Oil Recommendation for Kawasaki 21HP

I have a 2008 Ferris 1500Z with a Kawasaki 21HP engine. I usually operate in temps ranging from the 50s to 90s so according to the manual, a 10w-30 would probably work well. I currently am running Valvoline Premium Blue 15w-40 but I also have some Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40 full synthetic that I run in my TDIs that I thought about using. Should I just use a good dino gasoline rated oil or would synthetic be better for this case? I don't put too many hours per year on my mower so I'll probably only change the oil once a year.

I was actually considering M1 10w-30. I think that would work very well in that engine. What advantage would be HM be over the regular Mobil 1?

I'm probably going to end up going with the Mobil 1 HM. Another question...how does the Mobil 1 HM compare to the EP?

Amsoil ASE 10W-30
Amsoil AME 15W-40
Amsoil ACD 10W-30
Mobil-1 15W-50 GoldCap
Mobil-1 15W-50 SilverCap
Motul 15W-50
Redline 10W-30
Redline 15W-40

All the above are very stout and have 1200+ Zinc levels.

My .02

The machine is very new ... and while I am a proponent of using 15W-40s in OPE during the summer months, I usually don't run that stuff in them when they are brand new. I'd prefer they loosen up a touch ... maybe 20-30 hours on them and at least a few oil changes to flush the break-in bits out.

I would try your 10W-30 of choice watching for oil consumption. if you notice any, I'd switch back to 15W-40. If not, you're all set.

If you can find a 10W-30 HDEO that doesn't burn off, that'd be about perfect. Maybe Pennzoil Long Life or Shell Rotella?

Bradd Penn makes the 30wt oil for B&S. Lots of ZDDP...about 1400 ppm of zinc..conventional oil...good break-in oil.

20 hrs is a good break-in.

Amsoil formula 4 stroke 10w30/SAE 30wt and wix 51394 or Napa gold 1394.

No other oil or filter is worthy.....lol

Personally that is how I operate my business and I have a 23hp Kawasaki FC680 engine on my mower. Your should be similar with a smaller carb.

If you run a business, get ahold of Pablo and sign up for a commercial Amsoil account and you will get great pricing on all products amsoil carries.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I went ahead and bought a couple of quarts of Mobil 1 10w-30 HM and have a couple of Wix 51394 oil filters coming from Fleetfilter.com I think this will be a good setup. I have tried looking for a 10w-30 HDEO but it is nearly impossible to find that weight of HDEO in Tennessee. I have around 30 hours on the machine now so it should be slightly broken in by now.

Good choice. I like to buy my oil where I can find it everywhere so M1's always for me. I've never even seen an amsoil bottle anywhere.

I would have went for the Amsoil ASE 4 stroke 10w30/SAE 30wt but I only need two quarts and it would probably cost too much by the time I pay for shipping.

Boy, them Kawasaki engines are great. I have two john deeres, one is two years old with the twin kawasaki and the old one which is 25 years old with the one lunger kawasaki. Used havoline 30 in the old one for years then finally switched to Penzoil 15-40 HDEO. Running YB 10-30 in new one for now. Incidently, the old mower deck rusted completely away, the seat took a dump, the wheels whobble, but the engines keeps right on ticken.

We have a Kawasaki 23HP V-twin air cooled engine on a commercial /mower used from temperatures 40 to 95 degrees f. Have used both 15W-40 HD Diesel oil (mobil Delvac 1300 Super or Chevron Delo 400)and 10W-30 Mobil 1 Gold Cap. We do not see any oil consumption with 50 hour oil/filer changes on the 10W-30 or the 15W-40. Would like to have a heat temp gun to see if the viscosity make a difference in operating temperatures. The 5W-40 Diesel oils might be the best year-round for cold starting and hot weather operation.

Slick

I have a 1990 John Deere with a Kawasaki and a 2008 John Deere with a Briggs and Stratton. Since both are air cooled and can see oil temperatures of over 240F, Amsoil or Mobil 1 10W-40 full synthetic motorcycle oil gives great protection. 1340 to 1600 ZDDP, anti foam, extra anti oxident, anti rust, you should check them out on their web sites.

I have the exact same mower except I bought mine w/50 hours as a demo unit. The shop owner suggested a straight 30 weight and did a service just before I picked it up, I have a stash of Green Caastrol and I think this would be perfect for it. Enjoy your 1500, I have since added the mulch kit, trailer hitch, stripe kit and even the headlights, love my Ferris.
PS-I picked up a 12 pack of Sterns oil filters so I dont have to make a trip to the dealer every time I change my oil, since you say you change yours once a year, you wont need a 12 pack but ya can still order them online or even eBay too. YMMV
34.gif

Last edited:
I am presently working on an issue of crankshaft roller bearings in a small 10 HP engine that fail after a certain while. Basically, the client is trying to take a homeowner application and make it into a commercial application by upping the run time requirements.

The upshot of the failure is that the 10W-30 lube used for the engine can't handle the high temperatures (~150°C) and what we are seeing is a lube failure. Fo some unknown reason, the client refuses to specify a heavier weight for this application.

Be careful with the lighter weight oils in an engine that has no cooling.

Back