OMG MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
MMO should change their name from Marvel Mystery Oil to Marvel Miracle Oil. I tried it in '00 MB E430 last year along with PP 5W20 against the recommendation M1 0W40, the engine was quieter, coolant temperature was lower while passing Death Valley on the way to Vegas in summer and fuel economy improved too, but no improvement in performance. I don't know if it was MMO or PP 5W20 was the main contribution, may be both.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I would bet it cleaned up your upper cylnder and rings. I would think that after a few tanks of gas you probably do not need to use it every tank. I will probable use it every third or fourth fill up.

The advantage of using it in every tank is as a UCL, however it is not a strong cleaner so it might take a while to completely clean everything up.

At the price, there's no reason not to use it - especially with the very dry gas we get these days (E10)...

Originally Posted By: af0h
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I would bet it cleaned up your upper cylnder and rings. I would think that after a few tanks of gas you probably do not need to use it every tank. I will probable use it every third or fourth fill up.

The advantage of using it in every tank is as a UCL, however it is not a strong cleaner so it might take a while to completely clean everything up.

At the price, there's no reason not to use it - especially with the very dry gas we get these days (E10)...

+1 and adding it becomes a habit, at least for me.

I will definitely keep adding it to the gas at every fill-up. I just want to find a store that sells it by the gallon so I don't have to make as many trips to Walmart. I'm going on a trip today to visit my gf's parents about 60 miles away and will check the Walmart there if we have time. The one here does not have the gallon containers. Otherwise I'll just buy up a bunch of quart bottles.

In the 35+ years I've been using it I never bought a gallon of it. I used to watch the papers and Auto Barn would run it for $1.99/ qt and I would go Hog Wild buying it. I still have probably 10 of the old metal qt cans of it. I was buying it recently from AAP to get some of my purchases up to $25 to use the $10 off coupons. Boy am I going to miss those coupons!

My local WalMart doesn't carry the gallons, but buying 4 qts from WalMart is actually cheaper than a gallon at AZ.

I wish their bottles had the clear strip on the side, and sealed better, it would make dosing easier.

I know what you mean. I am hesitant to carry it in my truck for fill-ups away from home because of the leaky bottle. So far though I have been dosing here at home anyway. I buy gas at the B J's Warehouse where my gf works. It's only 4 miles from our house. Sooner or later I will come up with some other empty Regane container or something to carry MMO with me but for now I just pour out of the quart bottle into one of the samller MMO pint bottles and I can adjust it till it's the right amount. The lights in my garage are plenty bright enough and I can see the level of MMO thru the side, but I wish it had the clear strip too.

I took an empty bottle of Red Line FI cleaner, they're clear. I made marks every 2 oz on the bottle, they seal tight no leaks. A lot of guys were saying the MMO bottles leaked if spilled and the Lucas QT bottles were problems for them as well. So not to tempt fate I use the tight sealing RL bottles. Works great, and I add it before I pump the gas for a complete mix.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Oh and one other thing I noticed coming home today was when I was running 75 mph and just over 2000 RPM on the turnpike, my oil pressure was up higher than it used to be at that RPM. It stayed there too. Before I used MMO in the oil, the oil pressure would be up then drop down to just over halfway on the gauge when the engine and the oil heated up to operating temperature. The old reading at operating temp was probably 60 psi, and now with MMO I would say its at 75 psi and steady at 2100 RPM. There are no numbers on my gauge, just a low and high normal scale.

Something else it did is when driving in traffic the oil pressure gauge moves faster and it has a more consistent steady increase as I go through the gears. Before MMO, it kind of crept up slowly and as I shifted it would drop down quickly then come back up slowly. Now it's a more fluid measurement that still drops down a bit as I shift but it comes right back and keeps increasing on the sweep of the gauge.

This all tells me MMO is helping my engine. MMO works great. Anyone who reads this and is thinking about trying it, go for it.

Normally MMO would not affect oil pressure, but it is possible that you had some buildup in the oil pump itself that the MMO cleaned it up to allow it to pump to it's fullest capability.

MMO will also help clean out oil passages from sludge and varnish (I think varnish IS a problem for restricting oil flow and locking in heat to cause the engine to run hotter) to allow better oil flow through the whole system.

I had wondered whether to add it before pumping or after. I read a few posts that guys said it didn't matter, the action of driving will mix the MMO and fuel in the tank anyway. I think the tech advisor on the MMO website said the same thing, but his recommended method was to add before pumping the gas. I always add Regane before adding fuel but it's an exact amount for "up to 22 gallons of fuel". I can usually tell by looking at my fuel gauge how much gas it will take to fill up though, so as soon as I can get a better container for MMO I can take it with me to the gas station and add MMO according to the amount of gallons it takes to fill up. I figure the gas in the tank before I buy the new gas already has the right amount of MMO in it.

