Oil Weight Recommendation for 2010 Crown Vic

I seek your wisdom, the search function is balls, at least when I try...

2010 Crown Victoria, 95k miles. Last OC was Motorcraft semi synth 5W-20, 3k ago. Motorcraft filter too.

Started it up yesterday for the first time in colder (below 45*f) weather. First time below 45* in this car ever, purchased it in the summer. The car kinda knocked a bit, made a sound lower that a typical knock noise. Subsided after I drove it a quarter - half a mile.

Would you / should I try a fill of 0w-20 to see if it helps? Has anyone had a similar situation occur in their vehicle? Did 0w help at all? I have not spent enough time reading about weights and specs on here, I know that. I know if I spent hours searching and reading, I'd find an answer, but my family will not let me do that today.

Simple: Will 0W-20 in a car spec'd for 5W-20 help with a low knock noise in cooler weather (on startup). Are there any advantages to using 0W-20 in a 2010 ford 4.6? What would you do if it was your vehicle?

TIA Guys!

Given the symptom you described, I'd give 0w20 a try. Considering it was already specced for a 20-weight oil, using a synthetic 0w20 offers essentially no disadvantages over using a dino/blend 5w20. I'd use something readily available, like M1 0w20 or Supertech if you're on a budget. Any of those oils would be better than what Ford had in mind when they designed that 4.6 (or essentially anything available today).

Sounds like a possibly bad oil filter anti-drain back thingy. Or maybe a lifter draining. 10yrs/100K is an awkward age for an old school Ford. :cool:
Yes it really is. Cape Cod PD... They don't use road salt in the Cape at all, zero. There is no rust, flash rust, or anything under the car. Its a 10/10, and I have a winter car for main use to keep it clean. I bought Wool Wax for it, but I blew out my knee and there will be none of that happening this fall.. I'd be lucky if I can change my own oil.

I'll try M1 0W-20 and a new filter and see what happens.

Thanks for not cutting me up and telling me there have been thousands of posts about this already. I've tried searching, the function is terrible, or I'm terrible at using it!

Yes it really is. Cape Cod PD... They don't use road salt in the Cape at all, zero. There is no rust, flash rust, or anything under the car. Its a 10/10, and I have a winter car for main use to keep it clean. I bought Wool Wax for it, but I blew out my knee and there will be none of that happening this fall.. I'd be lucky if I can change my own oil.

I'll try M1 0W-20 and a new filter and see what happens.

Thanks for not cutting me up and telling me there have been thousands of posts about this already. I've tried searching, the function is terrible, or I'm terrible at using it!
New oil filter would be a good move as well... that could be your issue. As far as searching, I prefer using ________ site:bobistheoilguy.com where you insert what you're searching for.

New oil filter would be a good move as well... that could be your issue. As far as searching, I prefer using ________ site:bobistheoilguy.com where you insert what you're searching for.
Thanks for the trick

Try a new Motorcraft FL-820S oil filter-but don’t be surprised if it still does it. You have the same poor plastic timing tensioners as my ‘03, they may be leaking down overnight due to bad seals. My ‘03 4.6 2V holds oil for around 12 hours, any longer & it requires a 15-20 second WOT “flood clear” cranking to prevent startup chain rattle noises.

Yes it really is. Cape Cod PD... They don't use road salt in the Cape at all, zero.

I'd suspect the filter as well as previously recommended. I have never had an issue with MC, but maybe give NAPA a shot, or heck even Supertech.

It's likely that they maintained it well (washed it often) as they definitely use salt on the Cape.

I'd suspect the filter as well as previously recommended. I have never had an issue with MC, but maybe give NAPA a shot, or heck even Supertech.

It's likely that they maintained it well (washed it often) as they definitely use salt on the Cape.
They do? I can't comprehend the condition of the car... Maybe they eliminated the position for the winter and the car sat? The only place I've seen a car from this rust free was from Georgia. Even that had rust spots on the hood. They must have parked it inside a garage for the winter.

Try a new Motorcraft FL-820S oil filter-but don’t be surprised if it still does it. You have the same poor plastic timing tensioners as my ‘03, they may be leaking down overnight due to bad seals. My ‘03 4.6 2V holds oil for around 12 hours, any longer & it requires a 15-20 second WOT “flood clear” cranking to prevent startup chain rattle noises.
FL-820S doesn't fit. I know, I know, doesn't make any sense. Police package, should have the larger filter... Parts guy sent me home with the 820S.. It would not fit on the threads, there was **** in the way. He looked up the P7B and it did in fact take the smaller filter. We were both scratching our heads on that one...

Please explain this "Flood Clear" cranking you describe.. Is that engaging the starter with the pedal to the floor to not let it start, or will it even start when you depress the gas pedal? Too lazy to run out there right now. Just had flurries.

What’s the word weight have to do with engine oil? It comes in grades.
Yes, but we uneducated used the word weight. Could have just said, "hey, motor oil comes in grades not weights". But you just had to be mister know it all didn't you. Did you read the part where I said I didn't read all the posts? Did that make you feel good to type that response?

FL-820S doesn't fit. I know, I know, doesn't make any sense. Police package, should have the larger filter... Parts guy sent me home with the 820S.. It would not fit on the threads, there was **** in the way. He looked up the P7B and it did in fact take the smaller filter. We were both scratching our heads on that one...
Weird, I thought the 4.6s all took the 820S size? What MC filter did it use? FL500S or FL910S?

Please explain this "Flood Clear" cranking you describe.. Is that engaging the starter with the pedal to the floor to not let it start, or will it even start when you depress the gas pedal? Too lazy to run out there right now. Just had flurries.
Throttle to the floor before turning the key to start, it cranks over with no fuel. After 10 seconds or so the crank speed seems to increase a little-then off the gas, off & back on with the key, no noise. Otherwise the chain seems to slap on the inside of the front cover, not a happy sound. Work ever slows down I’m going to replace the tensioners & guides (minimum). I’m around 136K miles now.

Weird, I thought the 4.6s all took the 820S size? What MC filter did it use? FL500S or FL910S?
It took the 910s. I can't remember if it was a clearance issue (think it was) or a thread, diameter issue. Like I said, parts guy and I were in shock. We figured the "heavy duty" p7b package would have a bigger filter.. It does have an oil cooler though. Not sure if the other models came with one.. Maybe that was why? Who knows. All I know is the 820 wouldn't fit, and the 910 did.

Throttle to the floor before turning the key to start, it cranks over with no fuel. After 10 seconds or so the crank speed seems to increase a little-then off the gas, off & back on with the key, no noise. Otherwise the chain seems to slap on the inside of the front cover, not a happy sound. Work ever slows down I’m going to replace the tensioners & guides (minimum). I’m around 136K miles now.
Thats what I thought you meant. I'll give that a try tomorrow morning, see if it helps with the noise. Its so hard to describe the noises our cars make...

5w-30 or even -40. The Crown Vic engines aren't picky, and the plastic guides last longer with heavier weights.

Agree with adbv possibly being issue.

Back