Oil temperature

There is a kit out there I believe that has everything included from BMW for the 52s. I think it was more of an issue for the turbos, one of our customers tracks her 328xi and said she never saw above 2 ticks past the halfway, so I think the change would be negligible. Not worth the investment most likely.
Will see. I will track it probably in October (depending how kids daycare goes all things considered) and see temperature. I coded my mpg gauge to show temp. so we will see if I have any issues.

I don't think it's that. European countries always taxed the BeJesus out of gasoline and Diesel. Small displacement turbo-diesel cars have been the norm for a long time, and before that, NA-diesel engines. Heck, they even got small-displacement gasoline-turbo engines right, in the 90's. Europeans conserved fuel through behavior.

That’s exactly what I just said. (-:
The regulatory strategy in Europe overall to ‘encourage’ fuel conservation has long been to make fuel extremely expensive. This has been done via enormously high taxes on fuels. From there, they let producers and consumers work out the details.

Now that there is a more direct focus on carbon emissions (not just in Europe), things are _also_ more focused on engine design and somewhat narrowly-drawn testing schemes. They haven’t backed off the taxation system, just added additional regulation.

There have of course been more factors in play, but the basic strategy is significant.

I wonder if that is one of the displays on the Torque app... Do all vehicles put out that info or have that sensor as per OBD or ECU data? Or does the car not really care. Maybe some models would do something with how hot the oil is.

Or do they only care about coolant temp?

I do realize this particular discussion seems gravitas towards the Ram, 300, FCA.

I do see several cars with a calculated oil temp in OBD that don't even have an oil temp sensor. I don't know if they do anything with it but doubt it as the calculated values are often far off reality. start an engine in winter and restart it after the coolant is warm. The oil temp will start the same as the coolant temp while in reality the sump is just luke warm. So off the mark by more than 100 degrees

Update on oil temps-Pulled a 6,000 lb travel trailer in low 80s heat about 65 miles each way this weekend with the Raptor. At 65 mph the oil was 220 +/- 4 degrees and once got up to 228 briefly after a long hill and lots of turbo.

Update on oil temps-Pulled a 6,000 lb travel trailer in low 80s heat about 65 miles each way this weekend with the Raptor. At 65 mph the oil was 220 +/- 4 degrees and once got up to 228 briefly after a long hill and lots of turbo.

You got a holly-oil-cooler! 😁

A little chilly today, oil temp never exceeded 204F.
83EADFBC-D48C-4396-9261-3DB8304986FF.jpeg

Back