ONCE AND FOR ALL, THE BEST OIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
How can you define best? As others have said most oils today are good and provide good results. In my case M1 oils have performed great for 31 years in many different cars and some with high mileage. The same for my family. By the way no one in the family has had an engine replaced.
Others here on BITOG report the same thing with their oil choice as well, so I would say stick with what works well for you.

I would define "best" along the lines of what's important to me (whether it's UOA results, fuel economy, engine sound, whatever). Then I'd try a couple oils that I feel might meet my criteria for "best" and see how they performed. It might take some time, and I know I probably won't get scientific results, but still, I can do a lot to narrow the boundaries.

Originally Posted By: strombony
I know which brand he favors over most. :)

Do you? Which exactly would that be?
wink.gif
You get one guess. And if you don't post the correct answer within six hours, you're banned (j/k, not really, but do you know???).

crackmeup2.gif

I've ran: Havoline, Mobil 1 (synthetic & Mobil Clean 5000),
Amsoil XL and now ASL,and none of these oils let me down
thumbsup2.gif

So in my case,I cannot pick a "best oil", as they all have performed like what they were supposed to do
LOL.gif

I think we get a bit too worked up about oil...

I was in at a local lube shop recently for an e-test on my Explorer and saw a guy I knew from years past. He had a Dodge pick-up in for an oil change. I asked how often he changes the oil and he told me every 2-3 years! (he uses synthetic which would be a group III at this lube shop) I was shocked and then asked how many miles he has put on it expecting it won't last and can't have gone far. He replied 450,000 so far....

The kv100/HTHS ratio has already been done in March 08 by jpr:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1118409

** 10W30 **
Redline Synthetic 10W-30 2.82
Mobil Mobil 1 10W-30 3.18
Mobil Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30 3.22
Shell Quaker State Peak Performance 10W-30 3.28
Shell Pennzoil Multigrade 10W-30 3.35
Mobil Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10W-30 3.45

** 10w40 **
Redline Synthetic 10W-40 3.11
Fuchs Titan GT1 10W-40 3.38
Mobil Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40 3.62
Shell Pennzoil Multigrade 10W-40 3.68

** 5w30 **
Redline Synthetic 5W-30 2.79
Fuchs Titan GT1 5W-30 3.18
Fuchs Titan GT1 Longlife III 5W-30 3.24
meguin megol Motorenol Quality 5W-30 3.29
Fuchs Titan Supersyn (SL) 5W-30 3.31
Castrol Syntec 5W-30 3.32
Shell Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 3.32
Shell Pennzoil Platinum European Formulation Ultra 5W-30 3.34
Amsoil ASL 100% Synthetic 5W-30 3.34
Shell Helix Plus S 5W-30 3.37
Shell Quaker State Peak Performance 5W-30 3.39
Fuchs Titan Supersyn Longlife 5W-30 3.4
Castrol SLX Professional LLIII Powerflow 5W-30 3.4
Fuchs Titan Supersyn F 5W-30 3.41
Shell Q High RPM 5W-30 3.42
Shell Q European Formulation Ultra Diesel 5W-30 3.43
Shell Pennzoil Platinum European Formulation Ultra Diesel 5W-30 3.43
ConocoPhilips Phillips66 TropArtic Synthetic Blend 5W-30 3.48
ConocoPhilips 76 Super Synthetic Blend 5W-30 3.48
ConocoPhilips Conoco Syncon All Season Synthetic Blend 5W-30 3.48
Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30 3.49
Shell Pennzoil Multigrade 5W-30 3.5
ConocoPhilips Phillips66 TropArtic Full Synthetic 5W-30 3.5
ConocoPhilips 76 High Performance Full Synthetic 5W-30 3.5
ConocoPhilips Conoco Syncon High Performance Synthetic 5W-30 3.5
Shell Q Advanced 5W-30 3.51
Shell Q Horsepower 5W-30 3.51
Mobil Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 3.55
ConocoPhilips 76 Super High Mileage Synthetic Blend 5W-30 3.6
ConocoPhilips Kendall GT-1 High Mileage Synthetic Blend 5W-30 3.6
Royal Purple Royal Purple 5W-30 3.66
Mobil Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-30 3.66
Mobil Mobil 1 5W-30 3.66
ConocoPhilips Kendall GT-1 High Performance Synthetic Blend 5W-30 4.08

** 5w40 **
Redline Synthetic 5W-40 3.28
Shell Q Horsepower 5W-40 3.56
Fuchs Titan Supersyn Plus (SL PD) 5W-40 3.59
ChevronTexaco Havoline Synthetic (2) 5W-40 3.63
Mobil Mobil 1 5W-40 3.64
meguin megol Super Leichtlauf 5W-40 3.7
Amsoil AFL European Car Formula 5W-40 3.7
ChevronTexaco Havoline Synthetic 5W-40 3.71
Shell Pennzoil Platinum European Formulation 5W-40 3.72
Shell Q European Formulation 5W-40 3.72
ConocoPhilips 76 Pure Synthetic 5W-40 3.76
ConocoPhilips Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic 5W-40 3.76
Fuchs Titan Supersyn (SL) 5W-40 3.81
ChevronTexaco Havoline Ultra 5W-40 4
Shell Helix Plus S 5W-40 4

