Oil Goof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to change oil in son's 1994 olds 3.1 chev motor. I mistakenly took the Boss 15-40 dino HDEO rather than the Boss 0-30 HDEO syn oil. This engine ran great on this 0-30 Boss all winter for an 8K km OCI without oil burned.

I go to his 94 olds manual, they specifically stress no 10-40 or 20-50 weight oil, NOT RECCOMMENDED, they recommend 5-30 or 10-30 onlY.

All my other gassers allow a 40 weight oil above 0F or -18C, this 94 olds is not endorsing 40 weight.

This engine has 203,000 kms or 125,000 miles, runs great and does not burn oil, I dont want to do damage this engine.

Is this HDEO 15-40 okay in a 3.1? Should I drain two litres and add two litres of the 0-30 in a blend? Drain all and fill with the 0-30?

Is there new thinking on heavy 40 weights in these early 90's 3.1 chev engines now so I can keep this oil or should I drain it according to manual's recommendation?

Thanks
Cyprs

I have the same motor and it says 0W-30, 5W-30 or 10W-30 above 0F. Specifically says no oils that are not 30 weight. If anything, these engines would probably like a 5W-20. The 15W-40 might be okay but 10W-30 would be better, and 5W-30 would be better yet, of course.

My dad is a fleet mechanic for a power company. They run 15W-40 in every engine they have, from the big diesels to cars, trucks and atv's, etc. They only stock one oil. They had a bunch of the GM cars with the 3.1 and they got nothing but 15w-40 their entire lives all year long. It gets well below zero here in the winter. Everyone they've had went about 200,000 miles and got traded or auctioned without issue. I wouldn't sweat using the heavier oil in that car, especially for one interval.

I've also run 15w-40 in a variety of engines that recommended against such without issue, one of which is my 98 chevy pick up which is still going strong at 162,000 miles.

REDDOG

Pablo, The temps can get about -5C or 22F at night, day time temps around 10C or 50F. When I took he car out for a good drive to warm oil up it ran much less restrictive on the existing 0-30 HDEO syn, also the idle was not as forced, seems real tight, less power/response with the thicker oil.

Even though it is only $2.75 litre bulk oil I dont want to waste it, I thought about your HDEO flush idea, possibly drain the oil for use on my old riding lawn mower and tiller this summer, would the oil be good for that?

Would like to hear more input here on 40 weight in a 3.1,Bearing clearances, oil passages in chevs?

I dont understand why Chevy is so strict on this, every gasser I have ever owned tolerate(s)(d) 40 oil above -18C and sounds like others have used it in past as I have.

Hate to lose good oil, but even hate to damage a good engine too.

thanks,
Cyprs

Sorry bout double post, most ranchers/farmers in my area do as Red Dog's father, in their case they have 15-40 in the shop for diesel tractors, combines etc. This 15-40 diesel oil is used in all gassers of all makes, chevs included, one oil does all. HDEO is commonly advocated for gasser in Bitog, all that I use in my gassers too. I was going to put HDEO 0-30 in and mistakenly put in my 15-40 dino, the bulk pails are the same, didn't read fine print I guess.

Is the 1994 olds manual outdated now on use of HDEOs, does chev still advocated no 40 weight on ealy/ mid 90's engines to current engines, any one know? I just wonder if this absolute reneging of 40 weight oil in chev engines is old school in that old 94 manual in comparison to todays chevy policy?

Cyprs

I wouldn't worry. Cars in Australia (I don't know your engine per se) spec 10W-30 for economy but as temps rise, spec 10W-40, 15W-40 and 20W-50 if you like. And this is for current cars, let alone ones from 1994. For example, GM V8s here (eg LS1, L76, LS2) spec 10W-30 but the dealers will put in 10W-40 or 15W-40 to slow oil consumption and quiet slappers.

You will probably lose 1% fuel economy and you may notice the engine doesn't rev quite as fast as with the thinner oil. My guess is the reason the manufacturer bans the heavier oils is purely and simply for economy/emissions. The government doesn't want you throwing in a thicker oil after you buy the car and "destroying the environment"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cyprs
Pablo, The temps can get about -5C or 22F at night, day time temps around 10C or 50F. When I took he car out for a good drive to warm oil up it ran much less restrictive on the existing 0-30 HDEO syn, also the idle was not as forced, seems real tight, less power/response with the thicker oil.

Even though it is only $2.75 litre bulk oil I dont want to waste it, I thought about your HDEO flush idea, possibly drain the oil for use on my old riding lawn mower and tiller this summer, would the oil be good for that?

Would like to hear more input here on 40 weight in a 3.1,Bearing clearances, oil passages in chevs?

I dont understand why Chevy is so strict on this, every gasser I have ever owned tolerate(s)(d) 40 oil above -18C and sounds like others have used it in past as I have.

Hate to lose good oil, but even hate to damage a good engine too.

thanks,
Cyprs

Unless it suddenly gets drastically cold, you won't damage the engine. Just go a few thousand miles on it and call it good. It's really bogging you down, then drain it right away into very clean container and use it for your equipment.

