Oil shortage/issues?

Was talking to our oil company guy today that delivers our motor oil. Cutting is way back on the gallon amount of motor oil we receive. He mentioned SHELL was having issues; something about getting additive packages. šŸ¤”šŸ¤”

Can anyone confirm this?
Thank You

I hadn't seen any press about this impacting retail (or bulk retail for shops) yet, but there has been some press about supply issues, including additives

Downstream, blenders were feeling the base oils and additives supply squeeze and many have had to cut down operating rates at manufacturing plants, or idle production temporarily until they were able to receive fresh shipments of raw materials.... According to reports, additive suppliers were also seeking increases. A major supplier was heard to be increasing additive prices by up to 8%, effective June 24.

Not only are additives in short supply, Garguiolo says, ā€œEven when you are fortunate enough to source additives, there are typically lengthy delays in receiving product due to the truck driver shortage.ā€ In addition, Garguiolo notes, ā€œThe industry is experiencing major delays and nearly a doubling of cost to bring raw materials in from other countries by container vessels.ā€

"Adding to the private label challenge, where at least one major JobbersWorld is aware of requires its distributors to source the distributorā€™s private label from that major, with supply as tight as it currently is, these distributors are unable to get private label brands from the major until after the major meets demand commitments for their branded lubricants."

Last edited:
Schaeffer's pulled their 9000 series 5W-30 from their site due to supply concerns. They weren't able to give any sort of guess as to when it would be back in stock.

Iā€™ve noticed Walmart and all the parts stores are low on stock and Rural King has been out of pretty much everything too. The place I got hired at appeared to have plenty in the bulk tanks but Iā€™m not sure how long ago it was filled or anything.

Was talking to our oil company guy today that delivers our motor oil. Cutting is way back on the gallon amount of motor oil we receive. He mentioned SHELL was having issues; something about getting additive packages. šŸ¤”šŸ¤”

Can anyone confirm this?
Thank You

Of course, there has to be a reason for them raise prices.

Can anyone confirm this?
Thank You
Was in the local Walmart this morning and they appeared to be out of stock on some oils, especially HDEO varieties. The only Rotella I saw was a couple 1 gal. jugs of the T1 straight 30 weight and a couple 1 gal. jugs of T6 5w 40. On a better note, the local NTB tire store right next door to Walmart had a semi truck off loading a bunch of new tires.

Iā€™ve noticed Walmart and all the parts stores are low on stock and Rural King has been out of pretty much everything too. The place I got hired at appeared to have plenty in the bulk tanks but Iā€™m not sure how long ago it was filled or anything.
My Rural King is well stocked surprisingly. Even have drums of rotella 15w40 and Harvest King 15w40

Often, retailers are only allotted so much product and if they sell out, they can't necessarily receive as much as they want.
New trucks, ammo, chlorine, boats, cheap department store bikes..... .

Where you working at Blake? Glad youā€™re doing well šŸ„°šŸŗšŸ‘šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø
A large dealership that has about every franchise possible. Parents bought me a new toolbox too. šŸ˜. When we went to get it they had orange and yellow only so orange it was.
96AEA802-A804-4F21-A025-7A67AF65D916.jpeg

Often, retailers are only allotted so much product and if they sell out, they can't necessarily receive as much as they want.
New trucks, ammo, chlorine, boats, cheap department store bikes..... .

I'd bet very good money you are right.

Now... When I was ordering stock for my aisle in Winn Dixie in 1996 I accidentally ordered 54 cases of Spam... And it was sent to the store... I got made fun of for that by my co-workers and store co manager.

A large dealership that has about every franchise possible. Parents bought me a new toolbox too. šŸ˜. When we went to get it they had orange and yellow only so orange it was.View attachment 61462
Nice! Orange is really hard to miss.

I assume it's the only one that color in the shop.

Stencil on one side and the other:

- Trick or treat?
- Happy Halloween!
- And perhaps a black outlined pumpkin... or a Dodge performance V8

:)

Last edited:
Nice! Orange is really hard to miss.

I assume it's the only one that color in the shop.

Stencil on one side and the other:

- Trick or treat?
- Happy Halloween!
- And perhaps a black outlined pumpkin... or a Dodge performance V8

:)
You could put ā€œthis things got a hemi!ā€ šŸ¤£

just my $0.02

Back