oil Guru's- need help with weight of oil for jeep 4.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a jeep grand cherokee with the 4.7 V8 which has 125K miles. the motor runs great but is using some oil. I have always used dino oil and just started the first phase of an ARX treatment. the recomended oil is 5w-30 , I normally use Castrol. My question is regarding possiblly using a 5-40 synthetic or possibly even a 15w40 in the motor. Will this provide any benifits regarding oil consumption or protection or should I stick with the 5w-30 ???
dunno.gif
thanks

I have two recommendations depending on how long you want to keep the vehicle. If you are not going to keep it another 50K+ miles I'd say keep doing what you are doing unless oil consumption is excessive. In that case you might try Castrol RX 15W-40. NOW, if you plan to keep the Jeep for as long as it gives good service, I would go synthetic and would try M1 Truck and SUV 5W-40. If you are still consuming more than you like, you could try either Syntec 5W-50 or M1 15W-50 OR you could use T&SUV with one or more quarts of 15W-50 depending at which point the consumption slows or stops. In Myrtle Beach these should work well.

jdw,how much is "some" oil exactly? That might change with the Auto-Rx treatment. I would vote for the Mobil T&SUV 5-40 to start with. Also anything thicker you might use should be synthetic IMHO. I hear the oil return galleys are narrow in the 4.7 and synthetic would flow better. Good luck and be patient with the Auto-Rx regimen!

You're doing the right things with your engine. Synthetic oil is better than dyno but costs more. This 4.7 engine has been a problem for others and you can seperate yourself from those problems by the things you are doing. The fact that you are doing something at all and understand the problem will show results.

The 4.7 engine has existed for a very long time and has been used in a lot of different vehicles. The fact that there are problems, now, must be from cost cutting in manufacturing and packaging. That kind of stuff is reason enough to try to use a better oil and maybe change it more often. I looks like the owners that wants to keep a vehicle past the warranty had better protect themselves from the manufacturer.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/...ng_engine_failure_timing_chain_problems.shtml

quote:

Originally posted by BarkerMan:
You're doing the right things with your engine. Synthetic oil is better than dyno but costs more. This 4.7 engine has been a problem for others and you can seperate yourself from those problems by the things you are doing. The fact that you are doing something at all and understand the problem will show results.

The 4.7 engine has existed for a very long time and has been used in a lot of different vehicles. The fact that there are problems, now, must be from cost cutting in manufacturing and packaging. That kind of stuff is reason enough to try to use a better oil and maybe change it more often. I looks like the owners that wants to keep a vehicle past the warranty had better protect themselves from the manufacturer.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/...ng_engine_failure_timing_chain_problems.shtml

HOLD THE PHONE! YOU ARE 100% INCORRECT! THE 4.7L V8 HAS NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS. THE LINK YOU PROVIDED TALKS ABOUT THE 2.7L V6... THEY ARE NO WHERE NEAR THE SAME ENGINE. THE 2.7L CAME OUT WITH THE 2ND GENERATION INTREPID. THE 4.7L CAME OUT WITH THE 2ND GRAND CHEROKEE.

Back on topic, if you don't have the 4.7L High Output version (like on the Overland or some Limiteds), then 5w30 is the recommended grade. If you have the HO, 10w30 is the only oil to use. That's according to the latest TSBs.

I'd complete the flushing process and try a 0w-30/5w-30/10w-30 synthetic that meets the ACEA, "A3/B4" specifications. This will be thick enough to minimize oil consumption without costing you high rpm engine power and fuel efficiency ....

I wouldn't go to an SAE 5w-40 unless you KNEW the engine was excessively worn....

Tooslick

thanks guys, I was worried that going with a thicker oil could possibly harm the engine due to the tight clearences. Right now it seems to be using about a 1 quart to a 1.5 every 3,000 miles. After the ARX treatment i will monitor oil consumption and most likely go with a 5w-30 synthetic . By the way, the 4.7 has been a great motor, and other than the oil consumption I haven't had any problems. I plan on keeping the Jeep for another 80-100K miles
burnout.gif

quote:

Originally posted by jdw1222:
I plan on keeping the Jeep for another 80-100K miles
burnout.gif

It will definently last 200K+. The only reason the 4.7L hasn't been looked at as the main replacement for the LA mopar engines is because the expense of this engine. This engine costs more to build than the Hemi (but you don't have to pay for the Hemi advertising). Check out JeepsUnlimited.com's forums if you have any Jeep related questions.

We have one at home. I love it. If I wasn't so attached to the ZJ body style, I would buy one right now.

Larry I bet none of those engine failures listed on that link are 4.7s. The two people who had a clue listed theirs as 5.2s. The others didn`t know or thought it was unimportant which says a lot about how they may have maintained it IMHO. The 4.7 wasn`t available until 2000 on the Durango(I`m assuming this,the 4.7 wasn`t available to it`s sister ship Dakota until 2000). So you can throw out all pre 2000 cases. Many may have had undiagnosed blown belly pan gaskets(common for the 5.2,5.9)causing low oil conditions to boot. I have heard of a few oil failures on Dakota boards with the 4.7 but not on the scale of that link. Many report many trouble free(motor wise)miles with their 4.7s. Just hope people don`t get the wrong idea on a good motor. I own a Dakota with a 4.7, can you tell
grin.gif

I was just asking the question. This oil sludge problem is popping up in lots of places. Some dealers/manufacturers deny it and say the owner is not changing the oil, but does that explain all these episodes? My neighbor had a 4.7 Durango and the engine failed long before it should have. He was told by the dealer that all his receipts were 'faked', so he took them to court and won a judgement for the whole job. The dealer made no effort to work out a solution leading up to the court date.