I wonder what effect it would have if I added MMO at home then went to the gas station 4 miles away and filled up then? I usually have about 7 gallons in the tank when I go to fill up. I try not to let the fuel level get below 1/4 tank full. So if 7 gallons has roughly 5 ounces MMO in it and I add another 6 ounces (4 ounces per 10gallons for the 15 gallons it will take to fill up) to the original 7 gallons in the tank, and drive 4 miles at 40 mph or so down to the gas station, would it hurt anything? I wonder if that would be like a mini-overdose on MMO and cause problems?

The issue with gallon jugs is that no nozzle seems to fit on them, and the pour poorly... makes it really tough to get MMO out without lots ofresidues all over the place to clean up.

Normally MMO would not affect oil pressure, but it is possible that you had some buildup in the oil pump itself that the MMO cleaned it up to allow it to pump to it's fullest capability.

MMO will also help clean out oil passages from sludge and varnish (I think varnish IS a problem for restricting oil flow and locking in heat to cause the engine to run hotter) to allow better oil flow through the whole system. [/quote]

That makes perfect sense and to me is one more really good reason to keep using MMO. Thanks for the info.

I cannot see how MMO would NOT effect oil pressure. It is a different viscosity than the bulk oil, and so the resultant sold and operating viscosity will be something along the mines of the number average of the contents of MMO and the main oil.

It may only be small, but it should have an effect on the characteristics of the oil.

I found that MMO typically will get oil pressure to build faster in colder weather. When the oil reaches operating temps it is usually the same or slightly lower, slightly.

Went on my 120 mile round trip today with my girlfriend to visit her parents. Oil pressure is back to normal reading, even at 60 mph. I think what happened yesterday was just I was turning a few more RPM and going much faster on the turnpike and that caused a higher oil pressure reading. My oil pressure is now reading normal or slightly below normal depending on the RPM so you are right again Damarpaint. It does build oil pressure somewhat faster with the engine cold too. Truck is still running great on cold starts too. I will really be able to test that the next few days as we are due for some lows in the 40s and highs only in the upper 60s tonight through next week. I still have the improved movement on the oil pressure gauge too, and the truck is still running so much better, smoother and much quieter than without MMO.

I'm hoping when the weather warms back up the MMO in the gas will improve my MPG. It looks like I am still getting around 17 MPG right now, just by looking at the gauge and guessing. But it is great to be getting 17 MPG and have better performance and the benefits of MMO's lubrication and UCL and internal engine cleaning properties.

I stopped at a really big Walmart Super Store south of here and picked up 4 quarts of MMO and 2 bottles of Regane Fuel System Cleaner. Even this store, as big as it is only had 5 quart bottles and 3 or 4 pint bottles on the shelf. I asked the guy at the Tire & Lube place if they had gallon jugs of MMO and he said he had never seen it in gallons before, the quart and pint bottles are all they sell. It doesn't matter, 4 qts are cheaper than a one gallon bottle anyway. Soon as I use the Regane I will save the bottle and see how it does for carrying MMO to the gas station.

If anyone lives in the mid-west and there is a Meijer around, you can get good deals on MMO.

Their quart bottle price is $3.69 (this week) so it is just a few cents lower than Wal-Mart. However, Meijer often prints out the $5 off $25 coupons so you can get the quart bottles (for a net cost of below $3 per quart) cheaper than the gallon price at Wal-Mart (on a per quart basis)

I just picked up 6 quarts today (along with little other stuffs so I can use the coupon).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
This thread is in danger of being locked for being too obsequious!

Had to look that word up, LOL I'm still trying to figure out why though?

Obsequious- adjective: groveling, submissive. Synonyms: abject , beggarly, brownnosing ... adjective: contented. Synonyms: conceited , confident, easy-going, egoistic ...

For on-the-road applications of MMO, I use an old Sta-Bil bottle - the one with 2 spouts. The small one has the marks, just squeeze the bottle to fill it.

I peeled the label off and put an MMO sticker on it so I don't get them mixed up.

I just started to use MMO. Does this mean I've started to grovel? And a synonyme is to brown-nose, me brown-nose, thats gotta be a joke if their ever was one, hehehe.

Thanks for the lookup demarpaint.

Checked my oil this morining before heading out on a couple of errands. It was right in the middle between full and add. It was a lot darker than when I checked it a couple of days ago so I know the MMO is doing some serious cleaning. It still started up in just a half second too. Truck is still running smoother and quieter and stll has more power on MMO too. MMO really does work. The reason I have posted in this thread so much is because I am just so overwhelmed and impressed with the difference MMO has made for my truck. I hope it will help my engine and fuel system stay cleaner, run better and last a really long time. I don't want to have to buy a new truck any time in the next few years.

I'm going to fill up an empty MMO pint bottle with 8 ounces and take it with me today because I will probably need gas later on. I can stand it up in the map pocket on the door and it shouldn't leak. I have a big ziplock bag that can fit the bottle and the funnel I use for MMO.

MMO works great. Anyone who is considering trying it should go ahead and do it. 4 ounces to 10 gallons of gas at every fillup and use it in the oil, 10 to 20% of your total oil fill just like the directions indicate. I hope everybody who tries it gets the great results from it like I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back