Heater core lifespan?

Agreed. I have never changed a heater core as far as I can recall, but I’ve changed a lot of evaporators. Even the ancient vehicles in my sig all have their original heater cores.

However, I do keep up with coolant changes and the inside of the cooling systems as far as I can see are an excellent condition. This probably helps with corrosion from the inside out.
Those cars in your signature aren’t that ancient ;)

I've never had to replace a heater core (knock on wood). My current cars have 220K, 170K, and 70K miles. I usually keep them to around 200K. Maybe I've been lucky? I replace the coolant on schedule. It would be interesting to find out somehow if BITOG users have fewer heater core failures than the general public with a similar selection of vehicles.

The heater core in my 1990 Ranger was leaking at 30 years old. Had it replaced in about 30 minutes. Remove panel under the dash with a few screws and access! I was surprised.

The heater core in my 1990 Ranger was leaking at 30 years old. Had it replaced in about 30 minutes. Remove panel under the dash with a few screws and access! I was surprised.
Is there a risk of airbag deployment when you have to remove the dash? Most of us don't have access panels lol I'll unhook the battery when I do mine, but I always wonder if their is a risk of it deploying once it's all back together say doe instance you bumped something

Is there a risk of airbag deployment when you have to remove the dash? Most of us don't have access panels lol I'll unhook the battery when I do mine, but I always wonder if their is a risk of it deploying once it's all back together say doe instance you bumped something
There is always a risk of them deploying, even if you have done nothing. Do a search on the topic. Most dangerous safety item there is.

My 2.5 year old F350 with 65,000miles ( it 3700 engine hours) had a plugged heater core. I changed the coolant with OEM at 2 years.

Oddly enough all over my other vehicles I’ve never changed the coolant and I’ve never had a problem. I’m not saying the coolant change had anything to do with the plugged core, just thought it was ironic that I was trying to take care of this truck so I wouldn’t have issues and I get a plugged core.

Glad it was under warranty. The whole dash has to come out as many know.

• Wow
Reactions: GON
My 2.5 year old F350 with 65,000miles ( it 3700 engine hours) had a plugged heater core. I changed the coolant with OEM at 2 years.

Oddly enough all over my other vehicles I’ve never changed the coolant and I’ve never had a problem. I’m not saying the coolant change had anything to do with the plugged core, just thought it was ironic that I was trying to take care of this truck so I wouldn’t have issues and I get a plugged core.

Glad it was under warranty. The whole dash has to come out as many know.
It wasnt a 6.0 literally was it? They'll plug the heater core and every other cooler from the sand when they cast the block.

Heater core on my Xterra failed around 200K. I owned it since new and it had new coolant every 50K. FWIW the replacement was aftermarket and its now been in their longer than the OEM without issue.

My WJ Jeep GC had a core fail before 200K - but i bought it used but only 3 years old. Also changed the coolant regularly.

I have heard of many HC failures in both these vehicle models on forums, so I am not unique.

I have had a couple other cars go much longer without issue. So I conclude it has to do with the quality of the original part. Might also have to do with how much vibration the core is subjected to via the hoses.

Back