Once again, TPMS has saved me; and tire shopping?

Turns out we may have a Discount Tire in the suburbs here. (Yelp says we do; DT's own website says the nearest store is 70 miles away.) Conti Pure Contacts are $177 each, about the same as Tire Rack. The Pro Contact TX model, with a shorter tread life, is $161.

Last edited:
Turns out we may have a Discount Tire in the suburbs here. (Yelp says we do; DT's own website says the nearest store is 70 miles away.) Conti Pure Contacts are $177 each, about the same as Tire Rack. The Pro Contact TX model, with a shorter tread life, is $161.
ouch, these prices hurt!

A few days ago, I picked up a screw in that same RR tire! It was in the repairable zone, and while it was a very slow leak -- 15 lbs. in 10 days -- still I knew I'd better see to it. The local Tire Choice place still has the same crew as when they were Twin Tire. No upsells, 25 minutes and $20, and I was driving home.

This has got to be the 4th nail or screw I've gotten with this car in the 16 months I've had it!

Last edited:
Tires bought at Costco have a lifetime flat repair warranty. Goodyear also repairs flats for free, they don't even charge for the balancing. The local Town Fair Tire does free flat repairs but charges $4 for balancing.

I called Tire Rack today, and as I suspected, they are closed until Monday. I'd really prefer to talk to them before I order. Well, if they can ship Monday, my mechanic still might get the tires by Tuesday or Wednesday, and I can go in the next day to have them installed.

A few days ago, I picked up a screw in that same RR tire! It was in the repairable zone, and while it was a very slow leak -- 15 lbs. in 10 days -- still I knew I'd better see to it. The local Tire Choice place still has the same crew as when they were Twin Tire. No upsells, 25 minutes and $20, and I was driving home.

This has got to be the 4th nail or screw I've gotten with this car in the 16 months I've had it!

Good thing they weren't carpet tacks, I've seen what happens if you run over those... remember Blues Brothers? your watch could've been broken

Just triggered TireRack to ship 4 Continental PureContact LS tires, 235/50R18 (the stock size), to my mechanic's shop in the suburbs. TR says they may arrive tomorrow or Wednesday, so on Wed. or Thurs. I'll go in for the installation. He can do my 6-month oil change at the same time, and the big red car will be more ready for 2021 than I am!

It is time to tire shop, but YOU decide when to buy... I think you were wise to hold off a bit.

Is this for the 2016 Buick LaCrosse Premium? I would put a set of REAL nice tires on that bad boy, Continental PureContact's like I have on my V6 Camry. The RT43 is a good VALUE tire. The PC is a great PREMIUM tire.
It was your post that made me start looking at Continentals, along with the good experience I had with the BMW 3 Series and its Conti run-flats. When I came home from my mechanic's shop this morning, the route is about 50/50 good roads/bad. The Contis felt and sounded fantastic on the good stretches, and good on the bad ones. Thanks for the tip!

After a with the Continentals, I find they ride superbly (I've been leaving them at the placard pressure of 33 for a little softer ride on these horrible streets). Plan to pump them to 34-35 this weekend and see how they go. They were a good choice for the Buick and good-looking as well.

After a with the Continentals, I find they ride superbly (I've been leaving them at the placard pressure of 33 for a little softer ride on these horrible streets). Plan to pump them to 34-35 this weekend and see how they go. They were a good choice for the Buick and good-looking as well.
On top of that, Tire Rack just offered me a free AccuTire gauge for filling out a survey and mini-review for my Continentals. Good customer relations.

Back