OIL with Vapor Phase Inhibitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently read on this forum,the posts about the infrequently used "dump truck". Someone suggested he use an agricultural oil with a vapor phase inhibitor.I am 51 yrs. old and have never noticed a VPI label on any of the various brands of HDEO. Can someone steer me in the right direction? (Hopefully, Wal-Mart or one of the AG Supply stores.) THANKS.

Hi,
junebug - It may have been me. These lubricants (from Castrol and others) have been around for a long time
They are usually available from Agricultural supply stores and the like

They work well too and I recommend them for use in older series water/air cooled Porsche engines that are rarely used

In Australia Castrol markets one called Agri TRX 1540

Last edited:
Does anyone know any brands,(e.g. Shell Rotella,Delo400, Mobil 1,Castrol, Citgo, Delvac,other brands),that contain VPI, or is it a trade secret and they all have some? Do charts exist for this additive? Tribologists?

Hi,
D-Roc - Castrol's VPI product(s) uses(ed) a akyl ester (from an amino acid) in their formulation. The lubricant can be used as normal manufacturer (API & ACEA) conforming HDEO "mixed fleet" product. It effectively acts on the exposed metal surfaces above the static oil level after shut down for extended periods

There are various VPI forms and processes - some may differ from my description

I believe that ExxonMobil have a Delvac HDEO 15w-40 VPI product too but I have had no exposure to it

Bruce 381,
Please tell us about oil types and brands that have Vapor Phasa Inhibiters. See my second post above. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted By: junebug
Does anyone know any brands,(e.g. Shell Rotella,Delo400, Mobil 1,Castrol, Citgo, Delvac,other brands),that contain VPI, or is it a trade secret and they all have some? Do charts exist for this additive? Tribologists?

As Doug say castrol has one I do not know of others off hand, they are a "nitche" product.

if a product has a VPI it will say so it is a selling point NONE of the common major brand has any that I know of.

Hydrualic and bearing oils are a More common area where VPI are used.

true inhitors are volitle and will evaporate if you will into the air space and will "condense" with moisture to inhibit rust.
bruce

Castrol have one, an HDMO as previously stated.
Penrite have a number of classic oils with VPIs.

Been through my Mobil, Caltex and Shell books with no reference to VPIS, and I agree with Bruce that if they had it, they'd tell you.

A hundred years ago, "gentlemen" used to keep a block of camphor (natural) in their gun cases to prevent condensation and corrosion. Can't vouch for the synthetic product.

Edit, I forgot to mention Molakule's classic car additive had VPIs in in...but you can't get that anymore
frown.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back