Oil newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I’m new here, first post, don’t know much about gear oil but have a story with it. Did search but found nothing directly to the problem I have...

This is the story:

I have an MK4 1.8T, manual trans. When at 30k I wanted to "feel" my tranny a bit softer and protect it more, so I used Gear Protect (a LiquiMoly product, I thought, German oil for a German car couldn’t be bad anyway). So I definitely felt it softer after that, and more quiet. After a couple of months I started to hear a whining sound only in 1st gear between 3000 and 4000 rpms. I can’t tell if sound had always been there or if it suddenly came out, but I just heard it and it started to worry me.

So I decided to drain all oil and refilled with new LiquiMoly gear oil (75w90, the one specified for my car) but whining sound persisted (in first gear)...

So my question is, could Gear Protect be the cause for that sound? Maybe it is adhered to pinions and didn’t come out even after oil drain?

Please be kind with this oil newbie
dunno.gif

apparently VW gearboxes are famous for self destructing due to a design flaw. and apparently VW dont admit its a design flaw, even though there is a repair kit available to fix the problem, for like $4. has something to do with the pinion shaft in the diff or something..

and by self destruct i mean that literally, like disintegrating underneath the car!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but gear whine is usually the result of the gears not meshing as close to each other due to the effects of wear.

I agree with BillionPa about the diff, I think it cant be gear pinions because in neutral there is no whine (and pinions always spin)

Could an additive help to reduce or lag the autodestroy effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back