OK, typical newby “what oil should I get” question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker....

2005 Volvo XC70 (2.5l turbo inline 5 cyl). 44,000 miles. Factory recommends 5w-30 (or 10w-30 if over 86F) and a 7,500 mile OCI. Previous owner had the dealer do the oil changes so it was probably 5w-30 dino oil. They were a little tardy on some of the changes, there was one 5,800 mile OCI but the rest were between 8,200 miles and 9,500 miles). I’m planning on doing an Auto-RX treatment before I start putting in the good stuff.

I do a fair number of short trips around town with the occasional longer run, either highway or mountain roads. Around town I drive fairly moderately but am not afraid to use WOT on occasion. When I get out of town I tend to drive more spiritedly. The car will see sub zero (F) starts in the winter and runs of days in the 90’s in the summer.

I would like to stick with the factory OCI of 7,500 miles. It uses cartridge filters so I will stick with Volvo/Mahle elements.

I have a cheap streak in me but it tends to get overruled by not wishing to be penny wise and pound foolish. So I guess I would say that the price is a minor factor. I’m looking at two oil changes (of ~6 quarts each I believe) every 12-15 months so the difference between PP (at the low end) and Redline (at the high end) is going to be $60-$70 per year. I’m not going to worry about that (too much).

My thoughts are:

1) Just get PP 5w-30 and run it year-round. It is good, inexpensive, will get the job done and I’m already buying it for my wife’s V6 RAV4 (OK, feel free to suggest otherwise on this choice--I switched the RAV from M1 recently “thanks” to you guys).

2) GC 0w-30 and run it year-round. Locally available, mid-priced option. I’ve seen one favorable UOA on a similar engine (the previous 2.4l turbo) with similar OCI.

3) Amsoil, either 5w-30 year-round or switch to 10w-30 for the summer stint (and does that mean 5w-20 in the winter???). This would only work IF I can get the OCI to line up right with the season, I would prefer not to go this route--”But Honey I have to road trip to Jackson Hole with the boys so that I put some more miles on this oil before I change it...” Which Amsoil? the XL line?

4) Red Line. OK, probably (definitely) overkill. Also may be more oriented for extreme use not extended OCIs? If so, then 5w-30 year round or some combo?

5) Other suggestions.

As you can tell I’ve been reading way too much in here and know just enough to be dangerous!

Thanks for your opinions.
Lincoln

Is there an ACEA A3 requirement???

If so, Id go GC or amsoil 5w-40 in there. If not, Id consider more or less anything quality synthetic, but Id consider SSO 0w-30 once a year if UOA permits.

JMH

definitely a synthetic for a turbo...7500k sounds good w/ either PP or m1

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Is there an ACEA A3 requirement???

If so, Id go GC or amsoil 5w-40 in there. If not, Id consider more or less anything quality synthetic, but Id consider SSO 0w-30 once a year if UOA permits.

JMH

from the owner's manual:

Oil quality

Engine oil must meet the minimum ILSAC specification GF-2, including ACEA A1, API SJ, SJ/CF and SJ/Energy Conserving.

Your Volvo has been certified to standards using ILSAC oil specification GF-2 5W-30. Volvo recommends use of oil with a quality rating equal to or higher than ILSAC GF-2. Equivalent and better oils include ACEA A1, API SJ, SJ/CF, and SJ/Energy conserving. Lower quality oils may not offer the same fuel economy, engine performance, or engine protection.

Volvo Cars recommends Castrol.

Depending on your driving habits, premium or synthetic oils may provide superior fuel economy and engine protection. Consult your Volvo retailer for recommendations on premium or synthetic oils.

Originally Posted By: KA426
Mobil 1 0W-30, 5W-30, or 10W-30 won't break the bank like Amsoil.

I figure I can get the Amsoil done for about $40 per change including the shipping. M1 is only going to be about $10 per change cheaper, not enough to matter in my book (I'll eat PB&J for two lunches and be money ahead).

I'd run Mobil 1 5w-40 in summer and a 0w-40 or GC in winter. After my freezer tests, I'm really dissapointed in 5w-40 for winter. I'd rather a 5w-30 [censored], sub zero.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I'd run Mobil 1 5w-40 in summer and a 0w-40 or GC in winter. After my freezer tests, I'm really dissapointed in 5w-40 for winter. I'd rather a 5w-30 [censored], sub zero.

Food for thought. Thanks.

I heart the freezer tests. I Laughed Out Loud when I was reading in here about an extensive freezer test and someone commented that the guy's wife must be out of town! MY wife asked what I was laughing at, I declined to "enlighten" her.

Originally Posted By: bobfather99
How about Rotella Syn 5w40??

Hmmm, more BITOG reading to do.

How do you figure? Mobil 1 is $6.17/quart and a Mobil 1 filter is $10. The Amsoil that I've seen is about $10/quart and the filter is about $13 or so. For say, five quarts the difference is more than ten bucks.

I'd use 0W30 if I were you, an engine that spec for CF-2 and SJ is not going to be too hard on a CF-4 / SM oil, so any of your mentioned oil will work good, buy what you think feels the best for your engine (try them out). Personally I'd prefer a locally available oil, having the same oil as your Rav4 helps manage the inventory too.

Originally Posted By: KA426
How do you figure? Mobil 1 is $6.17/quart and a Mobil 1 filter is $10. The Amsoil that I've seen is about $10/quart and the filter is about $13 or so. For say, five quarts the difference is more than ten bucks.

Here's my math (feel free to correct me, I'm used to it):
1/3 of Preferred Customer Membership: $ 3.33
2Q XL 5w-30: $11.30
1GAL XL 5w-30: $21.90
Shipping: $ 9.85
--------------------------------------------------
Total: $46.38
M1 6*6.17: $37.02
Difference: $ 9.36
This is assuming I used the $10/6month membership for 3 OCs (buy oil for one OC at the beginning and two at the end) and was buying the XL line of oil. I guestimated the shipping from their weight-based chart.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I ran Mobil 1 0w40 last winter and the stuff was fantastic even when it was -30 out.

I have a friend with the high hp (mostly via higher boost, I believe) version of my engine who is running M1 0w40 and has been happy. Of course that's a small & subjective sample size of one!

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I'd use 0W30 if I were you, an engine that spec for CF-2 and SJ is not going to be too hard on a CF-4 / SM oil, so any of your mentioned oil will work good, buy what you think feels the best for your engine (try them out). Personally I'd prefer a locally available oil, having the same oil as your Rav4 helps manage the inventory too.

Thanks, I'm getting a pretty good understanding of the weights and other basics but all that spec. stuff is still in the jet stream over my head! I'm going to leave the RAV on PP 5w30 for now, so if I took your advise and went for 0w30 then the GC might be the option since it's locally available (I do agree that's a plus). Is the 0w30 going to do OK in a turbo combined with summer temps sometimes in the 90's (30+ days on avg.)?

Originally Posted By: StinkyD
Is the 0w30 going to do OK in a turbo combined with summer temps sometimes in the 90's (30+ days on avg.)?

It depends how hard you drive it. UOA's will tell you what works or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back