Oil Recommendation: 2002 Focus w/Supercharger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current fill is ST 0w-20 HM & MC FL-400s.

Car is MT with a PowerWorks supercharger package (214 whp @ 7,000 rpm and 72 degrees ambient), 286,485 miles—187,485 miles with the supercharger installed. Internals are OEM/stock Zetec, and the car does not have variable timing and uses an external (i.e. non-oil dipped) timing belt. I replaced the oil pan & gasket and the old (original) pan had only an incredibly thin film of oil on it; I also replaced the valve cover gasket and the top end/valve cover had only a slight "film" on it (4,500 miles ago in winter).

Thus, last oil change was in winter, ~4500 miles ago (I maintain close-to-OEM 5,000 mile OCIs), but as the temperatures have risen, the car has developed a very audible "tick" (although it isn't of course clear if the oil is the cause). This is the first time I've rolled into summer with 0w-20 but previous winters I used other 0w-20s.

Recently, the weather has spiked here (near Allentown, PA/Philadelphia region) to 91+ F, and the 90s look like they are here to stay for the duration of the summer/early fall, so I'd like to change to a different viscosity than 0w-20. I realize there may be several options my engine may enjoy, as the miles and years inexorably accrue

My commute to work includes relatively steep backcountry hills, painful stop-n-go, highway cruising, and needing to merge onto the highway (with traffic flowing at 60-70 mph) from a dead stop necessitating WOT launches, all in one "simple" drive.

Note: I've reviewed oils on the PQIA website, read threads in this forum, the Euro oil forum, even the HDEO forum ("5w-30 gas truck" et al.), and checked out "boutique" oil websites, my various focus forums, and even reviews on Amazon & WM apps...but will ultimarely rely on the expertise/experience here.

I am hoping to change my oil this weekend, and as my thread title notes, I'm looking for recommendations. While I'd like to purchase from WM due to the convenience of "one run & done", I'm open to anything from a 5w-30 to heck, a 0w-40.

(Maybe I'll just pour some Lucas Karo Syrup Emulator in the crankcase & call it a day! ***JUST KIDDING***)

Thank you for your input!

—Scott

Last edited:
I think you need at least a 5w30 for your conditions with the supercharger.
What type of air temps and oil temps are you seeing? Is the radiator upgraded? Intercooler?
You really need an idea of actual oil temps during conditions. Also what does the blower manufacturer recommend?

Doubtful 0w40 or 5w40 would be too thick.. esp with your driving conditions..

So summary.. I wouldnt run a 20weight in anything except mid-winter, and would use at least a 5w30 if not thicker..
but that is dependent on the lack of detailed info in your post.

A Ford Focus with a Supercharger? What's next............ a Kia Soul with twin turbochargers, dual exhausts with headers and wet nitrous oxide kit?
Congrats Scott. Stuff like this is what makes our country great.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by greentengu9
Car is MT with a PowerWorks supercharger package (214 whp @ 7,000 rpm and 72 degrees ambient), 286,485 miles—187,485 miles with the supercharger installed. Internals are OEM/stock Zetec,

Any pics of the car Scott? Thank you in advance.
smile.gif

187k with a supercharger on a 'econocar' Focus. I'm impressed!

5W-30 synthetic of your choice will be perfect.

Would also love to see pics!

assuming supercharger dont use oil for cooling at least a 10-30 synthetic if the engine dont consume much oil, a 5-30 in winters. i am only 70 miles from you + my loose 1.8T 2001 TT gets redline 10-40 in winter + as it gets hot i top off with redline 15-50, 300 hp + tq + only 4.25 qts in the system. looser older engines can use thicker oils for sure

Thank you for the replies—my apologies for the lack of engine detail; my car isn't equipped with an oil temp sensor, but it does have a coolant temperature sensor. I'll take it for a run later to at least see what the coolant temps are. Unfortunately, the air intake temperature sensor (taken from a Ford SVT Lightning) doesn't publish its values in the onboard diagnostics cluster.

