Oil Weight Recommendation for 2010 Crown Vic

Yes, but we uneducated used the word weight. Could have just said, "hey, motor oil comes in grades not weights". But you just had to be mister know it all didn't you. Did you read the part where I said I didn't read all the posts? Did that make you feel good to type that response?
I like “viscosity”, myself-Ford built the 4.6 to use 5W20, but people in hot climates (like the Middle East & Australia) go heavier quite often. Thinner usually equals slightly better mileage, and usually quicker oil pressure, except when the tensioners (or filter ADBV) allow the galleries to drain. Mine amazingly gets 25 MPG highway often if not ran hard-I grew up in the day when V8 full size full frame cars got 10-12, or 14 on a really good day!

It took the 910s. I can't remember if it was a clearance issue (think it was) or a thread, diameter issue. Like I said, parts guy and I were in shock. We figured the "heavy duty" p7b package would have a bigger filter.. It does have an oil cooler though. Not sure if the other models came with one.. Maybe that was why? Who knows. All I know is the 820 wouldn't fit, and the 910 did.
Good news is, the 910S seems much less tear prone than the 820S. That’s what all our Transits use, the 910S ones have held up pretty well.

Throttle to the floor before turning the key to start, it cranks over with no fuel. After 10 seconds or so the crank speed seems to increase a little-then off the gas, off & back on with the key, no noise. Otherwise the chain seems to slap on the inside of the front cover, not a happy sound. Work ever slows down I’m going to replace the tensioners & guides (minimum). I’m around 136K miles now.
I do this on my F150 Ecoboost but the faster crank happens at like 2-3 seconds. I assummed that was when the oil had made it to all the various locations but I supposed maybe it could be a cam phaser thing as well.

the filter business is weird..... the FL910s(Essentially a Shorter Fl400s) is a 3/4-16 thread , and crosses to a fram **3614( Fram**3600), the FL820s, and FL500s have a Metric 22x1.5mm thread (Fram **2/ **10575) (btw, many jobber filters, and "smaller" filter lines have supersceeded their 820s equiv with their 500s equiv....it's the same thread,similar bypass settings, just a taller and narrower can)

but huh... the Fram Lookup shows the Base/LX Trims using the 820s equiv.(**2) and the Police Interceptor Models taking the 910s equivalent (**3614)
same with WIX. some taking the 51372 (820s), some taking the 51348 (910s) with no footnotes denoting different models, etc...

you learn something every day.....

Last edited:
What does the chain slap sound like? Anyone have a video?

I believe the specified grade for the first decade of the 4.6L was 5W30. Ford back-spec'd to 5W20 in 2001.

Same with the first few years of the 5.4 - 5w-30 until 2000, then 2001 was 5w-20.

I use 5w-30 in my 01 5.4. It's a mental thing , I guess, because it came from a 1997 F150. I did buy 5w-30 for the next change in my 4.6 - easier just to buy a bunch of 5w-30 because it can run in three of our vehicles.

It should take an FL 400S filter. Same threads as the 910 so that’s why it fits. The can’t remember what the difference was but some of the 2V modulars took the 400 instead of the 820 could have been Romeo be Windsor or engine oil cooler vs none.

Try a new Motorcraft FL-820S oil filter-but don’t be surprised if it still does it. You have the same poor plastic timing tensioners as my ‘03, they may be leaking down overnight due to bad seals. My ‘03 4.6 2V holds oil for around 12 hours, any longer & it requires a 15-20 second WOT “flood clear” cranking to prevent startup chain rattle noises.
Tried and it worked. Thanks for the tip! Still thing I'm going to switch to 5w-30 based on user comments.

the filter business is weird..... the FL910s(Essentially a Shorter Fl400s) is a 3/4-16 thread , and crosses to a fram **3614( Fram**3600), the FL820s, and FL500s have a Metric 22x1.5mm thread (Fram **2/ **10575) (btw, many jobber filters, and "smaller" filter lines have supersceeded their 820s equiv with their 500s equiv....it's the same thread,similar bypass settings, just a taller and narrower can)

but huh... the Fram Lookup shows the Base/LX Trims using the 820s equiv.(**2) and the Police Interceptor Models taking the 910s equivalent (**3614)
same with WIX. some taking the 51372 (820s), some taking the 51348 (910s) with no footnotes denoting different models, etc...

you learn something every day.....
I remember now, the 820 would not thread on at all. Had parts guy and I scratching our heads for sure. 910 was the winner. I can't believe ford did that, unless it was cheaper to use a base from another oil cooled model.

My crown Vic had no start up issues running rotorcraft FL 820 filters ,,, anti drain back vale is the root cause if you have clatter on start up
Ran mine to 158k miles and sold it is still on the road today

My crown Vic had no start up issues running rotorcraft FL 820 filters ,,, anti drain back vale is the root cause if you have clatter on start up
Year and type? Interceptor with oil cooler, or regular flavor?

I'll swap the filter and see if that helps. Maybe I jumped the gun buying a package of 15 motorcraft filters. I thought they were rated highly??

Oh my, where to begin. I have a total of 5 right now and my dad has 3 more. What I have now found out is there is no pattern to this sound. Some cars do it, some dont, and some are intermittent.

In 2009 they reduced the filter from the FL-820 to the smaller one. That is not a major issue as these engines don't shred much metal anyways. But you will have age related warping to the timing chain tensioners in which they are no longer holding oil pressure all night. If it concerns you grab a oil filter adapter from a 2008 or older cop car and grab the whole cooler and oil lines.

The 4.6L just needs decently clean oil, and kept at the FULL mark at all times. Never allow it to linger at the add mark.

You can use 0w-20, 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-20, 5w-30, 5w-40, 10w-30, 10w-30.

I personally would never run a 10w-40 or higher weight, and will never run the cult followed german castrol 0w30 from back in the day (even if people have a stash left) as you could feel in your waistline the power reduction in the engine from the thick oil. And specifically when you switched back to a standard oil it felt like you added a tuner to it.......

I have a 04 Grand Marquis with 58,000 original miles. Use motorcraft 5w20 every 5,000 miles with a motorcraft fl820 filter and drive that thing for 300,000 miles. I always had a slight knock for maybe 2 seconds at cold start since 23,000 miles when I got it. Most quiet with the motorcraft filters. Enjoy that car.....I love these things!

Back