One oil For GM/Flex/Jeep?

I'm trying to reduce the oils I keep around the garage.

We have:
2013 Ford Flex, 3.5L (non-turb0) which specifies WSS-M2C945-A 5w20,
2014 GMC 1500 5.3L which specifies Dexos1 0w20
2018 Jeep JL 3.6L which specifies MS-6395 0w20

I'm open to either a M1 oil or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

Since I live in southern California and rarely see extreme cold, I'm thinking about going to a viscosity skewed toward hot climate operations, at least for the hot season. So, I was thinking about Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 or even the 10w30. That oil covers the specs for the GMC and Jeep, but not the Ford.

I'm also open to going to a cold weather oil for the Jeep and GMC when operating in extreme cold.

Looking for your opinions.

Any typical 0w20 would be fine, I don't think Mobil has the MS-6395 cert anymore, but the Pennzoil should.

If you want 5w30 personally I would use Pennzoil as it is a very light 30 grade, but I also don't think that's necessary, the 20 grade is just fine all year.

One concern is the GMC, as it has the AFM lifter system. My last truck made it to about 150,000 before the AFM lifters went south.

Anyone have insight as to whether a viscosity deviation from the recommended 0w20 will help or hurt?

Any Dexos oil should also cover Ford and Chrysler's recommendations. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum does not carry Dexos approval FYI

Whatever you pick for your GMC will cover your Jeep as far as a 0w-20, and would probably also work in your Ford. as the difference between a 0w- and a 5w- only becomes apparent when you approach or get colder than 32*F. SOPUS has starting noting that their 0w-20 oils can also cover 5w-20.

If you want to fill your Ford with 5w-20, pretty much any will work.

Any Dexos oil should also cover Ford and Chrysler's recommendations. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum does not carry Dexos approval FYI

Whatever you pick for your GMC will cover your Jeep as far as a 0w-20, and would probably also work in your Ford. as the difference between a 0w- and a 5w- only becomes apparent when you approach or get colder than 32*F. SOPUS has starting noting that their 0w-20 oils can also cover 5w-20.

If you want to fill your Ford with 5w-20, pretty much any will work.
More like -30F.

I would be guided by the Jeep which I assume you still have warranty remaining.
At that point you're at a 0W-20. I believe Mobil 1 has the MS-6395 rating again, from a post earlier this week.

Found it.

Last edited:
I would be guided by the Jeep which I assume you still have warranty remaining.
At that point you're at a 0W-20. I believe Mobil 1 has the MS-6395 rating again, from a post earlier this week.

Found it.

I've been using Mobil 1 in all of them, including the Jeep JL (even though MS-6395 wasn't documented) for the past couple years. But I want to see if going to a single oil viscosity and brand is reasonable and still offers some of the best protection.

Why the heck do you want to have 1 oil for all of these cars? Just get the oil that's specified. You are creating a problem that otherwise would not exist.

I've transitioned my fleet to Mobil 1 5W30 ESP. I am eagerly awaiting NAPA to put it on sale again for $5.49 a quart. Tough to beat the 504/507 spec.

The 3.5 oiling system is the same whether or not it's the NA or EB. 5w-30 will work fine in your non-turbo, just the same as it does in the turbo.

Jeep 3.6 was originally 5w-30 also.

Totally agree with a 30 in your climate.
Incorrect on Jeep 3.6 as he has newest version.

If they were mine I'd run either Mobil 1 0W30 or 5W30 ESP and call it a day. But I have a friend in a Jeep dealership so using a 30 grade while under warranty wouldn't be an issue, if I were to be called out on it. ;)

Why the heck do you want to have 1 oil for all of these cars? Just get the oil that's specified. You are creating a problem that otherwise would not exist.
That was the point of the question. Is there a problem in moving to one oil? What is the problem?

Last edited:
Back