Oil Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am seeking oil recommendations from all of you folks more knowledgeable than I. I am driving a 2011 Jeep JK sport. My owners manual recommends 5w-20 SAE, API, MS6395. I live in Michigan and only drive the vehicle on weekends for pleasure mostly. I don't often take long trips they are usually short and I don't have any mechanical issues with the vehicle. The vehicle has about 65 thousand miles. I prefer a synthetic oil and to change the oil every 4-6 thousand miles.

What do you recommend??

Buzzy

Is the Pentastar engine in your JEEP ?

My buddy has a JK that has the Pentastar and it has used a .5-1qt within 4500mi OCI's since new, with AMSOIL SS 0-30 ,M1 (against my will), PP and JEEP factory fill. We switched him over to T6 0-40 and the consumption has been GONE for 24k mi now.

If you wheel it I would go for a HDEO, if not it seems that GC would work well.

I find myself in the thin crowd. With no current issues, I don't think I would go with a thicker oil.

I would personally do one of two things:

1) Do exactly as you have been doing the last 65k, it seems to be working

2) Use a Walmart available MS6395 0W20, like M1 AFE or Pennzoil Platinum (I'm sure there are more)

Originally Posted By: wsar10
Is the Pentastar engine in your JEEP ?

My buddy has a JK that has the Pentastar and it has used a .5-1qt within 4500mi OCI's since new, with AMSOIL SS 0-30 ,M1 (against my will), PP and JEEP factory fill. We switched him over to T6 0-40 and the consumption has been GONE for 24k mi now.

If you wheel it I would go for a HDEO, if not it seems that GC would work well.

2011 would be a 3.8 and I would use PYB 5w30.

In my '14 3.6 Pentastar I use PYB 5w20 every 8k with no issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bsrdsteve
I am seeking oil recommendations from all of you folks more knowledgeable than I. I am driving a 2011 Jeep JK sport. My owners manual recommends 5w-20 SAE, API, MS6395. I live in Michigan and only drive the vehicle on weekends for pleasure mostly. I don't often take long trips they are usually short and I don't have any mechanical issues with the vehicle. The vehicle has about 65 thousand miles. I prefer a synthetic oil and to change the oil every 4-6 thousand miles.

What do you recommend??

Buzzy

Do what the manual says.

I don't know why people are saying use a 30 without even knowing if vehicle has consumption issue.
I would also stick with manual rec. of 5w20 (PR 0w20 since short trips). Personally I would go with QSUD, PP, M1 0W or 5w20. M1 isn't MS6395 but doesn't matter IMO.
You could probably be fine using a good Dino but with short trips and MI weather I'd use a syn as well. If you have consumption issues going up a grade might be useful however.

another interesting consideration is "off road use", even trail riding is enough for me to bump up in viscosity.

I couldn't imagine having a jeep and only use it on road......

You should buy 6 quarts of whatever synthetic 5w-20 is on sale. You didn't mention annual mileage and any consumption issues. I doubt you will notice any difference between Mobil, Pennzoil etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back