Oil question need help ASAP please

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got a used 07 GTI (manual) a few months ago and got an oil change not too long after getting it (and the wholesaler said it was topped off so it was good for a bit) towards the end of May. Car came with like 63 something thousand miles on it.

The Jiffy Lube put Mobil 1 0w40 in last time, and I drove half way across the country to TX where between that and local driving in my hometown, I put 3100 miles into it since getting that oil change... I brought it in and they topped it off, they said it was a quart low the other day. but I figured I still have a good 1700 miles to go, according to the 5000 mile change recommendation.

Today brought it back to the same place thinking an oil change after a long road trip, even if not hitting the 5k mark wouldn't necessarily hurt since I did drive A LOT on interstate last week over the span of 3 days. So that's where when they replaced the oil and said there was NONE when they drained it so it kinda frightened me and didn't make any sense after the other day they said it was a quart low.

Anyways, the guy asked what type of oil it uses beyond synthetic and i had no idea what he was talking about until researching it later today. Turns out 5w20 is what they put in it and it isn't really a good call or VW 502 00 approved. I've put 20 miles on the car since then, and I plan on bringing it back tomorrow and getting Mobil 1 0w40 put in (as that seems to be the good one and 502 00 approved).

I'm just worried from them:

a) saying there was no oil when they drained it
and b) driving a short period of time with this wrong synthetic in there.

Maybe I'm still being overly protective of my car since I got it relatively recently with part b but I don't know. I know I should check oil more often from now on (and will be monitoring it every gas fill up or two now just to see whats going on), but they said there was no oil leak and I have not once seen any traces of it either.

Someone help please,

Last edited:
It is possible that the engine wasn't very clean inside and goop was blocking the drain hole. That would present as no oil draining. But then if they put in the spec'd amount they seriously over-filled it. And they put 5w-20 in an engine that called for a VW approved oil? If so, never ever use them again. EVER. That's unacceptable.

If the engine legitimately had no oil in it it would have self destructed. Since it didn't, I'm seriously doubting their claims here.

Originally Posted By: evnhvn

I'm just worried from them a) saying there was no oil when they drained it

First of all, take a deep breath and relax. Your car did not run dry. You would have heard lots of knocking and the engine would have seized up.

The syn oil is not "wrong", but maybe the weight was. Fill with whatever your manual says, and check often. And relax.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
And they put 5w-20 in an engine that called for a VW approved oil? If so, never ever use them again. EVER. That's unacceptable.

If the engine legitimately had no oil in it it would have self destructed. Since it didn't, I'm seriously doubting their claims here.

I know I'm not happy, and I agree I'm doubting it as well. I think I should bring it to another Jiffy Lube and they better honor replacing it with approved oil.

Is my car gonna be screwed?
frown.gif

I think the same: if there was no oil, the car would lock up right?

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

I'm just worried from them a) saying there was no oil when they drained it

First of all, take a deep breath and relax. Your car did not run dry. You would have heard lots of knocking and the engine would have seized up.

The syn oil is not "wrong", but maybe the weight was. Fill with whatever your manual says, and check often. And relax.

Thanks.

Manual says 5w40 and if not 5w-30 but I read on forums that that's really for diesel cars with most manufacturer's oil, and 0w40 mobil 1 is approved and a lot of people seem to like it.

I'd find an independent VW mechanic that knows what he's doing and will use the right oil or use the dealer. Either option will likely be similar in price to Jiffy Lube.

Alternatively, you could just learn to change your own oil. It isn't too difficult
wink.gif

I doubt you've done any damage to the car, but I would get the correct oil in there ASAP.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I'd find an independent VW mechanic that knows what he's doing and will use the right oil or use the dealer. Either option will likely be similar in price to Jiffy Lube.

Alternatively, you could just learn to change your own oil. It isn't too difficult
wink.gif

I know it isn't difficult, but I'd rather not in this uneven parking lot where my car is mostly. and disposing of oil just sounds like more trouble than its worth in my area with steep hills, i'd rather not risk a spill.

Stay out of Jiffy Lube. Even WalMart is better. Heck, if you are nearby in SE TX, stop by and I'll show you how to correctly do it yourself.

