Oil shortage/issues?

I haven't worked at a service station in ages, but I did recently have slim pickins at the Walmart in Epping. Even Supertech was pretty sparse, I ended up with a jug of oil that want on my list because an oil change was due.
But this is not Pyazhelka Vologda Oblast, so no need to hoard crazy or things will get worse. Likely just a long supply chain hysteresis from when people were driving less. With only two oil changes a year on my Ford, I am not going to loose sleep over this.

My local Wal-Mart stores have really been picked over mostly just the top dollar stuff left and supertech

I took some old oil to AutoZone on Sunday and they had several pallets of Mobil stuff in the back that looked like it had just been delivered,

Just went to my AAP for my usual Mobil1 0W-20 EP/M110A Bundle, they're suppy of Jugs was low, but I got my usual 5 individual quarts and filter. Stock WAS definitely lower than usual. Not due for a couple of months, but I'm ok for now. Prices are up a bit, I paid $39.95, used to be $37.95. Gas locally is averaging $3.45, that's up about .15 since last week. Going to be a long winter.

Costco has an entire aisle full of Kirkland and Mobil 1 oil. Sam’s Club is full of oil of several brands including their store brand Prime Series.

Well, looks like mobil1 AFE and EP just got bumped to $27 and $30 @WM online. I think this change will be permanent (unless its on sale). It was coming, they have not raised prices on mobil1 for maybe 10yrs.

Store shelves which are normally filled with oil have lots of empty space these days.
Prices of what is on the shelves are higher as well.
I won’t fret because I always have enough for an oil change or two.
I‘m not about to start hoarding oil, or anything else.
Besides, the news showed that gasoline was close to $6 per gallon in NYC yesterday.
At those prices, I’m not driving anything anywhere.

Store shelves which are normally filled with oil have lots of empty space these days.
Prices of what is on the shelves are higher as well.
I won’t fret because I always have enough for an oil change or two.
I‘m not about to start hoarding oil, or anything else.
Besides, the news showed that gasoline was close to $6 per gallon in NYC yesterday.
At those prices, I’m not driving anything anywhere.
I think that was a full service station right in Manhattan. I'm not far from NY and paying under 4 for premium still.

Well, looks like mobil1 AFE and EP just got bumped to $27 and $30 @WM online. I think this change will be permanent (unless its on sale). It was coming, they have not raised prices on mobil1 for maybe 10yrs.
I just bought 3 Jugs of Mobil 1 5W-20 HM for my Grandson on his Birthday last August. $24 and some change per Jug with a $10 rebate per jug!

Was talking to our oil company guy today that delivers our motor oil. Cutting is way back on the gallon amount of motor oil we receive. He mentioned SHELL was having issues; something about getting additive packages. 🤔🤔

Can anyone confirm this?
Thank You
I’m going oil shopping at Walmart later I’ll let you know if the shelves are bare. If anything I heard there’s truckers refusing to drive. If that’s the case oil shortage no… store inventory then possibly.

So when crude futures were at -$37 last year, was that part of the time of easy money for investors of which you speak?
I work for 3-4 families everyday day, 5 days per week and most of them I can talk to about things. The wealthy families are very against solar, wind and other energy options because they want their children to rep the benefits of investing in oil. The middle and below would like to keep that money that is going to wealthy investors when there is another energy option. Now we need to keep the govment from taking that savings.

That might be even more difficult..

...several years ago the folx on CNBC financial were very upset that the middle class wages were increasing faster than the cost of living. That says it all...

Last edited:
Back