Omega 3's linked to Prostate Cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://healthland.time.com/2013/07/11/ho...risk-of-cancer/

I wish our health industry would decide what is right for us to consume and what is not. Quite a few years back I remember the alternative to butter (margarine or vegetable oil) was good for you, and avoiding olive oil and other fatty oils were good. Now they are reversing that and saying consume all the butter, olive oil, and bacon your diet normally includes, and supplement it with Omega 3's like flaxseed and salmon.

Now Omega 3's are on the black list. Great. I eat a bowl of oatmeal every morning with two tablespoons of flaxseed and at night we have fruit shakes with flax seed. Once a week we eat fish of some sort.

I suppose for every good food there is a downside. Maybe this is a flag to enjoy life while you can and prepare for eternity...

although Jack LaLayne lived quite long!

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
I wish our health industry would decide what is right for us to consume and what is not.

Common sense will prevail. Everything in moderation, lots of physical activity, and no "supplements". There is no silver bullet.

Yep, everything in moderation, and review *your* risks, not others. I'm reminded of how currently alcohol is "good" if Alzheimers runs in the family, and "bad" if cancer runs in the family: drink or avoid depending upon your genes.

Heh, reading that article took my mind off in different direction. You know how we spay/neuter dogs/cats? They live longer lives, and are calmer too? Breast cancer in women, prostate cancer in men... Obviously sex drive is driven by other means, but for some reason the connection popped up in my head. Maybe some day we'll start willingly giving up those bits which "determine" sexuality for the chance to have longer lives.

There is a thread about this somewhere with the same shock value article with misleading title!

Vitamin C, when combined the sodium bezoate (a common low cost preservative) creates BENZENE locally, which can readily damage DNA. The danger of this is that Vitamin C is present in all cells and is required for life. When Sodium Bezoate enters the cell, the liberation of BENZENE is happening inside the cell!

"In combination with ascorbic acid (vitamin C, E300), sodium benzoate and potassium benzoate form benzene, a known carcinogen."

Guess what, try living without Vitamin C
smile.gif

Likewise, try living without any Omega3 EFAs
wink.gif

I went to college with a guy whose brother was in med school. He said his brother told him it scared him greatly to find out how many things can kill you. So my take, Without ignoring sound medical advice, live what you believe is a sensible life and ignore the radical headlines. By the way, I saw a study that shows more Castrol users are dying early since they went from the hexagonal caps to the round ones so please don't buy the new bottles.

I would not put much stock in this study. It was poorly done and really makes little sense for the results they are claiming. Always be skeptical of what the mainstream media picks up with regard to medical information.
The preponderance of the evidence from many studies show the benefits of omega 3s.

There was a thread here recently on this sane topic. One study shows it is good for the body and one says its not good for the body.

Any "study" that's used to tout a product, and not done by an impartial organization, should be viewed skeptically, to say the least. Cancer seems like an epidemic mainly because we are no longer dying from all the other things that used to kill us, which no longer do. Don't drink, don't smoke, and don't do drugs, and you'll beat half the risk factors right there.

Originally Posted By: supton
Yep, everything in moderation, and review *your* risks, not others. I'm reminded of how currently alcohol is "good" if Alzheimers runs in the family, and "bad" if cancer runs in the family: drink or avoid depending upon your genes.

Heh, reading that article took my mind off in different direction. You know how we spay/neuter dogs/cats? They live longer lives, and are calmer too? Breast cancer in women, prostate cancer in men... Obviously sex drive is driven by other means, but for some reason the connection popped up in my head. Maybe some day we'll start willingly giving up those bits which "determine" sexuality for the chance to have longer lives.

One-third of all dogs and humans will get cancer. My diet has little in relation to a dog's, but we seem to end up with the same outcome.

Best advice is stop getting nutritional advice from headlines and .gov agencies. It's all agenda. Use common sense and eat a lot of what a human would have ate thousands of years ago.

Originally Posted By: guyonearth
Any "study" that's used to tout a product, and not done by an impartial organization, should be viewed skeptically, to say the least. Cancer seems like an epidemic mainly because we are no longer dying from all the other things that used to kill us, which no longer do. Don't drink, don't smoke, and don't do drugs, and you'll beat half the risk factors right there.

And stay at a reasonable weight.

I'm pretty sure Japan eats a lot of fish. And it appears their prostate cancer rate is like a 1/4 of the US rate. Stomach cancer is high in Japan.

Link.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tenderloin
In areas that eat a lot of fish high in Omegas have more prostate cancer? From what I can find,they do not. If anyone has found otherwise please post.

I believe it has to do with the ratio omega6/omega3. One case study eskimo with a high 12-1 ratio had prostate cancer. The average was more like 4-1 amongst peer group which prostate cancer very low or non-existant.

Like wise in Japan the ratio is far lower than in the US.

When you buy a can of sardines soak in safflower oil - soybean oil it defeats the purpose in omega3 intake. The omega6/omega3 ratio is blown.

Check labels in process food - seems like soybean, corn safflower oil is so common so you get the picture - high omega6.

Originally Posted By: drfeelgood
I would not put much stock in this study. It was poorly done and really makes little sense for the results they are claiming. Always be skeptical of what the mainstream media picks up with regard to medical information.
The preponderance of the evidence from many studies show the benefits of omega 3s.

+1...look at how many times red wine has been good vs evil.

There is a lot of pressure for medical researchers to publish and justify their funding. As long as they come up with a study that finds a difference between two groups, and the statistics pass the 95% confidence level, they're good to publish.

Unfortunately, there are too many studies that barely pass the 95% confidence level, which isn't much difference at all. The only studies worth noting are the ones that show a huge unmistakable difference that can be seen without washing it through statistics, backed by a good technical explanation of why there is a difference.

Don't read too much into these "studies."

Originally Posted By: zerosoma

Great. I eat a bowl of oatmeal every morning with two tablespoons of flaxseed and at night we have fruit shakes with flax seed. Once a week we eat fish of some sort.

Your prostate is going to explode......
shocked2.gif

One doctor in Europe pointed out to me that they found smoking a cigarette every now and then will help stave off Alzheimers. Can you imagine that study broadcast in America?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back