GM Ecotec Oil Level Sensor Leak

I have a Saab 9-3 that is leaking from the oil level sensor on the side of the oil pan. This seems to affect other GMs like Buick Regals with the Ecotec engine. The correct repair is to drop the pan and replace the o-ring that goes around the sensor plug.

I'd like to see if I can avoid dropping the pan.

I was thinking that I could pull the plug (push, actually, as the plug does not come out) and go around the mounting hole with teflon pipe tape. I was thinking that this would tighten up the plug around the o-ring and maybe stop it from leaking.

What I don't know is how teflon pipe tape reacts with motor oil. Is it likely to disintegrate?

that is unlikly to work.

You need to swell the seal. Motor oil stop leak may help.

If you can access the oring, brake fluid will swell it, it may attack the plastic of the sensor. will not last.

Viton o-ring should be a permanent repair.

Rod

OP, I like your thought process...maybe take the teflon tape and push it in with a pick or even use something like a heat shrink type material that will get into the narrow space that is leaking?

This is a common problem and an easy repair but it takes about two days waiting time do it right.
To prep..

Drain the oil and reinstall the plug, do not fill the oil.

Disconnect the sensor cable.

You will see a large "C" clip with a tap on it, do not be tempted to remove it as you may not get it back on without loosing the sensor in the pan.
Take brake cleaner with a wand and clean around the sensor and behind the clip where the sensor is, you can use small channellocks or pliers to carefully twist the clip around so you can get better access to the whole area behind it.

Let it dry, wash the whole area of the sensor with alcohol and blow it off with compressed air (canned air will do) now the repair.

Get a tube of this RTV, nothing else, make sure it has "maximum oil resistance" on the label, it is not the fastest curing but it is really oil resistant and perfect for this job.

Squeeze a small amount around the sensor behind the clip, again rotate the clip carefully to gain access, pack the RTV in a tightly as possible, don't worry if some gets on the clip or sensor its okay basically all you want to do is get a good amount in front of the sensor behind the clip.

Reconnect the cable and let it sit over the weekend or 2 days to insure it fully cures then fill with oil to the full mark. That's it, I have done this many times and they last for years (never had one leak even after 4 years)

A lot of there repairs fail because they do not clean the area thoroughly enough, do not get the RTV in behind the clip, use the wrong RTV or do not let it dry long enough. I see many with the grey just lathered all over the place leaking, they lathered it up, filled it with oil and called it good.

Trav,

I'll give what you describe a try. I already tired regular RTV, but it did not completely stop the leak.

Make sure you remove all that old stuff. Where the RTV has to go needs to be clean and dry that's the reason for the long wait time.

Back