Older Car in Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have access to a 1978 Chevy El Camino with about 55,000 on the odometer. It has been in the garage and I don't believe it has been driven in about 3-4 years - maybe longer. I took a look at the engine when I was home at Christmas and it was nasty. Seeps all around the gaskets of the manifold and VCs. I didn't pull the gas cap and smell. Tires were still up on it though. Ideally, I'd like to go through it before putting it on the road, but I don't have the time or tools there to do it nor do I know any of the old shops that I can trust anymore - home ain't like it used to be.

I'm trying to decide what to do with it since I have first dibs (it's my mother's). I live 650 miles from where it is garaged. Should I spend a few days with it and see how she runs before I drive it back, fill it up with fuel conditioner and hi-test gas and drive it back (no worries - right
21.gif
), or find a carrier to transport it for me?

Does anyone have a good checklist for finds like this they use to check mechanical conditions?

I'm kind of leaning towards change/check fluids, buy some spare fuel filters and put it on the road. Get it home and repair it once correctly.

I would at a minimum drain the fuel and fill with fresh. There's no way that gasoline will last 4-5 years without turning to paint thinner. Change the oil and filter. Check the carb for leaks. Check the brakes- they'll likely be stuck. A fuel filter and (maybe) fuel pump would be in order too. If I were you, I'd get it running and spend a day or so with it... then arrange for someone to follow me while I drove it home just in case. Either that or rent a car dolly from U-haul and tow it home.

If it was in the garage there's a chance the rotors aren't rusted so badly they won't work. I agree on gas & go-- if you can buy or borrow a 5 gal boat gas can and toss it in the bed and rig up a line you can get it home on that.

Lucky you, the smog motor in it is worth little and pretty much anything will fit and work: hopups abound. So if your carb is trash you can get a better one at a swap meet for $30.

And remember, there might be a reason it was parked that has since been forgotten.

How much fuel is in the tank?
A tank full of old fuel, while not a good thing, would at least have kept condensation at a minimum.
An almost empty tank, OTOH, will not be full of fuel you'll need to either drain or worry about.
How hard is it to change the fuel filter(s) on this thing?
I'd bring a couple along if you plan on driving it home.
I'd probably start the old beast and run it around locally for a day or two.
It will surely need a new battery.
I'd fill the tank with fresh gas, change the oil, and probably change the fuel filter.
If no problems after a hundred or so miles of local use, I'd probably drive it home.
The worst that might happen is that you'll end up either it putting on a dolly or paying someone to ship it home.
A long run would likely be good for the old dear.
I'd change the oil again when I got home, and probably the fuel filter.
If you decide to drive it home, please post your experiences here.
It would be a bit of an adventure, and is the kind of thing I would probably do.

and look for squirrels/nuts in the air cleaner and chewed wiring everywhere.

if its been sitting that long, i'd put some mmo or some light oil in each spark plug hole to lube the cylinders, so they don't wear while you are cranking it. You will probably have to crank it a bit to start it. Do a hundred miles or so on any hdeo oil even walmart, then your oil of choice. Several people on this board suggested this routine to me when i revived a low mileage ciera that had been sitting in the weather for 3 years.

No need to overhaul the car just to drive it home. Personally, I'd change the engine oil and filter, check all the fluids, check the tire pressures, put some octane-booster and/or 92 octane in the tank, make sure the air filter is clear, check over for MAJOR leaks, make sure the radiator hoses aren't about to pop... that's about it.

Make sure you have a good spare, extra fluids, duct tape, baling wire, and tools with you.

Since its been in a garaged things will be much more likely to work than if it was sitting outside. Prime the carb thru the vent tube, hook up the jumper cables and give it a go. If it runs drive it to the gas station for some fresh gas. Drive around for a couple of days and see what other problems show up then decide if you want to drive it or haul it home. As a side note my 69 Nova project car routinely sits for 2 years at at time (garaged) and has always fired right up with no problems.

Last edited:
1978 El Camino....naw THAT'S a rare ride! Sweet!

I wouldn't drive a 1978 car 650 miles that has been sitting for 3+ years. Transport it home, and go through it CAREFULLY before putting it on the road.

Drain and fill the tank.
Use a good fuel system cleaner in there, to try and get the deposits that have hardened in the carb out of there, as you drive it.
Change the oil and filter. A little shot of MMO in the cylinders is a good idea. Let it sit a while before cranking, and get new plugs while you are in there.
I'd yank the distributor and run the oil pump with a drill and an extension[before you crank it and start it] There is a part you can buy, or make your own from a long screwdriver/whatever.
Tires and brakes should be good, or don't drive it.
This will take time. Just driving it is not smart. It may go, but you and others are in jeopardy.

Thanks all. It's always a risk, time, money equation to figure out. I need to roll it out in the light next time I'm home and go through it more carefully to see what I'm up against. Part of me wants to believe that old Chevy will rock 'n roll and part of me says what the heck were you thinking!
lol.gif

I would drive it home after doing most of the things already recommended here. One thing I'd probably do first though is throw a new fuel pump on it. They're about $30 and easy to change, the rubber diaphragm can crack after a lot of years especially sitting. Make sure there are no leaks anywhere in the fuel lines, I've had one that was not leaking fuel but had a pinhole sucking air so it didn't want to stay primed. It still made it the 3 hour drive home from where I bought it but it was a little risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back