Oil Recommendation Texas Summer Heat !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: tig1
... I would not use any 20-50 as wear on start may increase. ...

In the Summer?

I think so. Even in the summer some 20-50 oils may be may slower to pump through the engine on cold start than thinner oils. That's my thoughts on the subject. Anyone else have info on this?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I doubt there is anything you can do to hurt 15w40, that is a tough oil. I dont think Texas heat is going to have much effect on 10w30 in a gas engine. I would just keep running the 10w30. I am in Florida and it gets just as hot and I am running 5w20 in my wifes car, I am sure there are people running 5w20 in your state, although I am not on the thinner/better bandwagon.

We live about 20 miles from the Florida line and have long hot summers.

In the last 4 vehicles (Hyundai) I have owned have used nothing but synthetic 5W20.

What weight oil is recommended for your vehicle?

My Ancedote:
Doing valve adjustments on race engines in the summer, I get instant oil out the pushrod tubes during a cold crank with no start. But, these engines typ sport race filters and/or strainers - no high efficency filter in sight.

The core temperature of the engine should be about the same summer and winter if the cooling system is working properly.

It is possible to actually reduce the core temperature, even thought the ambient temperature is higher, by using a thinner oil as a high quality 0W-20 especially if you are using higher revolutions than average.

The long answer is contained here:

These may help you understand viscosity, the first one is more complete:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item#faq_haas_articles

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=259902#Post259902

aehaas

Just because it's hot outside does not mean that your engine is running much if any hotter than normal.

That Kia engine will blow a headgasket around 240F so That is more of a concern than worrying about the oil viscosity. Any oil can take "normal" coolant operating temps which is around 220F.

If it gets much over the normal temps the headgasket will blow before the oil loses it's lube ability.

Put in whatever is recomended in the owners manual.

Sure, you can use a thicker oil, but why?
You will feel the drag on the engine, and power and gas economy will go down.
If your heart is set on it, don't go higher than a x-40.

Thanks guys for all the recommendations and advice. I'll stick with the 10W-30 Motorcraft for now and change it out to Mobil Clean 7500 or some synthetic later in the summer. The car has 87700 miles and is running perfectly at 180 degrees all day long with original belts including the timing belt. I am planning on replacing all belts, timing belt, water pump, and performing a cooling system flush in the next few weeks. I'll complete the car with a good hand wash and interior detail for good times lol. Thanks everyone !

Hyundai/Kia now recommend 5w20 in those 2.0 motors and the design has not changed.

I had a 2006 Spectra5 with the same engine and I used 5w20 with it, seemed fine. I live in Austin.

The rest of you southern state users don't count. Texas heat is BIG heat. None of that wimpy stuff. I'm of the belief that 5w-20 is stout enough for even the BIG heat of Texas. It's child's play for the other southern/western places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back