2014 Ram C/V oil question

I've searched around and can't seem to find a solid answer to this question. I travel the country for work and just picked up a new vehicle to convert into a camper. It's my understanding that the ram c/v is just a grand caravan converted into a cargo van. It has the 3.6 with vvt, and has a touch over 100,000 on the odometer. I'm not very familiar with this engine, much more familiar with Ford's.

The question I have is what weight oil do you all recommend I run? I can be on a job site in Louisiana, then the very next week be on a job in Minnesota, at any time of the year. This will be a camper, so there will be a fair bit of weight being carried (not crazy excessive, but still some weight). The factory recommended is 5w-20, but it's my understanding that the Chrysler Pacifica (same age, same engine) recommends 0w-20.

Not trying to start any arguments, or bring up 5w vs 0w, just trying to find the best suited weight for the application. Thanks in advance

We run Mobil 1 Ep 0w20 in our Wrangler JL, lifted with larger tires, lots of slow speed crawling, mountain climbs, loaded down with camping gear, never burns a drop of oil and runs very quiet on it as well. I also run that same oil in my Hemi Durango that tows our 5k trailer

Most use a 30 grade. But if it doesn't burn at all a 20 is fine. As for the 0 vs 5w it depends on how inhospitably cold it gets. For most it doesn't get that cold and the slightly better shear stability of 5w-20 is better. Ohio gets down to what 0f or so, 10w-40 would still pump just fine even at those temps. But less vii means less viscosity loss from fuel dilution, though the 3.6 isn't known for dilution issues.

Running 0w20 in our 2018 Grand Caravan, which is just the passenger version of your van. Just passed 95k miles. Doesn’t burn a drop and no other problems on it. They have an oil cooler as well to help keep oil temps in check.

Thanks for all the replies, it definitely gives me a few different options to consider. I was primarily considering the 5w-20 and 0w-20 options, but am now considering 5w-30 as well. I'm trying to find a single weight that I can run full time that will work well in all environments, while being best suited to the engine(variable valve timing, timing chain wear,oil pump...). As stated earlier I'm not too familiar with this engine. It's encouraging to see people using 0w-20 without problems.

Thanks for all the replies, it definitely gives me a few different options to consider. I was primarily considering the 5w-20 and 0w-20 options, but am now considering 5w-30 as well. I'm trying to find a single weight that I can run full time that will work well in all environments, while being best suited to the engine(variable valve timing, timing chain wear,oil pump...). As stated earlier I'm not too familiar with this engine. It's encouraging to see people using 0w-20 without problems.
Mobil1 5W30 meets Chrysler MS-6395, Mobil1 also sells a 0w30 option as well if extreme cold weather is a concern.

We've used 0w20 (per the cap) in our 2017 Pacifica with no lubrication related issues. We had a Town and Country before that and I used 5w20 in it.

I wouldn't have any concern about putting a 0w/5w-30 in it.

If you want one oil all year, a solid 0w30 is probably going to be your best bet.

If you have the flexibility to sort out oil weight by season, I'd probably make sure a 0w20/30 is in it for the winter and a 5w20/30 is in it for the summer.

With respect to the engine, like any of them, they have their own quirks.

Our 2012 3.6 was pretty good. It had a dual pressure oil pump and the oil pump solenoid died and it was stuck on the high pressure. I put off getting it fixed, since it always had good oil pressure. One of those $40 parts that takes a decent chunk of labor.

My inlaws have had 2011 and 2020 versions of the 3.6, I never heard of any engine issues with them and they are a drive it around until the OLM comes on and then some with bulk oil from their favorite shop.

Our 2017 has had a couple issues. The oil filter housing started to leak at about 80k. It needed a head gasket, don't remember which bank, shortly after the filter housing.

They've been using this engine in a lot of vehicles since 2011.
Dodge Caravan, Avenger, Ram, Challenger, Charger, Durango
Chrysler Town & Country, 200, 300, Pacifica
Jeep Wrangler, Grand Cherokee
VW Routan

Even with the couple of things we've had in our fleet, I still consider them a solid, strong engine.

Back