Oil pressure sensor leak - replace or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my last 2 oil changes (I change every 5.000 km) I found a drop of oil on my oil pressure sensor. I confirmed that threads are dry, the leak is from plastic part where connector goes. It is a very small leak, maybe a few drops, I dont find any oil on the plastic undercover, nor on engine anywhere, so the leak is minimal, few drops per OCI.

My concern is can it blow so all of my oil drain out at once?

I have spare part, but if it is not big deal I will leave it. Any thoughts?

(KIA Ceed 1.4 MPI 2017, oil is 5w30 ACEA A5 (low HTHS))

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
And I probably wouldn't use an aftermarket...

I'd change it. It looks like what a 5 minute job? It is not like its a 1980 911 SC...

It looks like it is pretty easy to get to....... and you already have the new part "in hand" (literally) so......

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
It is not like its a 1980 911 SC...

Engine removal required to change one on those?
lol.gif
grin2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Should be pipe thread and won't need sealant. I'd swap that guy out.

It's above the oil level in the pan. You don't have to drain the oil. Very little oil will come out when you unscrew the switch. Have the new one ready to go in immediately though.

That new one looks really cheesy though, I agree with the others buy something better.

Do not wait till the next OCI to swap this out, do it NOW. If it lets go (and they do once they start leaking) you can hose the engine in short order. Get one from the dealer or Napa.

It appears to have sealant on it in the picture of the original, I agree with PST... (Pipe Sealant Teflon) I wouldn't use teflon tape.

The factory sensor may have pre applied sealant.

Be careful: Do not overtighten! Note how low is the torque specification. Because of the tapered thread, if it it tightened too much, the boss may crack and then you'd have a nightmare of a project. (I know this from experience).

Liquid thread sealant only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back