Oil for VW 1.8T

Status
Not open for further replies.
spal24

Mobil Delvac 1 carries the API Service Category SL certification for gasoline engines in addition to its API CI-4 certification for diesel engines.

Ken

[ March 15, 2003, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

You need to answer at least two questions: Are you going to stick to VW's recommended 5000 mile oil change interval? Do you plan on driving this car like you stole it? It seems like so many owners of 1.8Ts that are active on the internet love to chip that great like engine and then drive the crap out of it. As an owner of a Passat 1.8T I can see why, although I don't do it myself.
If you change your oil every 5000 miles, it's not very cost effective to use an expensive oil like Delvac 1. But if you like to really spool up that turbo and make full use of it frequently, you probably do want to stick to a full synthetic.
I use my 1.8T like the family car it is. (although I do wind it up well over 100mph about once a month
smile.gif
) I've used Schaeffer's 5w30, 15w40 and 10w30 and have always had ridiculously low wear metals every oil change (at 5000 mile intervals) Believe it or not, the oil that degraded the most (still not bad though) was the 15w40.
Ya know what. Make your decision. Have your oil analyzed and objectively decide if you made the right decision. For me, Schaffer's 5w30 and 10w30 are no-brainers in my 1.8T with 5000 mile change intervals.

Looking at the Bentley Service Manual it looks like you can use 5w-30, 5w-40, 10w-30 or 10w-40 from -22*f to 98*f with a minimum API SL rating.

Delvac 1 does fall in that area and it may be the best oil money can buy. But wouldn't that be over kill since keeping your warranty in force requires 5000 mile changes. Perhaps a cheaper synthetic until you get past the warranty period.

I have almost 3000 miles on the car. I will doing the change as I get closer to 5000. I have been reading endlessly trying to see what to run with this motor I have run different syntheics before but since this one is a turbo i want to make sure its the best. manual asks for 5w40. I am considering redline but have heard alot about Delvac 1. I know my aunt uses this in her desiel tractor (which by the way uses a lamborghini motor) so i figure it must be good but is it ok for gasoline motors? I am a newbie here and any help would be greatly appreciated.

edited out non sponsor link

[ March 15, 2003, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

It's hard to beat Delvac (IMHO). Certainly there is the Amsoil, Redline, and even the 0W-40 Mobil1. The Mobil1 0W-40 has Moly where the Delvac does not-But I still think the Delvac will hold up better than the 0W-40. I have the Delvac in my Daughter in Law's GrandAm. There is also the Shaefffer's oils-especially the Supreme
http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/700.htm

welcome.gif

quote:

Originally posted by spal24:
I have been reading endlessly trying to see what to run with this motor I have run different syntheics before but since this one is a turbo i want to make sure its the best.

edited out non sponsor link

Hi,

As Greg will tell you Mobil 1 0w-40 is a great
choice. Have you also considered Mobil 1 15w-50?

Delvac would be over-kill, and Redline warns
against using Diesel oils in gasoline engines
due to possibility of spark plug fouling.

thanks

jae

I would definately say i drive the car to drive it... I drive approx 250 miles a week and I do like to spool the car and just want the car / turbo to last. I will probably add a chip and cat back at some point but for now i just want a good oil to use on the 5000 mile intervals cause i am not wasting my warranty. I will probably just run mobil 0w40 for now with factory filter. Thanks for the input guys and will still consider any ones comments considering i still have about 2000 miles before the first change...

quote:

Originally posted by J:

....Redline warns against using Diesel oils in gasoline engines due to possibility of spark plug fouling.

thanks

jae

Doesn't this advice only relate to diesel lubes that are not also API certified for gasoline engines, API-SJ and API-SL? Dual-rated diesel lubes with those classifications have a good record in gasoline engines.

Ken

You really don't want to run 15w-50 or 20w-50 in a tight toleranced, high revving engine (forget motorcycles, we're talking cars here). The Mobil 1, 5w-30 and 10w-30 have shown excellent results in this motor. I don't see a need for anything thicker.

I plan on running the Amsoil 0w-30 in my 225 hp Audi TT quattro. I may try some of their other grades just to generate some comparative data. However I see no reason to go with a 40wt or 50wt synthetic in almost any new engine, except perhaps the "M" series BMW's or something that is aircooled and runs extremely hot.

TooSlick
Dixie Synthetics

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:

Doesn't this advice only relate to diesel lubes that are not also API certified for gasoline engines, API-SJ and API-SL? Dual-rated diesel lubes with those classifications have a good record in gasoline engines.

Ken

Hi Ken,

I think that you're right. Delvac 1 does
have a good track record in gas engines,
especially for higher mileage vehicles with
lots of crud which need to be cleaned out.

thanks

jae

[ March 31, 2003, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: J ]

Keep in mind that Red Line is not API rated which does not meet your warranty specs. I think that it's a top shelf product, and use it myself in my new car, but I've yet to see any "rating" above SJ. I'm sure your VW calls for SL as does my 'Yota. I'll be changing to M1 10W-30 next go round in order to preserve the warranty and also due to cost & availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back