Oil suggestions for 4.7L 2002 Dodge Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well fall is here so I needed to get another winter/hunting rig. I ended up with a 2002 Ram Quad Cab that's clean for it's age. Overall I'm happy with it, except it has the notorious chrysler 4.7L power tech. Truck has a 160K and runs great other than being underpowered. Coming off a 5.3L Suburban it just feels underpowered, but it's fine for my needs. Anyway, given this engines reputation for all sorts of bad can someone point me to a good oil and a reasonable interval? I always thought it was a decent engine until I read up on it.

I had a 2003 short bed with the same engine. I ran Valvoline 5W30 Synthetic in mine with NAPA Gold oil filters. I tried other brands of oil but, I settled on the Valvoline. Believe it or not, it just got a little better fuel mileage using the Valvoline. 5,000 Mile OCI

Last edited:
The Powertech is hard on oil in my experience. I use Mobil 1 5W30 and change it once a year since I only put around 3k on the truck.

The owners manual says to change the oil every 3000 miles, but they spec conventional oil. You would probably be OK with 5000 miles if you used full synthetic.

Also, don't be alarmed if you see some milkiness under the fill cap when you go to change. It's normal for these motors. If there's oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil then you can worry.

Last edited:
I have 155,000 on my Dakota, the engine has been run on 0-W30, 5-W30, and now 0-W40 M1. The only issue I have had is a couple broken exhaust manifold bolts. I usually run in tow/haul mode unless on the highway, moves shift points higher and lets the engine rev to a happier level. Currently running 8,000 oci.

Last edited:
Yeah.... I just replaced the radiator. It was banana bottomed, meaning the bottom was bowed out. The first thing in my mind was boy did I mess up up this one, it's got blown head gaskets. But the truck passed multiple block tests and doesn't overheat or even close. It starts right up, no smoke/steam etc, etc. But it's got that milkiness and that added to the total freak out. Lol. But I'm now convinced it's good.

Originally Posted by Inspecktor
I have 155,000 on my Dakota, the engine has been run on 0-W30, 5-W30, and now 0-W40 M1. The only issue I have had is a couple broken exhaust manifold bolts. I usually run in tow/haul mode unless on the highway, moves shift points higher and lets the engine rev to a happier level. Currently running 8,000 oci.

How's it doing for rust? I have an 03 that's still in good shape - trying to keep it that way.

Mine is clean other than the rear doors. Was able to locate a pair (same paint code) in Arizona for $450 shipped to Minnesota. Other than that the truck is clean. Surprising given the others I looked at were total crap and rotted out. Mostly rockers and wheel wells . I'm 99% sure I scored on this one.

Milky oil fill cap may be a PCV problem. Make sure it's checked/changed. Some owners don't know what it is and never change it.

Last edited:
I have a 4.7 in my Jeep. The only problems I have had is the poor cooling system. After two radiators and two water pumps I think I finally got some good parts. These engines run good but like to rev. Wind it up a little and it should set you back in the seat a little. I have seen some of these 4.7s push 300k miles. I have 190k on mine and it's still going strong.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Milky oil fill cap may be a PCV problem. Make sure it's checked/changed. Some owners don't know what it is and never change it.

Nope. Has to do with the fill cap getting outside air/moisture. You can replace it with the upgraded part or just deal with the milkiness every once in a while.

Good advice with changing out the PCV anyways. QSHM 5W30 has a really nice add pack & paired with a Fram Ultra -- cant go wrong. My Ram in signature & your 4.7L are two different motors BUT -- I got a Super Chips programmer & programmed it for performance mode & man did it WAKEN IT UP. Run a couple bottles of the Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner of Regane High Mileage Fuel System Cleaner also.

Dale

Maybe the Ram is more refined than what your accustomed to. Because the 4.7 is every bit capable to the 5.3 GM of the same era. As for choices 5W30 of your choice and a wix filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251
Maybe the Ram is more refined than what your accustomed to. Because the 4.7 is every bit capable to the 5.3 GM of the same era. As for choices 5W30 of your choice and a wix filter.

Not a question of refinement. I've owned several Ram trucks. But sorry the 4.7 in 2002 (235hp) is roughly 60hp shy of the 2002 5.3L (295hp). I guess it's hard for me to judge because I've been driving my Fusion all summer, but the Ram feels underpowered. It's not a knock on Dodge trucks, I've owned them all my life.

Also the 2003 Z71 Suburban and the 2002 Quad Cab ram are within a couple hundred pounds of each other so the HP difference is significant.

As a dodge guy, who owned a 5.3L powered vehicle for 5 years I came away with a profound respect for the LS based engines. The are powerful and robust. I owned that suburban from 198,000-250,xxx miles and that motor never gave a second of worry.

That said I'd take a 45-545rfe over a 4L60e anytime.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GOPHER FREAK
Also the 2003 Z71 Suburban and the 2002 Quad Cab ram are within a couple hundred pounds of each other so the HP difference is significant.

As a dodge guy, who owned a 5.3L powered vehicle for 5 years I came away with a profound respect for the LS based engines. The are powerful and robust. I owned that suburban from 198,000-250,xxx miles and that motor never gave a second of worry.

You say this and the quarter mile, 40-70MPH, and 0-60 times on a 2002 Ram 4.7 QC 4x4 and a 5.3 burb are within .5 seconds of each other. Look at historical dyno data and GM products somehow lost more HP/TQ to the wheels compaired to other manufacturers.

Not really. The 4.7 only has 235hp. Even GM's I6 at the time had 40 more hp. The 5.3 had what, 295 hp?

I say this as a current owner of a 4.7-powered truck. The good news is that they make great torque and tow really well.

Originally Posted by GOPHER FREAK

You say this and the quarter mile, 40-70MPH, and 0-60 times on a 2002 Ram 4.7 QC 4x4 and a 5.3 burb are within .5 seconds of each other. Look at historical dyno data and GM products somehow lost more HP/TQ to the wheels compaired to other manufacturers.

A half second is HUGE when it comes to 1/4 mile times...

Also, GM cars are notoriously underrated from the factory, not the other way around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back