Oil Recommendation, Cat Converter Protection

Didn't some 3.8s get the rings put in the wrong way at the factory, causing oil consumption?

I've heard of that or something similar, but I believe they had the VIN's which were affected and mine wasn't one of them. IIRC, they had a recall. I believe they were all 2007's. I just remember checking the VIN with the dealer and them saying mine wasn't affected. And remember, my oil consumption didn't show up until 40k miles. I think those affected showed consumption right off the dealers' lots.

Are you getting a puff of blue smoke on cold start-up, that’s the visual indicator of leaking valve-stem seals? If so, you might try Scotty’s favorite elixir of ICE youth, AT-205 Reseal, and see if it doesn’t reduce oil smoke on start-up, as well as reduced consumption. I use it currently in my ‘02 Camry (305K miles) and my ‘95 Dodge Dakota (245K miles). The Camry’s former start-up cloud (oil getting past the stem seals) has largely vanished, and the Dakota’s formerly-dripping rear main seal now seems to be dry. So, several bottles of AT-205 has joined the crowded shelves of my oil stash.

Are you getting a puff of blue smoke on cold start-up, that’s the visual indicator of leaking valve-stem seals? If so, you might try Scotty’s favorite elixir of ICE youth, AT-205 Reseal, and see if it doesn’t reduce oil smoke on start-up, as well as reduced consumption. I use it currently in my ‘02 Camry (305K miles) and my ‘95 Dodge Dakota (245K miles). The Camry’s former start-up cloud (oil getting past the stem seals) has largely vanished, and the Dakota’s formerly-dripping rear main seal now seems to be dry. So, several bottles of AT-205 has joined the crowded shelves of my oil stash.
None. Never has. That's one of the great mysteries, to me. Sounds like some good stuff, though.

I may put a catch can on there to see if and how much might be coming through the PCV.

I’ve been recommending any D1G2 HM synthetic for oil burners. Especially Priuses.

Supposedly Castrol claims they’re using a different form of Zn/P to protect cats in their GTX HM but no mention of such tech in Edge HM.

I’ve been recommending any D1G2 HM synthetic for oil burners. Especially Priuses.

Supposedly Castrol claims they’re using a different form of Zn/P to protect cats in their GTX HM but no mention of such tech in Edge HM.
This was gonna be my suggestion. Castrol GTX HM 10W40. Green bottle. Lighter green than Magnatec.

Mobil1 had this new line of oil called Mobi1 ESP. It's mostly for European spec vehicles. Not sure of the availability of it.
It's designed specifically to reduce emissions for Level 6 European emissions.
Seems like the oil is for newer engines. There no high mileage formula I'm aware of.
Because of limited availability. I'm sure it's expensive. Probably to expensive to buying to burn off in an old worn engine.

It's comes in OW-20, OW-30, OW,-40, and 5W-30

I still remember a poster two months ago telling me that cats won’t go bad from oil consumption. Lol.

But I’d try a heavier weight oil, or better yet, depending on where you live...emission controls aren’t part of yearly inspection testing, it’s just safety like ball joints/brakes, etc.

But I’d try a heavier weight oil, or better yet, depending on where you live...emission controls aren’t part of yearly inspection testing, it’s just safety like ball joints/brakes, etc.
Yearly inspections? I think you over estimate the competence of the state of Indiana.

Mobil1 had this new line of oil called Mobi1 ESP. It's mostly for European spec vehicles. Not sure of the availability of it.
It's designed specifically to reduce emissions for Level 6 European emissions.
Seems like the oil is for newer engines. There no high mileage formula I'm aware of.
Because of limited availability. I'm sure it's expensive. Probably to expensive to buying to burn off in an old worn engine.

It's comes in OW-20, OW-30, OW,-40, and 5W-30
Are you sure? Or is it that the oil can help protect the equipment that reduces emissions. That's what ESP stands for, Emission System Protection.

Are you sure? Or is it that the oil can help protect the equipment that reduces emissions. That's what ESP stands for, Emission System Protection.
From my understanding, M1 ESP is a low SAPS oil created to meet a few Mercedes/BMW/VAG specs to protect DPFs/GPFs and SCR after treatment but at the same time providing compliance with ACEA specs which tend to be a little more stout than API/ILSAC specs that are more CAFE-biased in the case of the latter. Correct me if I’m wrong.

It's created to meet Tier 6 emissions in Europe.
I believe it the suggested and recommended by Ford in their European spec vehicles also.
It's not exclusive to just a few companies.
I believe It's a legislative mandate that produced this oil specification.
Europe's has some the most stringent emissions requirements in the world.
I first heard of the oil through a European Fiesta ST forum.

It's created to meet Tier 6 emissions in Europe.
I believe it the suggested and recommended by Ford in their European spec vehicles also.
It's not exclusive to just a few companies.
I believe It's a legislative mandate that produced this oil specification.
Europe's has some the most stringent emissions requirements in the world.
I first heard of the oil through a European Fiesta ST forum.
Again it's not created to meet the emissions but instead helps protect the equipment that meets the emissions.

So how does it do this when it is so high in phosphorus?
Because it's about protecting dpf/gpf systems from getting plugged, they have to break down trapped particles during regen, but ash doesn't break down any further and just plugs up the tiny channels in the particulate filter, phosphorous apparently has some implication in plugging them, judging by Chevron's new Delo 600ADF formula that completely ditched phosphorous, but the percentage of sulfated ash created by weight when oil is burned is generally what's most implicated in clogging the particulate filters.

I don't know to what degree sulfated ash is bad for converters, it's probably not a great thing, but not as bad how phosphorus poisons the catalytic material, the ash plugs dpf/gpf systems but it doesn't necessarily plug catalytic converters because there aren't super narrow channels to catch particles in a typical catalyst unless it's a combined catalyst/particulate filter system. Although once the catalytic material becomes poisioned and deposits can begin building on the catalyst substrate perhaps sulfated ash can contribute to plugging up the cat.

Back