Oil shortage/issues?

Acts of kindness will not be forgotten. :)

Great and I mean great post SteveG4...

Tell you all a story...

I was batboy for the local baseball single A team Peninsula Pilots. First night I was in their dugout... A bad and I mean BAD environment. Next night I went to the visitors dugout. Winston Salem Spirits. Cubs single A farm team. Much better atmosphere there for sure.

One guy a catcher for them was actually nice and friendly to me. He was called Wally... A nickname for him. He really was a really good guy. He did fuss at me for pouring dirt through my hands on that hot Sunday afternoon game... To his great credit he apologized shortly later. I was rooting for him that whole time. Wally was a very good player no doubt.

I looked up the 1991 Winston Salem Spirits baseball roster last year.... Curious if Wally made it to the Major leagues... And sure enough... Wally did. And he played catcher in the big leagues for 11 seasons.... He had some good years too. Playing for the Cubs and a couple of other MLB teams. That's a darn good career in any professional sport. His name was Matt Walback...

I never forgot Wally and how he was so nice to me as a 15 and half year old kid.

And sometimes... Good guys actually do all right. Not too shabby.

Last edited:
I'd bet very good money you are right.

Now... When I was ordering stock for my aisle in Winn Dixie in 1996 I accidentally ordered 54 cases of Spam... And it was sent to the store... I got made fun of for that by my co-workers and store co manager.

Funny story. I am a retired submariner. On one of my boats, we had a brand spanking new shiny supply officer. I had socks older than him. He came in all gung ho. Before a deployment, he ordered some wheel books (small note pads that fit in your shirt pocket) and some US Govt ball point click pens. The whole qty thing tripped him up. (EA, CS, etc.) He wound up ordering pallets of each.......so, here comes the delivery down the pier. Everyone was hysterically laughing. At a meeting the next day, the skipper wrote something in a brand new wheel book, scratched it out and threw it, and the pen, in the trash and said "CHOP, get me a new one." The whole meeting erupted in hysterics. Poor guy! LOL. Saw him 10 years later and that story STILL followed him.

Was talking to our oil company guy today that delivers our motor oil. Cutting is way back on the gallon amount of motor oil we receive. He mentioned SHELL was having issues; something about getting additive packages. 🤔🤔

Can anyone confirm this?
Thank You
I work for a shell distributor last Friday shell cancelled our truckload of drums and package product

Most of the QS shelf space is empty at Walmart. All other brands are fully stocked. M1 EP is almost $30 a jug.

Yes there are shortages of diesel motor oill and hyd oils. Shell can't deliver to there national acct the amounts they need or there distributors.. Mobil can't get distributors oil for there customers. I'm sure chevron is in the same boat as are other smaller oil companies. def is another along with windshield wash grease and pretty much any otHer petro products

Was talking to our oil company guy today that delivers our motor oil. Cutting is way back on the gallon amount of motor oil we receive. He mentioned SHELL was having issues; something about getting additive packages. 🤔🤔
And some here don't understand why some of us stockpile oil/filters. I suspect the issue will be resolved by the time I use up 200-300 qts.

I mentioned in the M1 EP shortage thread that my local Walmart was out of all jugs of M1 0W20 varieties over the past month. I checked back in yesterday and they had a few jugs of M1 AFE 0W20 that must have arrived recently. All variations of Mobil 1 in jugs are in short supply at that store if they have any of a specific weight at all. Same case with Royal Purple, Castrol EP, and Valvoline EP.

That being said I also stopped by my local Meijer and they are fully stocked with all Mobil 1 and Valvoline products which are all being sold at a discount with other promotions available as well. I have not had any issues finding any products at Meijer over the past 2 to 3 years, they always keep a nice inventory unless the product is going off market like Valvoline Modern Engine over the past year.

And some here don't understand why some of us stockpile oil/filters. I suspect the issue will be resolved by the time I use up 200-300 qts.
I thought I had a weakness for staying ahead on oil and filters. I just dont ever want to have to go shopping to do a simple oil change. I have about 9 of the 5 quart jugs in 3 varieties. Bmw summer... truck year round.. bmw cold season.. and 10 w 30 for random generators. Plus straight 30 for my air cooled tractors. I have cases of individual cans. Maybe 30 or 40 quarts .. ?

Typically don't overstock oil but I just bought 4 - 5qt jugs of Valvoline EP to go along with the 2 already on hand.

Wix/NAPA oil filters are hard to find in my area for the Subaru and the Honda as well. NAPA even says out of stock online for the filters I require.

Crazy new world we live in.

Sadly my favorite place to buy mobil 1 filters in bulk ( filters and wipers) went out of business several years ago. I think i bought 30 oil filters for my fords and daughters cobalt just as they were going away. They had great prices and service.

Back