I put full synthetic 15W-40 into my Volvo 850 (and the manual says 15W-40 is OK) boy even that really felt sluggish....so I understand where you are coming from.

at my place of work we run 15w40 in everything as well.

from the shop trucks to the cars.

2 lumina's with the 3.1, we run Valvoline 15w40, all year round

. . . Is the 1994 olds manual outdated now on use of HDEOs, does chev still advocated no 40 weight on ealy/ mid 90's engines to current engines, any one know? I just wonder if this absolute reneging of 40 weight oil in chev engines is old school in that old 94 manual in comparison to todays chevy policy?

Cyprs

Cyprs,

I dunno about Chevy, but GM's manual for my 2003 Buick with the 3.8L engine says clearly only 0W-30, 5W-30, or 10W-30. It doesn't specifically warn you against 15W-40, just says not to use anything but the three 30 weights. The oil filler cap even says 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: lostwrench
Which is cheaper, another oil change or a new engine?

Yes, because that 14 year old 3.1 will just explode if you go up one grade of oil for one oil change.
LOL.gif

This could partially be aluminum pistons, iron block or hydraulic lifters thing. These engines also tend to run slightly hotter in the pistons area, T-stat a little late and piston bore clearances might be too tight.

Yeah Dyoel, it is Boss HDEO Group III 0-30 syn, comes in 5-40 and 15-40 too in full syn. My favorite is the XD3 Esso HDEO 0-30 Group IV in 0-30 syn.

Thanks everyone, appreciate it.

Cyprs

As long as temperatures don't drop to have cold start issues, I wouldn't think "problems" would arise. I'd personally take it easy/keep the rev's down after cold starts though I now do this anyway, which is also when the engine would be the most lathargic (sp), and would expect a mileage hit.

Perhaps change-out a qt or two for 0/5w-20, otherwise it's like running a Xw-30 with temps some 20 degrees f colder. Changing-out the oil to use for the summer power equipment is another viable option... just keep cleanliness in mind.

Take care.

Yeah, CK, I will carefully drain and recycle the oil. This engine is now running like a real dog compared to the 0-30 syn, like a piano tied to it, something like what I feel at times. If chevy manual read like every other manual on vehicles I drove/drive for last 35 years in allowing 40 weight oil, I would leave it in there. My question is answered in here, it does NOT appear that chevy has revised or changed their strict negative policy on 40w oil in a 1994 3.1

Brian WC, My son's engine means a lot to me and him, we bought the car two years ago in great cond., old fellow owned it, garage stored, it then had 162K kms, at time it was bought it burned 1 full litre oil in 5K kms. I have put my HDEO 0-30 and my industrial 23 year proven oil conditioner/metal treatment in it in 8 oil changes, it progressively burned less just as the LubeCorp told me it would, my son run 8200 kms this winter and not one drop of oil burned, 3200 kms more on OCI. I am not going to risk that progress.

I dont even mention this 23 year industrial proven and fully garanteed oil conditioner/metal treatment in this bitog due to input like yours, not worth it to be flamed/laughed at as just snake oil.

What is laughable to you may not be to others, matter of perspective, possibly you could be doing something else positive in another thread if this one is laughable or disinteresting to you.

thanks again all,
Cyprs

Just looked at mine '84 2.8. I guess this is one of the last model years where GM allowed 15w 40 before stressing against by the 1986. On the manual it is OK above -12°C (10.4°F).

Brian WC, My son's engine means a lot to me and him, we bought the car two years ago in great cond., old fellow owned it, garage stored, it then had 162K kms, at time it was bought it burned 1 full litre oil in 5K kms. I have put my HDEO 0-30 and my industrial 23 year proven oil conditioner/metal treatment in it in 8 oil changes, it progressively burned less just as the LubeCorp told me it would, my son run 8200 kms this winter and not one drop of oil burned, 3200 kms more on OCI. I am not going to risk that progress.

If you're that worried about it, don't let me stop you. Only I can't imagine it making that much difference. As was noted in this thread several times, 15W40 is used in all sorts of non-spec'd applications all the time.

Quote:
I dont even mention this 23 year industrial proven and fully garanteed oil conditioner/metal treatment in this bitog due to input like yours, not worth it to be flamed/laughed at as just snake oil.

I'll call it as I see it. If it's snake oil, it's snake oil. I have no idea why you brought it up. Is it relevant? Perhaps, if it's got PTFE in it you BETTER change to 0W30 so you can ensure proper oil flow through the slowly clogging passages.
grin2.gif

Quote:
What is laughable to you may not be to others, matter of perspective, possibly you could be doing something else positive in another thread if this one is laughable or disinteresting to you.

Get real, man. You've got multiple people on here telling you it's no big deal. Why pick on me? If you want to change your oil, change it.
banana2.gif

But don't expect everyone one here to universally agree that you need to.
:no-no:

Because, as you can see, they don't.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back