** Others **
Amsoil SSO Signature Series 0W-30 3.22
ChevronTexaco Havoline Synthetic 0W-30 3.24
Fuchs Titan Supersyn (SL) 0W-30 3.4
Shell Helix Ultra 0W-40 3.7
Mobil Mobil 1 0W-40 3.78 [/quote]

I can't believe I'm fixing to say this, but if your in doubt which is best, write your congressman. They surely know what's best for us.
grin2.gif

FrankN4, thanks for your efforts. Looking forward to your study.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FrankN4
One of the things I am doing now is comparing GP II/+ to GP III to GP IV. If I get to release that, it is really impressive, at least to me.

What do you mean, "If I get to release that?" Do you mean that you don't have permission to release your own study? Or do you mean that you may not get around to it? or ?

Some in this thread, and many in other threads state - UOA is the only way. But we all know the shortcomings of UOAs. But they can be one piece of the puzzle.

I think AEHaas has it right. Folks should look carefully at their application (engine, driving, etc). And then go to the spec sheets and pick an oil that lines up well in strengths vs. the various stresses of your app.

This method brings the joy of intelligent and reasoned thought to the process of oil choice. The UOA can then give some info as to whether you did your homework correctly.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Castor Bean oil is the best for selected racing applications

thumbsup2.gif

I don't doubt that. I have used castor oil before and it sure speeded me up.
smirk2.gif

Some of the old TT motorcycle engines used castor bean oil. IIRC, it was THE oil for the Isle of Man TT. That was back when everyone knew who Mike Hailwood was, NSU made great motorcycles, and a Harley Davidson was way overpriced at $1,800.00.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: saaber1
One of the things I am doing now is comparing GP II/+ to GP III to GP IV. If I get to release that, it is really impressive, at least to me.

What do you mean, "If I get to release that?" Do you mean that you don't have permission to release your own study? Or do you mean that you may not get around to it? or ?

Legally I did not do the UOA's, did not authorize them, and only take them from public display. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the labs that did the UOA's. I cannot reveal what I learned from independent labs as to the percentages of what group oils, VII, and other proprietary information. There is more, but, according to my attorney I could open myself up to the wrath of the oil companies by doing a release of a research paper. I would have to come up with a disclaimer that would satisfy my attorney and one that would be so effective as to almost say don't bother reading this.
crazy2.gif

What I can legally do, is give "MY OPINIONS," on an open forum, and say this is what I learned and how I learned this.

This was to help someone else and is not part of an academic paper for me. I did my two thesis and my dissertation, and I am finished academically though I hope I never stop learning.

I will admit that it has been a lot of fun and very interesting. It helped me to understand how ignorant I was about lubrication, more so than oil. In fact, I think that if we were to think more along the lines of 'LUBRICATION" than of motor oil, we might take a giant step forward.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
The best oil is the one that protects the best. The only way to determine that is by doing a uoa.

I will have to respectfully disagree. The best way to determine the oil that protects the best is through engine tear-down and close examination of the engine parts. There are many misconceptions about what an UOA can tell you about your engine, as has been documented by the experts many times on this forum.

A UOA is a very good way to determine the condition of an oil and when it should be replaced. It is not a good way to determine what affect the oil actually has on the engine. For that, you need to bypass second-hand information, and look directly at the engine itself.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I can't believe I'm fixing to say this, but if your in doubt which is best, write your congressman. They surely know what's best for us.
grin2.gif

FrankN4, thanks for your efforts. Looking forward to your study.

hehehe...that's just too funny!

Originally Posted By: saaber1

Legally I did not do the UOA's, did not authorize them, and only take them from public display. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the labs that did the UOA's. I cannot reveal what I learned from independent labs as to the percentages of what group oils, VII, and other proprietary information. There is more, but, according to my attorney I could open myself up to the wrath of the oil companies by doing a release of a research paper. I would have to come up with a disclaimer that would satisfy my attorney and one that would be so effective as to almost say don't bother reading this.
crazy2.gif

What I can legally do, is give "MY OPINIONS," on an open forum, and say this is what I learned and how I learned this.

This was to help someone else and is not part of an academic paper for me. I did my two thesis and my dissertation, and I am finished academically though I hope I never stop learning.

I will admit that it has been a lot of fun and very interesting. It helped me to understand how ignorant I was about lubrication, more so than oil. In fact, I think that if we were to think more along the lines of 'LUBRICATION" than of motor oil, we might take a giant step forward.

just publish the results as a novel
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Castor Bean oil is the best for selected racing applications

thumbsup2.gif

I don't doubt that. I have used castor oil before and it sure speeded me up.
smirk2.gif

Some of the old TT motorcycle engines used castor bean oil. IIRC, it was THE oil for the Isle of Man TT. That was back when everyone knew who Mike Hailwood was, NSU made great motorcycles, and a Harley Davidson was way overpriced at $1,800.00.
shocked2.gif

I know who Mike Hailwood was etc.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back