Ok guys, out goes Dexcool, in goes Toyota red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Chevy Express van I use for work, It has 8k miles on it. I am tired of looking at the sludge that has already built up around the neck of the radiator. I can just imagine whats down below. I am going to flush the system very well and put in Toyota red, my favorite coolant. Does anybody have any negative thoughts on this? Ray.H I am waiting.....

i would make sure that there isn't a pressure leak somewhere in the system allowing air to enter the cooling system causing sludge.

check the rad. cap?

also is your engine block all aluminum or does it have some iron in it? i dunno how well it will work in your application, just throwing some ideas out.

You might try some DC G-05. I think Zerex makes a G-05. It will protect just as well as anything else out their cast iron and aluminum. It is also a long life coolant but does not have the Dexcool offensive formula. Seeing how Toyota uses their longlife formula in cast iron block vechiles I am sure it can be used just fine but it might not be ideal.

5.3 V8. I have always had good luck with Toyota Red. If i put it in my van, then all 3 vehicles of mine would have that in it. Makes maint alot easier.

Ian, you can not run straight coolant it would destroy your engine, you must run at least a 50:50 mix of coolant:Distilled H2O. Coolant has poor heat transfer properties, the point of coolant is to lubricate the system and prevent corrosion. Water is the best substance for the thermal transfer of heat. With that being said, use the formula on the back of the coolant for the temperature your using it in. If it is warm year round where your at, you are better off running a 30% coolant to 70% distilled water mix. Use a hydometer to check your mix and change it every couple of years (especially with a lower percentage of coolant)

OOOPs forgot the most obvious purpose of coolant, lowers the freezing point of the water.

offtopic.gif

What is the effect on the Toyota red coolant if we were to add water to the coolant? Does this affect the 'cooling' performance? Does this affect (lower?) the boiling point? Does this adversely affect the rust-prevention properties of the coolant?

Taking into account hot and humid weather conditions in Singapore.

diluting the coolant is fine. i've started to use less anti-freeze in the summer (30/70), with more water and a dab of dish soap.

works great, esp. for hot/humid singapore weather.

You're running entirely too close to the edge corrosion-wise at only 30% concentration. (Wear iron skivvies - somethin's gonna bite you, you know where...)

Your favorite, my nightmare. My Toyota came with the green ethelene glycol and when I had a radiator replaced the dealer only uses Toyota red and put that in. Constant sludge kept appearing. the color is too close to PS and ATF fluid when a leak occurs and I finally dumped the stuff and went back to what was in the system to begin with. All is fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back