On the pinch weld or not ... any consensus ...

So is there any consensus on how to jack a car while using the pinch weld ?

I've read numerous blog, forum post etc etc and ... its still not clear

1- Should we push UNDER the pinch weld with a slotted rubber or wood craddle not touching the rocker panel or .... ?

2- Should we push each side of the pinch weld (rocker only ) without touching it at all with a slotted piece of rubber or wood .....?

3- Should we push under and on both side (rocker ) of the pinch weld ?

What is your pick ? 1-2 or 3 ?

My pick is #2 so far all is good

I've read a few repair manual available online and , there is some sort of consensus.

Most advise if not all to jack from the center of the front and rear crossmember and or on very precise dedicated locations and to use the pinch weld only for the jack stands during tire replacement , whos doing that ?

I use these on my jack stands,

18M-P04_e30d33e2-aab3-4ac4-94f9-8aa700ac36a1_1024x1024.jpg

and these on my floor jack,

514cTpLQqvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It really depends on the vehicle. Clearly, some cars can be lifted from the seam with proper equipment. My Honda S2000 had such soft sheet metal, I could actually bend it using my fingers. Despite the fact that the car is specifically designed to be jacked/lifted from the rocker panel seam, with specific owner manual instructions, any attempts at doing so resulted in bent sheet metal. It was far better to get under the car with a low profile jack and use the subframe.

It was one of the reasons I got rid of the car, as the thing was made of Honda Civic parts, soft sheet metal and was nowhere near as good as the "hype" would suggest. It was a flexible-flyer and unpredictable handling characteristics were the result.
YGpzmgI.jpg

On my Camaro, which is more difficult than any other vehicle I had experience with, I installed lifting pads onto the pinch welds. This way, I can just use a low profile jack with a pad when need be without worrying about the tight/critical placement of where I lift given tricky situation on this specific vehicle.

It really depends on the vehicle.
^This.
When the kids were young, we hauled them around in Ford Aerostars. One thing you never want to do in an rust-belt Aerostar is to lift them on a pinch weld. If done, it will buckle and the rust accelerates in that area. Once, I specifically told a tire man not to lift it on the pinch weld and he did it anyway, buckling a large area. Nothing seems to be done right unless you do it yourself.

^This.
When the kids were young, we hauled them around in Ford Aerostars. One thing you never want to do in an rust-belt Aerostar is to lift them on a pinch weld. If done, it will buckle and the rust accelerates in that area. Once, I specifically told a tire man not to lift it on the pinch weld and he did it anyway, buckling a large area. Nothing seems to be done right unless you do it yourself.
Same thing happened to my 91Previa. Tire tech jacked the rocker arms, which were not meant to be jacked. This car had no pinch welds surprisingly. It had dedicated support areas installed on cross members. Tire tech ended up bending the body, to my chagrin.

Guys I appreciate all your answer however they are fo the most answering only half of the question :)
For the one using the pinch weld with puck wood adaptor

1- are they touching only UNDER the pinch weld or not ?
2- Are the not toutching under the pinch weld but only on the rocker each side of the pinch weld ?
3- or are they touching on all 3 spots ( under PW, and on the rocker from each side of the PW ?

:)

I always use any part of the front subframe/cross member or rear axle when I’m working at home.
Of course if you’re out on the hiwy and get a flat, ya gotta use the vehicle's jack & the pinch welds.:cautious:

Last edited:
How many people have hockey pucks lying around? And how do you cut a slot into one? Isn't it hard rubber? Why risk slicing your hand open when you can find them on ebay for a few bucks. https://www.ebay.com/itm/144297064092?hash=item2198c6769c:g:9~oAAOSwuW9hlyAp
suburban dc. figures. you don't have to do that it was just a suggestion, its something about the beltway the turns people into cynical tyrants. want to police everyone else while simultaneously b*tching that people want to do it their own way.

suburban dc. figures. you don't have to do that it was just a suggestion, its something about the beltway the turns people into cynical tyrants. want to police everyone else while simultaneously b*tching that people want to do it their own way.
Just asked how many people have hockey pucks and how to cut a slot into one without risking a trip to the ER, when you can get a purpose made jack pad for a few dollars. If that's bitchin, awesome!

Back