Oil recommendation for Lotus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Looking for oil recommendation for my 2007 Supercharged Lotus Exige. It has the Lotus tuned version of the Toyota 1.8L 4-cyl engine. Because of it's use of roller and flat tappets with it's high rpm dual cam lobe system I would like to keep the ZDDP levels high. The recommend oil is 5w40 full synthetic Havoline but most Lotus owners seem to be using Mobil 5w40 turbo diesel or 0w40 and/or Castrol Syntec 5w40. I'm leaning toward Redline 5w40, what to you think?

Thanks

Jeff

The Red Line 5W-40 is a very good oil, but a little pricy. But then you are putting it in a very nice car aren't you. The Mobil 1 0W-40 is also an excellent oil.

By the way,
welcome2.gif
to BITOG.

Last edited:
Major +1 for Redline Motor oil ! ! ! !

Motul oil looks intresting as well.

However, redline still looks more impressive and is easy to get.

Are there any concerns with the extra cleaning additives in the M1 5w40 diesel when used in a gasoline engine?

Jeff

Originally Posted By: buickmaster
i'd go with the m1 5w40, great oil, with great uoa's.

nice car btw.

Originally Posted By: jboege
Are there any concerns with the extra cleaning additives in the M1 5w40 diesel when used in a gasoline engine?

Jeff

Originally Posted By: buickmaster
i'd go with the m1 5w40, great oil, with great uoa's.

nice car btw.

some say yea most say no.

I dont think it would be a problem

You should have zero issues with running the diesel oil in your Lotus. I've helped with a few engines in regular and aftermarket-turbo Elises, and the 40-wt is the only way to go. You can't go wrong with M1 TDT or RedLine 5w-40, just keep checking the level, it happens to the best of us. We were doing a shoot with the owner of EliseTalk and the guys from Grassroots Motorsports at Streets of Willow about two years ago, and after about 2 x 20 min sessions I had the urge to check the oil....well the owner said "oh I never bother to check, and besides I have the Moroso 6-qt pan". Well it took 2 quarts from my trunk AND a trip to AutoZone for two more quarts for anything to appear on the bottom of the dipstick. That engine later did destroy itself IIRC. Another autocross friend went through two Toyota crate engines (only $3K at nearly any Toyota dealer, the BEST value in "supercar" engines these days for the Elise/Exige)for failed valve spring retainers.

Hi,
jboege - Either of M1 0W-40 or M1 TDT 5W-40 will do well in your engine. I would prefer to use M1 0W-40 if it was mine - it is a very advanced "leading edge" lubricant with an excellent track record (literally and actually)!

Redline 5-30, the 5-40 is like pancake syrup, I've used it in my blown Z06 making over 700hp and the 5-30 protects well for 4k miles on/off track and drag strip, making close to 1000 when on the bottle.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Doesn't Pennzoil make a 5w40 oil designed for gassers? Pennzoil Euro or something like that.

Yes they do, if you can find it.

Anything 5w-40. TDT or Rotella come to mind. I actully have some Havoline Synth 5w-40 if you are interested.

Doug, I'm thinking of going with M1 TDT 5W-40. Lotus doesn't like the 0W40 and I'm in Warranty. Can I still find the older M1 TDT 5W-40 on shelves with the pre SM labeling?

Jeff

I know that they have had dealers that have used non 5w40 replace the oil with 5w40. I'm also fine using it during my warranty period.

Jeff

I'm going to look around my area, thanks! Is there any obvious way I can tell them apart or just by looking at the "circle" code thing?

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
TDT SL is plentiful here at Wal-Mart in Houston, TX...try some neighboring stores if your "local" store doesn't have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back