Oil for twin turbo car that is rarely driven

I'm sorry if this has been covered. I'm a big fan of this page and looked for hours to get an answer but did not find one.

My wifes car is a 2019 BMW 440I twin turbo with a whopping 9,000 some odd miles. She rarely ever drives it as evidence by the mileage. Its due for its 2nd oil change and I am at odds as to if the Luqi Moly Molygen (Green) would be appropriate for something driven so little. I might have confused the issue but I am under the impression that the molygen will seperate out of the oil once it sits for awhile. Is that a correct assumption?

Thankyou

Tim

I'm sorry if this has been covered. I'm a big fan of this page and looked for hours to get an answer but did not find one.

My wifes car is a 2019 BMW 440I twin turbo with a whopping 9,000 some odd miles. She rarely ever drives it as evidence by the mileage. Its due for its 2nd oil change and I am at odds as to if the Luqi Moly Molygen (Green) would be appropriate for something driven so little. I might have confused the issue but I am under the impression that the molygen will seperate out of the oil once it sits for awhile. Is that a correct assumption?

Thankyou

Tim
There's nothing to separate from LM Molygen. They just added a UV tracer dye to the oil.

You have a wide range of viscosity choices for the B58 (5w40 down -> 20w). LL01(LL01FE), LL04(LL12FE), LL17FE are all suitable for your engine.

BTW..LM Molygen doesn't have a formal BMW approval.

I would just have the BMW dealership change the oil. It's a hard price to beat in some cases.

Last edited:

Thankyou

Tim

What do you believe it will do for you over keeping up on the oil changes?

What do you believe it will do for you over keeping up on the oil changes?
I like their product and from having several other turbo cars over the years its been a qulaity oil with zero turbo issues. My son does something where he even gets free oil change kits from FCP Euro. I don't care about the price and honestly its still under warranty so I think she should take it to the dealer but a choice between waiting on her to get it scheduled and me changing the oil just because I can, I'd rather just change it and be done with it.

Molygen is not a "thing" really but a brand label. If it separates over time then there is something hecka wrong with the oil.

Time is also of little relevancy unless the vehicle is repeatedly short-tripped during that interval. If the vehicle is not being driven then the oil will not degrade.

I like their product and from having several other turbo cars over the years its been a qulaity oil with zero turbo issues. My son does something where he even gets free oil change kits from FCP Euro. I don't care about the price and honestly its still under warranty so I think she should take it to the dealer but a choice between waiting on her to get it scheduled and me changing the oil just because I can, I'd rather just change it and be done with it.
FCP Euro now only offers store credit.

if it’s rarely driven you have to consider how many short trips it conducts and the type of weather you encounter. Let’s not forget stop and go traffic.

I am a firm believer of “1 year or 8000km” whatever comes first and this is for naturally aspirated cars. For turbos I do “1 year or 7000km” whatever comes first.

Sure some say it’s a waste of long drain interval oils others say money. To me there’s no price on peace of mind and after all, my money, my rules.

I would suggest any oil that meets your BMW’s spec. Swap it out once a year along with a quality filter and forget about it for 364 days after that.

Molygen isn't even a BMW approved oil. If you're going to use something that isn't approved, at least make it worth the risk - Molygen is nothing to get excited about.

OK, glad I asked on this board. The car is just not driven, not really even short trips.

I'll get some BMW spec oil and call it a day.

OK, glad I asked on this board. The car is just not driven, not really even short trips.

I'll get some BMW spec oil and call it a day.

Can't go wrong with that decision. If it bothered me enough I'd do 6-month oil changes but I'd be comfortable with a year if it wasn't short-tripped when it was taken out for a drive. Then again it's pretty easy for me to be comfortable with YOUR car from an armchair :ROFLMAO:

I would use M1 or PP for this BMW, they are very easy to find and excellent prices.

So just to clear up as I have read some conflicting info....to clarify, even with low annual miles driven, (say 1,500 to 2,500), an oil change minimum of once a year is the way to go. Even though there seems to be general consensus that oil in the engine does NOT deteriorate over a two- or three-year window.

Can someone explain why? Moisture, corrosion?

I was thinking of getting some low-mile oil analysis undertaken on a couple of late model German turbo vehicles. Considering extending the change intervals before running an analysis. Would be interesting to see if the oil change was premature or necessary.

I note that the recommended OCI for all the vehicles I have ever owned seems to be annually. Very much in the learning mode on this forum.

Automakers or blenders will often give a one-year limit because they do not know how the vehicle is driven during that time frame. Multiple short trips in cold weather is vastly different than only a few long trips.

Oil gets contaminated by the products of combustion mixed with water, if there is no combustion then there isn’t an ongoing stream of mixed sulfur oxides to degrade the TBN. Oil has buffers that neutralize acid and acids don’t materialize by themselves.

So just to clear up as I have read some conflicting info....to clarify, even with low annual miles driven, (say 1,500 to 2,500), an oil change minimum of once a year is the way to go. Even though there seems to be general consensus that oil in the engine does NOT deteriorate over a two- or three-year window.

Can someone explain why? Moisture, corrosion?

I was thinking of getting some low-mile oil analysis undertaken on a couple of late model German turbo vehicles. Considering extending the change intervals before running an analysis. Would be interesting to see if the oil change was premature or necessary.

I note that the recommended OCI for all the vehicles I have ever owned seems to be annually. Very much in the learning mode on this forum.
It's also easier to standardize service intervals plus the vehicle is given a quick inspection. Items such as cabin/engine air filters, Topping off of DEF, Brake fluid exchange, etc.

Back