operating from the arctic circle to Mexico for these vehicles (since I'm closer to Mexico). My 18 Rubicon hasn't been back to the dealer since I bought it. Probably won't go back. I fixed my steering and DW issues myself, as well as visors falling down, axle seal, and some other stuff. I just don't like dealing with them if practical.
The winter rating is not directly tied to the operating viscosity. Independently choose a winter rating that is appropriate for your expected climate.

And again, at operating temperature there is no issue with a thicker oil.

You having no warranty concerns makes the choice even easier then. I picked what imo is the best of the XOM offerings. I use it in two vehicles which call for 5W20, a 3.7L Jeep Liberty and a 2016 3.6L Wrangler.
I've been using M1 Ext Perf. It seems to check all the boxes for specs except the Jeep spec. It's also fairly easy to find.

What does the M1 ESP offer over the M1 EP?

I've been using M1 Ext Perf. It seems to check all the boxes for specs except the Jeep spec. It's also fairly easy to find.

Lower ash is one thing. They are different oils for different applications and carry some different approvals and specifications.

Last edited:

I compared the two spec wise side by side, and consulted a few people on the board here who are a lot more knowledgeable than I am and decided that was the way to go. FTR I'm not interested in longer OCIs. EP is a good choice as well, I like ESP more.

Would M1 Ext Perf 5w30 be a good choice? I'm looking at it because of availability and price. They seem to stock it in the common chain autoparts stores as well as Walmart, which is a plus, but not a requirement. M1 ESP seems to be less common and about twice the cost.

Would M1 Ext Perf 5w30 be a good choice? I'm looking at it because of availability and price. They seem to stock it in the common chain autoparts stores as well as Walmart, which is a plus, but not a requirement. M1 ESP seems to be less common and about twice the cost.
Absolutely!

That was the point of the question. Is there a problem in moving to one oil? What is the problem?
Yes, there is. If the manufacturer specifies 5W30 for your driving conditions... use that. If the manufacturer specifies 5W20... use that. If you want to use a different weight oil, that decision should be made for each engine design uniquely, especially those with oil activated valve trains and the like, and there are very few reasons why you'd conclude you should do so in the first place (on a healthy engine), examples being: (1) it's a race/track car, (2) you live in extreme cold or heat, (3) the vehicle is used for max weight towing regularly.

You literally have to buy/store a couple different types of oil in your case. That's easy. This entire discussion is more complicated than that.

Yes, there is. If the manufacturer specifies 5W30 for your driving conditions... use that. If the manufacturer specifies 5W20... use that. If you want to use a different weight oil, that decision should be made for each engine design uniquely, especially those with oil activated valve trains and the like, and there are very few reasons why you'd conclude you should do so in the first place (on a healthy engine), examples being: (1) it's a race/track car, (2) you live in extreme cold or heat, (3) the vehicle is used for max weight towing regularly.
They both have a 5W winter rating. How are they different at that "extreme cold"?

They both have a 5W winter rating. How are they different at that "extreme cold"?

I'm speaking generally. And they wouldn't be. Extreme cold is not the "upper midwest" though. Unless you're in Minnesota... that place is cold.

My point is... it's a couple different oil bottles you have to get. It's not solving world hunger.

Guys, I live in socal. The extreme cold is not the end of the temperature spectrum I ever see. It's the extreme heat that my vehicles regularly operate in. The truck tows the Jeep in the heat, the Jeep drives slowly in the heat while off-road.

Went out to the garage to check what I had. Looks like I made a decision on the GMC to move to 5w30 M1 EP last time I changed the oil about a year ago.

Good stuff 👍👍👍

Back