Oil wt for summer driven LS1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
Up until the Z06 Corvette, which got the LS6 in 2001, and the LS2 with the next generation 'vette, the LS1 F-bodys were very competitive with the Corvette at the drag strip.

Yes, the main advantage that the C5s (and later the C6es) had over the f bodies was LESS MASS, especially if one compared a FULLY loaded WS6, to a 'stripped' (as one could order it) FRC (fixed roof coupe) C5, or later a C5 Z06.

This weight difference was somewhat negated (at the drag strip) by the Vettes' IRS, and stiff sidewalled, lower-profiled stock tires, vs. the solid/'live' axle, and slightly softer OEM sidewalls, in the f bodies, but not always.
wink.gif

I had an unfair advantage since I ordered my Z28 to be the ABSOLUTE lightest/stiffest f body one could get (hardtop, NO; power windows/seats/mirrors, base stereo/HVAC/interior lighting, no cruise control,not even a rear window defroster!!) with the exception of getting a non-serial numbered, NOT street legal, sold to you for racing purposes ONLY, 'body in white' Camaro unibody and building it up from there!!

What is wrong with the dexos oils GM calls for in this motor? There's a lot of good choices there, unless you are out on the track every weekend.

Probably nothing, but why would you pay a licensing fee to those corporate dirt bags unless you had to? There's plenty of oils out there that meet the spec that don't display the dexos logo on the bottle.
I'm buying that stuff for my new truck so I don't have any argument on warranty. Every time I pay for it, I cross myself and spit.

Edit: The motor is pre-dexos, so it isn't called for.

Last edited:
Nope. The final year for 4th gen f bodies was 2002, unless you found some 'new' leftover '02s in '03 and '04.
wink.gif

I almost bought the Poncho version, despite the higher; weight, cost, and heavier standard, non-deletable equipment, just to get a hardtop with a roof the same color as the body.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
The motor is pre-dexos, so it isn't called for.

Yes, these early LS1s are VERY pre-Dexos!!

A classic car............
hppp_0909_03_z+2002_ws6_trans_am+front_right_side_view.jpg

Didnt the "final edition" 2003 come out the year after?

http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/features/hppp_0909_2002_pontiac_ws6_trans_am/photo_03.html

That color (Sunset Orange Metallic), looks wicked with those same CCW wheels in ALL (no polished/chrome 'lip') competition gray/charcoal/graphite.
20.gif

Nope. The final year for 4th gen f bodies was 2002, unless you found some 'new' leftover '02s in '03 and '04.
wink.gif

I almost bought the Poncho version, despite the higher; weight, cost, and heavier standard, non-deletable equipment, just to get a hardtop with a roof the same color as the body.

In addition to the Red Z with the black hardtop, I did get a silver 2002 hardtop LS1 6-speed with the roof the same color as the body. It was a B4C, Special Service Coupe. Nice car.

wink.gif

In addition to the Red Z with the black hardtop, I did get a silver 2002 hardtop LS1 6-speed with the roof the same color as the body. It was a B4C, Special Service Coupe. Nice car.

But you bought that used, from a state trooper/local police auction, correct??
My dealer would not let me order one of those as a 'civilian' (BELIEVE ME, I TRIED!!).
frown.gif

Are you talking about the Caprice/Crown Vic "Interceptor" packages?

Crown Vic = Kerry Brown Superchargers
Caprice idk but its fasttt.........

I bought the 2002 B4C Camaro Special Service Coupe new from the dealer at the end of the model year. He showed about 11 of them online, but I only saw 4 on the lot. I think the rest were shipped off to become GMMG ZL1s.

With the 2002 Camaro, the only real difference between the B4C and the Z-28 was the B4C got the Lower Control Arms off of the old 1LE autocross package that GM discontinued in 2000. Same engine, programming, brakes, suspension, etc. Color matched top (couldn't get T-tops) and the option packages were a bit different.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
Are you talking about the Caprice/Crown Vic "Interceptor" packages?

No, these were special LS1 (and I beleive the earlier 4th gen LT1s as well) Camaros set up for state trooper 'pursuit' use, and equipped as such.

Some manual equipped LS1 4th gens are capable of 170+ mph top speeds (depending on axle ratio), and are fairly stable at those speeds as well!
thumbsup2.gif
cool.gif

I bought the 2002 B4C Camaro Special Service Coupe new from the dealer at the end of the model year. He showed about 11 of them online, but I only saw 4 on the lot. I think the rest were shipped off to become GMMG ZL1s.

With the 2002 Camaro, the only real difference between the B4C and the Z-28 was the B4C got the Lower Control Arms off of the old 1LE autocross package that GM discontinued in 2000. Same engine, programming, brakes, suspension, etc. Color matched top (couldn't get T-tops) and the option packages were a bit different.

Yes, I know about the differences, but I WISH I would have known about YOUR dealer being able to sell these (albeit almost 3 years after I needed/ordered mine
frown.gif
).
BTW; they did not include the Koni Sport shocks from the old 1LE package as well??
The body colored roof alone would have been enough for me to order/get one!!!

No, they had the same DeCarbon shocks as on the Z. Like I indicated, the only difference other than cosmetics was the LCAs. I did a lot of research, to include comparing build sheets.

I won't tell you how much I paid for the car, or you'd really hate me. If I had the money at the time, I'd have bought two.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I was simply under the impression that a 5W40 would be a good choice, seeing as it's only summer driven (No need for 0wt) and the 40 part I learned from just reading on here and many suggesting the LS1/pushrod designed motors like a thicker oil.

Anyway, here's my bucket, just under 25K miles.

IMG_8185.jpg

Originally Posted By: Striker
Thanks for all the responses guys. I was simply under the impression that a 5W40 would be a good choice, seeing as it's only summer driven (No need for 0wt) and the 40 part I learned from just reading on here and many suggesting the LS1/pushrod designed motors like a thicker oil.

Anyway, here's my bucket, just under 25K miles.

IMG_8185.jpg

Yes, that thing looks better than right off of the showroom floor!!
Those polished wheels are a pain of the highest order to keep clean, and unblemished (or are they factory chrome??).
Do you keep it in a hermetically sealed, filtered, humidity controlled storage space in the winter??!
lol.gif

Anyway, I would STILL go with either Mobil 1, or Red Line, or PC/Esso (IF they make one), or whomevers, 0W-40, even for summer only use, if you insist on a 40 weight oil.
It is still better on startup, and the vast majority of 5W-40s out there are a little too thick for an LS1 (especially a well-kept, ultra-low miles example like yours) in both cSt @100* C, AND HTHS.
wink.gif

Thanks for the compliments.

She is all original with the exception of the SLP lid and a short shifter.

The wheels are polished and clearcoated, and they all become blemished over time, so eventually they are getting re-done.

I may just keep the GC in it as it likes it a lot so far....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back