Oil Too Clean To Read On Dipstick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Granted, my eyes aren't what they used to be but, even with cheaters, I can't see the oil on the dipstick

Changed the oil today (M1 afe) and put in the usual 4.5 Qts so I know it's at a proper level. Went to check it later and could barely see it beyond the fill mark (Honda 2-hole dipstick).

I've seen posts in the past about this but can't find any... What tips/tricks can I do to help?

By the way, I asked my wife to check as well and she, too, couldn't get a reading

By the way again, I'm not buying Royal Purple... Too pricey although I'm sure it's fine oil

Thanks for any help

Try at night with one light on about 15 feet away. Look for the sheen where the oil level starts vs the flat/matte surface of the stick with no oil.

i've had this issue with my dad's Kohler Powered Cub mower. has a stupid Yellow plastic dipstick... and brand new QS 10w30 was dang near invisible... I just took comfort in knowing i had put the specified amount in...

Thanks all... The paper and lighting might do it. Was pretty sunny today and I'm sure that didn't help

OneEye... I was trying to find that line - no good. At the base of the stick, no problem but I'm certain the sump is full. Has to be

Maybe another day or 2... it should darken up a bit but it's crazy. Darned near invisible

Shouldn't be rocket science.
Just use a clean dry section of shoptowel/paper.
Wrap it around the dipstick just like you were going to wipe, and wipe slowly and you should be able to see when it hits the liquid.

Our Subaru was similar in the opposite way. It had a dark colored dipstick, and since day one it always turned the oil dark shortly after changing it. The oil level could be extremely difficult to read.

I always used a white paper towel, pulled the dipstick out, went under one of the lights in the garage and laid the business end of the dipstick on the paper towel. It always showed me exactly where the oil level was.

Use an old piece of garment that showed oil when you got the tiniest spill on it, such as a light brown pair of slacks.
Should be able to pull the dipstick and squeeze the fabric around the end, then slowly remove and line up the upper part of the stain with the marks on the dipstick.

When I have a dipstick that's hard to read, I check before the first start of the day. At least then, you eliminate the wonder about where the oil level reading stops and the smearing begins.

I changed my oil the other day and didn't use MoS2 for the first time in about 2 years so I ran into this problem yesterday! I just angle it in the light and you can see where the oil level is up to. MoS2 is great for that though!

Started a thread a while back with this very problem reading the dipstick on our Sierra 1500. I used the paper towel trick and it seems to work ok.

Carefully lay the dipstick down on a flat surface. Carefully lay a single tissue (like Kleenex, etc.) over the end, without wiping. Immediately you will see the oil absorbs into the tissue, and where it stops.

EDIT: This is same principle as Spackards suggestion above. Apologies for missing it.

Check when cold, they'll be probably 5x more oil clinging to stick so the distinction between oil and bare stick will be much greater... May even have a little color to oil as again there is a greater amount on stick(same reason even lightly used oil looks dark in the drain pan but clean on dipstick)...

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
I changed my oil the other day and didn't use MoS2 for the first time in about 2 years so I ran into this problem yesterday! I just angle it in the light and you can see where the oil level is up to. MoS2 is great for that though!

+1

All good stuff

Sierra - yours' must have been the thread I was thinking of

Not as much sun today and about 100 miles on the oil... Still very light in color but was able to read it... All is well

Problem for me is driveway is on a steep incline so first-thing-in-the-morning checks can't be done

I agree... Moly sure darkens up the oil but ever since Trav wrote about his findings and that pick of that slop in the pan, I've been steering clear of it. Can't say I ever noticed a difference anyway

Thanks again for all the great ideas

Last edited:
After 2000 miles since oil change, I can barely see oil level on the dipstick. Of course I have good vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back