Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Failure Modes

- Oil Leaks
- Erratic gauge operation
- Total electronic failure with the gauge reading zero or very high

RockAuto

OK guys, what do they mean by "Oil Leaks" ?

Is it possible for the oil to leak out of the black plastic part ?
How about oil leaking between the brass part and the black plastic part ?

I got what appears to be an oil leak on mine. A couple of weeks ago, I took the switch out so that I could apply Teflon tape to the threads. Tonight while doing an oil change, I shined my flashlight up in there to see how it was doing. The threaded part that threads into the engine is dry, but there appears to oil on the black plastic part and also oil on the electrical connector that plugs onto it.

Have these oil pressure switches ever been known to explode, spraying oil everywhere ?

If you guys think I'm in danger of the thing blowing up and causing me to lose all my oil pressure, please tell me and I'll order up a new one.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
buy an oem oil sender dont take chances.

Does that mean you think the oil sender is capable of blowing up ?

Yes, they can leak out out where the connector goes, and any place there is potted material in the metal case/housing.

I doubt it would "explode" and cause you to loose all your oil. But if it's leaking then might as well just replace it with a new one of a decent brand.

I don't think it'll blow up; just leak badly, so it sounds like you're on the right track.

If your ride has a gauge (late 90s/early 2000s Buick?), I'd spring for the Standard Motor Parts unit instead of Airtex, assuming you cannot source an OEM part.

Teflon is not a long term sealant for threads with respect to oil, in my experience. Some oil resistant RTV or hylomar is a better bet.
my two cents, maybe worth half that.
Kevin

There's typically a diaphragm (#45 in the image below) that moves slightly due to oil pressure. After time the diaphragm can crack causing an oil leak into the switch part of the device.

20120198940_07.png

I have had three oil pressure switches leak where the plastic and metal meet on different vehicles so it is very possible.I never had a sender for a gauge leak.I remember a friend had a switch leak so badly and all of a sudden that he wiped out a cam bearing on a Mustang.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
buy an oem oil sender dont take chances.

I doubt they are any better and probably made by the same company either OEM or aftermarket.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Aren't these things pipe thread and not needing sealant?

They come with a pre-applied thread sealant that looks like cured orange silicone. (See link above) The sealant on mine was soaked with oil and lifting off, so I assumed the leak was coming from the threads. I peeked at it last night and the white threads where I applied the Teflon tape two weeks ago was dry; so that's when I started suspecting a problem with the black plastic part of the sensor.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
anything Japanese made/ controlled may have better QC than the Chinese stuff.

Agree but that's hard to find nowadays.

In '84 GM gave us a new motor after our 6 month old cavalier oil pressure sending unit failed on the highway and dumped all the oil.

So yes, they can leak a lot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back