Original focuses spec'd 5w-30 by Ford, then the spec changed to 5w-20 for my year, with a bulletin much later specifying that 0w-20 could be used if 5w-20 was not available. Most Focus owners appear to believe the switch from 5w-30 to 20 was for CAFE regulations rather than any performance/lubrication/cooling reason. So, at this mileage, I feel the 5w-30 recommendations are appropriate (but then again there's that Castrol Ow-40...!)

The supercharger is a combined Intake/intercooler/charger unit originally designed by Cosworth Technologies (with PW later being absorbed by Mahle) and manufactured by Magnuson (using Eaton M62 rotors). The intake and exhaust cams are both set to +2 degrees timing, and the exhaust is a full SVT long tube header feeding into an high flow cat and 2.5" SS exhaust. A J&S Vampire helps keep down knock; I fuel it on the common-for-PA 93 Octane Shell, Citgo, or, in a pinch, Sunoco, but it will also run on 91 Octane petrol.

All in all, my car is the most bone-stock looking, utterly (and very purposely) bland, grocery-getter looking car you can imagine. Except for the chrome tip exhaust, you might see a flash of Apex springs in the wheel wells, or maybe notice the maroon antiroll bars, but other than that, everything about its exterior and interior is utterly nondescript—even the baby seat in back.

Cheers,

Scott

One totally Nondescript, OEM looking Focus.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[URL='https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/attachments/usergals/2019/07/full-82448-34095-b862719f_8a2d_4daa_a6c8_42dc14f3618c.jpeg']https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...862719f_8a2d_4daa_a6c8_42dc14f3618c.jpeg[/URL][/I

Underhood after getting home from work today. You can just make out the top of the SC to the rear, and the intercooler coolant tank hiding beneath the OEM Focus coolant overflow tank. The radiator is OEM with a now-8 month old Ford fan pack. It has a front mount intercooler centered over the radiator; the intercooler coolant pump is an SVT Cobra P/N. ** look below or click on the link for this pic!

Last edited:
[Linked Image]

Added this pic in case the link in the previous post doesn't lead you to the engine pic. I took that pic about an hour ago so the engine isn't exactly ready for its closeup.

Done! Got QSUD for $17.97 @ WM (ST was on markdown for $15.98 so I figured this time $2.00 more wouldn't break the bank) + FL 400S = good to go.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Looks nice! Interesting how different the duratec motor layout is with the exhaust at the back, intake at the front. Do you autocross your car?

Thank you for your comment—you are correct: the Zetec is mounted with the exhaust in front and intake in the back.

With it getting up to 300k miles, the only auto crossing this car will do will be to Target and back! (and to pick up my daughter, commute, etc.)

However, I took it for a run yesterday in the 88 degree heat, and as indicated earlier in this thread, I kept a constant coolant temp reading with the AC on: 152-158 degrees Fahrenheit, which was a lot less than I'd have expected.

Yeah, we are getting a good dose of Dixie weather here lately (I'm in Solebury, right on the Delaware).

I went for a fairly thick 5W-30 (almost a light 0W-40 on HTHSV) for the summer OCI.

But my car runs a whole lot hotter than your above stated coolant temps (like 1908F-205*F steady state, with spikes up to 220*F for 'spirited' runs, or stop and go), due to the marginal factory radiator, the crazy high factory temp settings in the ECU fan duty cycle programming, and that I have a skid plate under the front clip, right back to the firewall bulkhead.

Originally Posted by greentengu9

Thank you for your input!

—Scott

I had a 2007 Focus with a FSWERKS turbo kit and used to always go to the Carlisle Ford Nationals events with Focus Rising.

I used Amsoil Signature Series 5w-30 for most of that car's life, and would change it at about 5,000 miles since it saw a lot of time at 6000+ rpm and 10+ psi boost.

*Reads rest of thread* I see you already selected QSUD. Good choice, though it's not my first. Enjoy that car. A friend of mine had a 2002 SVT with the Eaton blower and 6-speed Getrag. That thing was a blast to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back