Okay to top off with Mobil 1 0W20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m leaving on a 2200 mile round trip Saturday in my Prius C. I need to top off the 0W20 (factory fill) , probably a ¼ qt or less will be required. I don’t think I would get into any trouble using the Mobil 1 0W20 I have in my stash for my other Prius. I could drop by my Toyota dealer though on the way home today and pick up a quart of TMO 0W20 if the consensus is to use only Toyota oil. I am about 3500 miles away from needing an oil change BTW. Thanks.

I wouldnt top off until it was at the add line, between full and add is within operating range.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
I wouldnt top off until it was at the add line, between full and add is within operating range.

I'm feeling somewhat similar. I don't really know why a new car would need a top off yet? My new cars over the years never seemed to use any oil, but I guess all cars are different.

Otherwise, if you have to top off, Mobil 1 would be perfect.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I wouldn't get OCD over a low tech four banger.
Why the hate?
Atkinson-cycle alum engine with offset crank centerline, moly coated hypereutectic piston /w mini slippers, DOHC SUB, variable valve timing, COP ignition with finewire iridium plugs, wideband o2, variable efficiency/volume oil pump, composite intake, multi-pattern FI?

But no turboand no di. Car gets killer fuel mileage. Sounds like a godsend

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Why the hate?
Atkinson-cycle alum engine with offset crank centerline, moly coated hypereutectic piston /w mini slippers, DOHC SUB, variable valve timing, COP ignition with finewire iridium plugs, wideband o2, variable efficiency/volume oil pump, composite intake, multi-pattern FI?

because we all know that horsepower is the one and only measure of technical advancements...

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc

I'm feeling somewhat similar. I don't really know why a new car would need a top off yet? My new cars over the years never seemed to use any oil, but I guess all cars are different.

Otherwise, if you have to top off, Mobil 1 would be perfect.

I am 6700 miles into my 10K oci. It looks to be down very little from the full mark, but that may be caused by the slight slope of my garage floor. I probably don't need to add any oil, but I'd like to start my trip at the full mark. Nice description ARCOgraphite. The little 1500cc 1NZ-FXE is a neat engine.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Why the hate?

because we all know that horsepower is the one and only measure of technical advancements...
Chuckle. Just to show this lil engine's specific output, if a 1.5L Toyota 1NZ-FE was upsized to a 5 liter eight it would make 353 horsepower in economy tune - not power tune. What does that do to Ford Coyote magic? Makes it look sorta lame
smile.gif

Don't even worry about 1/4 qt.
Check the oil again in a thousand or so miles and it will still be between the full and add marks on the dipstick.
It may be almost down to add when you hit 10K and change it, which would be perfect.
Once this little sucker is fully broken in, I'd think that you'll see nil consumption.

I checked it again this evening and actually it is right on the fill line. The oil is still such a light amber at 6700 miles that is is not easy to read it. At 5k the dealer topped off all the fluids but the engine didn't need any oil then either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back