This will definitely be the last time I use Jiffy Lube.

It's a good thing they got it right the first time I used them after getting the car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Stay out of Jiffy Lube. Even WalMart is better. Heck, if you are nearby in SE TX, stop by and I'll show you haw to correctly do it yourself.

BITOG camaraderie at its finest. Hats off to you sir!
34.gif

Take it to friends garage a do a change yourself. That way you know what is actually inside you sump, and that filter was actually changed. Iffy lube is notorious of not changing filters, putting cheap dino instead of syn and so on. 5w-20 i german trubo engine is a big no no. Heavy 30 or 40 weight full syn should be used. Also check you pcv, that maybe why uou car is using oil. Take a look under fill cap and trhu drain hole to see if there is any sligde present

find a level parking spot and check the oil yourself, it takes 30 seconds. Quit trusting others that may or may not have your best intersts in mind. Look in your owners manual and find the correct weight for the oil, go buy a quart. If you are near the low line on the dipstick then add half a quart and wait 2 minutes and check it again. Keep an eye on the level, I would check it everyday if I were you.

Originally Posted By: MBS500
5w-20 i german trubo engine is a big no no.

but it'll be ok for the 20 miles i've put on it and getting to a location for them to fix it right?

I really hopes...

Your first mistake is taking the car to Jiffy Lube IMO. 2nd is to believe what they told you about "no oil" in the engine.

gfh77665 is correct, you would have known if there really were no oil in the engine. It would have seized up along w/ over heating due to lack of lubrication.

If excessive oil consumption become an issue, I'd consider mix some MMO or Rislone w/ next OC because the oil rings in the pistons could be stuck, but monitor oil condition very closely because either could create problems if you don't drain the sludge out ASAP after wards.

I had a TL that started consuming oil at 91K, the next OC I added a quart of Rislone trying to clean up the engine. At 2000 miles mark I noticed oil was pretty dark, draining it was a scary sight because I had a pot of black soup (sludge).

I repeated the process again using MMO, problem fixed 3K later.

Last edited:
Stay away from Jiffy Lube. Far, far away.

Don't stress too much about what the mechanic said. He might have just said there was none on the dipstick. If it literally had no oil in the engine, your car would probably not still be running, and you would have definitely noticed something wrong.

Now that you know what kind of oil your car takes, consider at least buying it yourself (walmart) and taking it to a reputable shop to change it for you. You could buy your own filter as well if you like.

I'd also recommend checking your oil level every 1,000 miles, at least for a little while, so you can measure how much oil you are using.

What part of TX are you in? I know a couple of good shops down there, maybe I can recommend one.

I know I know.

what would you do if you were me?

bring it back to the same place to get them to fix it?

call corporate to get a refund and bring it elsewhere

or go to another jiffy lube and get them to fix it?

Also, In Austin

Last edited:
I know I know.

what would you do if you were me?

bring it back to the same place to get them to fix it?

call corporate to get a refund and bring it elsewhere

or go to another jiffy lube and get them to fix it?

Stop mentioning Jiffy Lube!!

Find a good VW independent and go there. Problem solved.

When I perform OC I let the oil drain "over night". The dirtiest oil is settled at the bottom & drain over night will get rid of them more thoroughly than a 5 min drain.

Sometimes you really need to do it yourself if you prefer a job to be done right.

what hassle getting rid of used oil? it takes maybe 5 minutes out of your day.
your car takes 4.9qts, of synthetic 5w-40, 5w30, or 0w40 .

if you find your self with a free hour one afternoon, and don't mind getting dirty, you could do this whole thing without leaving wally world's property..

go into the store, pick up set of ramps ($40)if you don't have 'em, a $4 drain pan and a 5 qt jug of the oil of your choice (within spec of course, and don't forget the filter) find yourself a nice, mostly level area(like the parking lot!), change the oil out, pour the old oil into the 5qt jug you just (mostly) emptied, take the jug over to the TLE, and they will dispose of the oil for you. some take it to their tank and drain it right away, giving you the jug back, some say just leave it, and they will do it a little later, leaving jug disposal up to them. all they make you do is sign a log stating how much oil you brought in.
and they don't always do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back