OK to use DuraBlend10W30 down to 0 degrees F?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have DuraBlend 10W30 in my 2001 Tacoma (3.4L V6). Is this oil okay to use when it's 0 degree F?

I thought I would have had more miles on this oil by now, and had planned on needing to drain it and replace it with a lower viscosity oil before the cold weather moved in.

ETA: http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/durablend.pdf

Last edited:
Supposedly 10w30 is good down to 0*F but I'd rather have 5w30 or 0w30 at that temp.

10W-30 was the default grade in this country for a number of years and did okay even in very cold areas.
10W-30 was also the recommended grade for some engines quite recently for all temperatures, maybe even currently.
The OM oil recomendations for our '09 Forester allow for the use of 10W-30 down to -4F.
A thinner oil would be a better choice at really cold temperatures, but I don't think you'll do any harm leaving the 10W-30 in there.
If I had done the same as you and the oil had very few miles on it, I'd probably leave it in.

Mazda actually publishes in their AU/NZ RX8 owner's manual that 10w30,40,50 is good down to -20F. 15w and 20w40,50 are indicated good down to 0F. And these specifications are under the with synthetic not permitted/recommended. My old Altima SER said I could use 10w30 down to 0F, but 5w30 was preferred for all temps until over 100F when 10w40 was specified. Finally, my 2003 EVO VIII spec'd 10w30 down to 0F. So, all that to say that oil to that temp will fine.

You bet! The API approves the use of a 10W down to 0 degrees, and as the everyone else have stated, there's a lot of owners manuals out there that say you can go slightly lower on the ambient temperature with a 10W. Change your oil whenever you had planned
wink.gif

http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/categories/upload/motor_oil_guide_2010_120210.pdf

I have started my BMW at -14 F with 10w 40 in the sump.Castrol 20w50 in my 71 Datsun was too thick to start below 10F. YMMV

My owners manual says 10W-30 is good down to 0 degrees F. Below that it recommends 5W-30. At the same time though, it recommends not using 5W-30 above 60 degrees F.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Shouldn't you expect colder than zero temps in Colorado?

Yes but not that often unless in the mountains.

When I was growing up in South Dakota the standard at the time was 10w40 and it was a lot colder than zero. I remember some mighty sluggish starts though!

My Toyota manual says 10w30 is recommended from exactly 0f on up. will it get much colder than 0F before your next expected oil change? if not I wouldn't worry.

Colorado is a pretty big state, so temps vary depending on location. Overnight low was -8F last night, but I only planned on driving the vehicle during the day when it was 0F or above.

As Nederlander pointed out, the higher elevations (I'm at 6,000ft) in the mountains typically see our coldest temps.

With dura blend you will be fine as it is part synthetic and flows easyer than a full conventional oil 10/30.. I would run that year round in that truck

Edit: to answer your original question, yes 10w30 is ok down to 0F. That said....

Originally Posted By: youngbuck
Colorado is a pretty big state, so temps vary depending on location. Overnight low was -8F last night, but I only planned on driving the vehicle during the day when it was 0F or above.

As Nederlander pointed out, the higher elevations (I'm at 6,000ft) in the mountains typically see our coldest temps.

Overnight temp is your oil's temp in the morning when you start up, so it may be 0 outside but your oil is colder. At your elevation I would change it out; save it for the summer if changing too early is a concern.

Last edited:
It's not ideal, but it's fine. I've used 10W-30 in many winters here and never had a serious problem. I did notice Mobil 1 10W-30 crank over a bit hard ever so slightly when is was like -10F here on winter in the 90's. Most manufacturers were fine with 10W-30 down to 0 for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back