Oil Recommendation for Ecoboosted truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, Im a short time lurker but have been an avid reader of UOA made by posters here and there is a lot of useful info in this website. Which is extremely helpful. Im loving it!
I am definitely a car guy and like to treat my vehicle with the best, but sometimes the best gets really expensive lol.
So I just recently bought a 2016 F150 2wd and it has the 2.7 Ecoboost V6. I just broke the 1000 mile mark and I was about to dump the FF, but I wanted to know first, is what would you guys recommend based on all the analysis being made and the facts you guys may know of already. I was trying to find another 2.7 results but I see that Castrol GTX Magnatec is a good choice on some posts for the 3.5 Ecoboost so I would like to know what everyone thought.
My driving habits are calm and driving routine is very short. I commute 1 mile to my daughters school. From there 1 mile to work. When I go to lunch I usually stay within a 4 mile radius to and back to work, then 1 mile back home. Rinse repeat all week. Then weekends I do more driving.
I would say I do like to get fuel economy on this truck, but I am guilty of quiet abit wide open throttle runs
smile.gif
I do haul my kids around so for the most part, Im driving conservatively.
Now keep in mind, that my truck has the Auto/Start/Stop feature, so it shuts off quiet often at stops on its own, then when I let off the brake pedal it restarts and off I go.
So I laterally drive about 6000 miles per year on average.
So my question to you oil gods
smile.gif

What would you guys recommend I get? I would have no issues changing the oil every 3k miles if I need to considering I read on here about the fuel dilution issue and such. But is it in my best interested to get rid of my FF now at 1000 miles and using the Motorcraft 5w30 synthetic blend or should I switch to something else? I used to run Amsoil on my ecoboost Mustang, but never had it that long to see any benefits if any with Amsoil.
I do live in Las Vegas, so the Heat here usually pretty hot. Im talking about summer heat is over 110 on a regular basis, but dry heat, but its super common to be that hot very often. Winter months here are not that cold. I bet the lowest temp would have to be around 35 degrees or so and generally don't last long.
I do use top tier gas at all times, 89 or 91 octane (but mostly 91) about 90% of the time.
My manual says recommended oil is 5w30 Motorcraft synthetic blend (XO-5w30-QSP), then in specs its says WSS-M2C946-A
Anyone have a good idea on what I should use? I do plan on keeping this vehicle its lifetime

I've read that Castrol Magnatec has shown great results in the Ecoboost engines.
It's currently 19.98 at WM and also on Amazon.

PS: I just noticed you mentioned Magnatec so I tried to delete my post.....30 seconds after posting it said "This post may no longer be deleted"....so I ask..What is the 'Delete Post' button for?

Last edited:
I have the same ('16 2.7 F150) and just today sent in an UOA, I do follow the IOLM, so this run was 9,925 mi. on Citgo SuperGard 5w-30. I ran the FF until the IOLM stated "change oil now", which was just about 10,000 mi.

I'm curious as how this is holding up for my truck, to my knowledge the 2.7 isn't known for the fuel dilution problems that the early 3.5's had. The oil lever never noticeably changed throughout the OCI.

Another vote for Castrol Magnatec

The Magnatec 5W30 in the 3.5 EccoBoost is producing excellent used oil analysis (UOA) with low wear numbers and good viscosity retention.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3849599/1
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3940338/
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4118200/

As for dumping FF early, some do it, some go the full OCI. Both seem to produce good results. So it's your call on that one.

Magnatec 5w30, and Castrol does claim it helps with your start-stop feature, as in polar molecules staying put while stopped.
Dump the FF now when a lot of iron small iron is floating around in there. Also get a magnetic drain plug to snag as much as you can.
Fram Ultra oil filter since it is dual-layer, wire-backed, silicon ADBV, and filters very well with glass fiber media.

I've run Mobil 1 AFE 0W30 in my 2011 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. Can't say good, bad or otherwise but it seems to work for me.

So I have tried searching on the MC 5w30 synthetic Blend, but I don't see any results for the 5w30, how good/bad is the factory 5w30? is it worth using at all? or should I definitely change to another type/brand?

Originally Posted By: EcoboostedPete
So I have tried searching on the MC 5w30 synthetic Blend, but I don't see any results for the 5w30, how good/bad is the factory 5w30? is it worth using at all? or should I definitely change to another type/brand?

Why? Does it meet the spec for the engine?

I'll chime in with some of my inputs. I've been researching/following the various UOA's for the EB the past 2-3 months.

- Magnatec is definitely the leading contender for solid oil that holds up for the full oil run. It's on sale right now at WalMat and Amazon.
- There's no evidence getting rid of the FF early has any benefits. I do, but only because I'd go into seizures having the first oil in the engine that long.
- There is limited amount of MC oil UOAs here on the forum, especially for EB motors. Since there are so many quality options at your local auto parts store and MC oil can be hard to find outside the stealership, I think most don't bother. It seems to have a good reputation however, so if you want to run your tests with MC oil (blend or full synthetic) I say go for it. Post your results!
- You've got a very low-mileage lifestyle, so glad to see you like to get into the throttle some times. These motors seem to benefit from regular "Italian Tune-ups" if you're doing a lot of city driving. Warm them up and get them moving.

Good luck and have fun!

Another vote for Mobil 1 and dumping the factory fill early. Fuel dilution is even worse unil the ECU gets everything dialed in. Use the 5W-30 or 10W-30 over the 0W-30 for more shear resistance.

Last edited:
Since you used to use Amsoil but didn't get the max out of it, have you maybe considered the OE line? More than adequate for your planned OCI....I imagine it would do as well or better than the other choices listed (but grudgingly must admit the Castrol UOAs are very good)

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Since you used to use Amsoil but didn't get the max out of it, have you maybe considered the OE line? More than adequate for your planned OCI....I imagine it would do as well or better than the other choices listed (but grudgingly must admit the Castrol UOAs are very good)

Is the Amsoil a good oil for ecoboost engines? . I am leaning towards Magnatec, just wished there where some OE analysis on the synthetic blend Motorcraft 5w30 so I can compare the 2. The Magnatec is also a synthetic blend as the OE.

From what I hear Magnatec 5W30 is now avaliable as a full synthetic.

The great UOA's above were from the Magnatec synblend. They have just upgraded the formula, so you will probably find both in the shops.

I've gone back and forth with M1 & PP in 3.5L EB and since I don't do UOA's - 5k is all I'm doing over the dilution thing. Kept M1-M212 on though and do 10k on those filters (saves pulling the PTU air scoop/duct)

I am using castrol edge 0w-30 or 0w-40 depending on what is available. I run my oil 7k plus miles and have had no issues. My uoa are in the uoa section and you can see that dilution has no apparent effect on wear as my numbers are good. I live in FL so heat is an issue here as well. I think any major brand oil will do well 7500 to 10 k miles. Dilution fears are overblown IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back