This oil sludge problem has got to be a lot more complicated that it appears. There must be sludged up engines that got screwed up in more than one way. They can't all be the owner's fault, can they? He sold the Durango the week he got it back with the new engine and has purchased a Toyota Sequoia (spelling?). He bought the vehicle based on a lot of research. He wanted a bullet proof V8, so he settled for a much less powerful engine than he could have had, but one with a good reputation, and no stories about oil sludge.... In fact he ended up with another 4.7 engine, just a different one.

By the way, the Durango driver used 5w-30 dyno oil, Castrol, the right spec and weight and changed it every 5-6k miles. He did do a lot of stop and go driving and just running around doing short trips. The Durango was the vehicle everyone in his household wanted to drive, with 3 kids and two dogs. They lived less than two miles from the boat dock and a mile from the horse corral and a mile to work. I think all the short trip running around may have been a big part of the problem. With his new Toyota I convinced him to use Mobil 1 0w-30 and keep the 5-6k change interval because of their driving habits.

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
By the way, the Durango driver used 5w-30 dyno oil, Castrol, the right spec and weight and changed it every 5-6k miles. He did do a lot of stop and go driving and just running around doing short trips.

And according the the manual... this is severe driving... 3K OCIs max. It's his fault that 4.7L engine died. That oil was probably a 20wt at the most. My sister drives our Jeep with the 4.7L back and forth to school.. i told my dad 3 month OCIs.

There hasn't been a problem with the LA style engines or the 4.7L engines in Jeeps and they are the exact same. I've been a member on JeepsUnlimited.com since Feb 2002 and I haven't heard any problems like I've heard on that website about the durangos. It doesn't sound like a total widespread problem so please don't go making it sound like it is. Every company has a few bad ones. I've heard stories of 4.0Ls dying. Without the people on that consumer site showing their driving habits, or proof of oil changes, then their information is bogus. It sounds like all of those people never noticed the oil light being on or didn't follow the OCIs very well. Oh, most of the Durangos listed are the LA style engines with a few 4.7L. The 4.7L was an option in later 2001. My father's WJ with the 4.7L has 88K miles on dino and that V8 pulls hard. It's been used more than my ZJ's 4.0L! 88K in 5 years opposed to my 92K in 10 years.

[ April 26, 2005, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: JeepZJ4.0 ]

There's a lot of info on the Internet about the 4.7 engine and people are having problems with it. Don't go postal on me, the info is out there and I don't have an opinion one way or the other.

I am on my second Durango with the 4.7. The first I got 130,000+ miles out of it with no problems whatsoever. My second one just turned 41,000 and it is running perfectly. I know of no one else with a Durnago 4.7 that has had any of the sludging problems. I read that web site CR complaints and most of those engines are the 5.2 or the 5.9. Very few 4.7's.
smile.gif

I do not think you need an oil guru, the manual says 5w-30 for Non-HO and 10w-30 for 4.7HO. You will find plenty of people on the jeepunlimited board that run plain old dino xW-30 and do some serious offroading in the Arizona desert which means almost idling for hours with the A/C on high while pulling them selves up mountains. Make thinngs easy and follow the manual, you will not go wrong.

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
There's a lot of info on the Internet about the 4.7 engine and people are having problems with it. Don't go postal on me, the info is out there and I don't have an opinion one way or the other.

I'm going postal for one reason: Lack of sources.

The 5.9L was an option in the R/T models. I only saw one listing for the 4.7L V8 on your link posted earlier. Even if that is your only source, you have to realize, most of those people don't know what engine they have, nor do most tell them what their OCIs were. One person even said they had the 7/70 Powertrain warrenty on their 1999 Durango... that program wasn't an option until 2002. I could go on and on. It's just not a reliable source. Do you really think they are going to admit that they got lazy on OCIs? Maybe they were at fault, kinda like your neighbor but he got lucky...

It's bad rhetoric to say all 4.7L engines are bad if one person says they had a problem.

In conclusion, I don't want other new members freaking out that their engine is a potential sludge bomb so I am setting it straight.

[ April 27, 2005, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: JeepZJ4.0 ]

LarryL, I hate to start a ******* match but those sources, well most don't even pertain to this problem. If I followed those websites, I might as well tell all the 4.0L Jeep owners that their Jeep is a sludge engine. The most common "problem" is the oil pressure gauge, which isn't accurate. I know its not. It doesn't mean the engine is full of sludge.

Look on JeepsUnlimited.com...search for the word sludge on the Grand Cherokee section... "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." Unlike members on BITOG.com, the people on those sites don't know what viscosity their engine takes, oil capacity, or even engine size until this problem occurs. I saw a guy say he had a 4.7L 2000 Dakota. Um... wasn't an option until 2001.

OK... this is the end of this discussion:
If you follow the oil change intervals, take it to a good dealer or change it yourself with records, change your PCV Valve like you are supposed to, THEN YOU WILL NEVER HAVE SLUDGE! THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF 4.7L WJs ON JU.com... NO SLUDGE ISSUES. SAME WITH 5.2/5.9L V8s!!!

THE 2000 GRAND CHEROKEE WE OWN... PREVIOUSLY OWNED BY A DEALER MANAGER. MOPAR MAINTAINED FOR ITS FIRST 85K OF ITS LIVE WITH DINO OIL CHANGES AT 3K. NO SLUDGE AT ALL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back