Okay the New Ford Focus Gets....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys for leting me bounce the oil choices off you guys for my 2004 Ford Focus 2.0L Zetec. After alot of thought on warranty implications and the effects on the ultimate life of the car I have decided after a discussion with the dealer I do not want to run a 5W20 long term. I will run the Motorcraft out through 2500 ml (Changes at 300 and 1000 ml) and then change to my choice of oils.

Since I currently have 6 QT of German Castrol 0W-30 and it meets the requirements for 1 yr / 12500 ml extended drains set by Ford UK I will likely be going with the GC 0W30...

Comments?

Gene

I'd run the 5w-20 motorcraft (with multiple changes) till around 10k, then do a UOA on the last interval, then run some 0w-30 GC do a UOA, and compare the results.

Technically its theoretically possible that you could have LESS wear with the 5w-20 motorcraft. Don't discount the lightweight oils!

My son ran GC in his 2002 Zetec. Butt dyno and revs were noticeably down, as was mpg. My other Fords love the stuff, but IMO it is a tad thick for this engine.

He has been running Torco 5W-20, but just changed to Torco 5W-30(was to be used on my other Fords, but like I said they like GC so....)
Engine is quieter, but butt dyno senses a change.

I just bought my Focus in April. I got it used with 25k on it. I changed the oil and filter at 27.5k and I am coming up on a OCI soon. I am goin to get a UOA on it for sure. I was also skeptical about using 5-20 but it seems to work out fine to the naked eye.

Eric
01 Focus Zetec - Motorcraft 5w20
99 Maxima VQ30DE- Castrol Syntec Blend 10w30

[ June 22, 2004, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: Jackpot01 ]

If I were going with a 30 weight, my choice would be the Mobil 1 10w-30 since it is on the thin side of 30. This will give you a heavier oil without hurting fuel economy like the thick GC might.

Based on the ambient temperature of the Deep South, I think xw-30 will work great.

I have a 1996 Contour with the 2.0L Zetec. I've run either 5W-30 Mobil 1 or 5W-30 Exxon Superflo Synthetic and it ran really good, quiet and peppy. Went to Castrol Syntec 5W-50 for a while and there was a noticable loss of peppyness. Also engine starts were noisier. Of course in 1996 5W-20 didn't exist. Also, if your Zetec has the variable valve timing(VVT)I believe that it's very sensitive to good oil flow to work properly. Perhaps the GC being on the thicker side of 30 wt could cause problems
dunno.gif
. I'd stick with the Motorcraft 5W-20 at least for at 10,000 miles incase you have engine problems. That way the dealer/Ford can't give you any sh*t about not using the correct oil. After that if you want to go to 30 wt I'd use a "thinner" 30 wt., such as Mobil 1 5W-30. I think that a 10W-30 is too heavy for that engine and could hurt you with additional start up wear. Of course during the warranty period you'll still have to change the oil every 5,000 miles, whether you have synthetic oil or not. The Motorcraft 5W-20 is a real sleeper oil and seems to work real well, especially with engines recommended for it. Plus if you do fairly "normal" driving you can most likely do 5,000 mi OCI's. When you first get the car I'd change the oil at at least at 1,000 miles and do another at 3,000 miles then at 5,000 miles. Then every 5,000 miles after that. It would be a good idea to have an UOA done at the 10,000 mile oil change to see how it's holding up at 5,000 OCI's. Also this way you are flushing out the manufacturing crud without spending a lot of money on synthetics that are going to get dumped early.

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
I have a 1996 Contour with the 2.0L Zetec. I've run either 5W-30 Mobil 1 or 5W-30 Exxon Superflo Synthetic and it ran really good, quiet and peppy. Went to Castrol Syntec 5W-50 for a while and there was a noticable loss of peppyness. Also engine starts were noisier. Of course in 1996 5W-20 didn't exist. Also, if your Zetec has the variable valve timing(VVT)I believe that it's very sensitive to good oil flow to work properly. Perhaps the GC being on the thicker side of 30 wt could cause problems
dunno.gif
. I'd stick with the Motorcraft 5W-20 at least for at 10,000 miles incase you have engine problems. That way the dealer/Ford can't give you any sh*t about not using the correct oil. After that if you want to go to 30 wt I'd use a "thinner" 30 wt., such as Mobil 1 5W-30. I think that a 10W-30 is too heavy for that engine and could hurt you with additional start up wear. Of course during the warranty period you'll still have to change the oil every 5,000 miles, whether you have synthetic oil or not. The Motorcraft 5W-20 is a real sleeper oil and seems to work real well, especially with engines recommended for it. Plus if you do fairly "normal" driving you can most likely do 5,000 mi OCI's. When you first get the car I'd change the oil at at least at 1,000 miles and do another at 3,000 miles then at 5,000 miles. Then every 5,000 miles after that. It would be a good idea to have an UOA done at the 10,000 mile oil change to see how it's holding up at 5,000 OCI's. Also this way you are flushing out the manufacturing crud without spending a lot of money on synthetics that are going to get dumped early.

Whimsey

10W-30 API SL is the specified oil in Australia for this engine.

0W-30 ACEA A3 is the specified oil in the United Kingdom.

I can find no reports of unusual top-end wear from either local.

I really have no problem with Motorcraft 5W-20 if I knew I was keeping this car only for 10 years or less. If however I decide to keep it long term I just cant see the engine being in as good a shape at 200,000+ mi as it would on a oil like GC 0W30.

Since the 2004 Focus comes with a 5 yr / 100,000 mi powertrain warranty if I run 5W20 until the warranty expires it will be awhile.

I guess you guys have convinced me to stick to MC 5W20 and the 6 month oil changes instead of GC 0W30 and annual changes. Its not like it cost me anything but time... I can do three MC 5W-20 + MC Filter changes for the price of one GC 0W-30 + MC Filter Change.

Gene

Whimsey: I wish they still sold that Exxon Superflo synthetic. The 5w30 had a cst of 9.9 at
100c (a thin 30 wt.) My Honda 4 cyl. which spec'd a 5w20 ran great on it. It seemed to really like it. It was a full PAO synthetic at 2.99 a qt.
I think it was a real sleeper. I'll have to use Mobil 1 5w30 when my stash runs out.

quote:

Originally posted by pbm:
Whimsey: I wish they still sold that Exxon Superflo synthetic. The 5w30 had a cst of 9.9 at
100c (a thin 30 wt.) My Honda 4 cyl. which spec'd a 5w20 ran great on it. It seemed to really like it. It was a full PAO synthetic at 2.99 a qt.
I think it was a real sleeper. I'll have to use Mobil 1 5w30 when my stash runs out.

Wow! I didn't know it a PAO oil. At that time synthetic was synthetic to me. I didn't know about GroupII, III and IV. But I paid $2.75/quart for it. What a bargain for a PAO oil
shocked.gif
! I have one unopened quart of it. Maybe I should donate it to the Museum of bygone bargain oils
lol.gif
. Patman, is your museum open yet
grin.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back