Choice for V-Sport 3.6 Twin Turbo...oil change

clearing out my oil stash and coming up on it's first oil change under my ownership...I have a 2016 Cadillac CTS V-Sport with the twin turbo charged 3.6 GDI V6...5W-30 is the recommended viscosity...

two Cadillac dealerships recommend using Mobil 1 EP in 5W-30 with the A/C Delco Gold filter...GM dealerships are going to recommend what they sell and since GM has a marketing agreement with Mobil lubricants they would recommend that...the requirement to keep the warranty is Dexos 1 Generation 2...

I have 7 quarts of Shell Rotella Gas Truck (RGT) full synthetic in 5W-30 already or I need to source some Mobil 1 EP if I go that route (oil will not be changed at the dealership) and this is a 2nd car/sometime driver that will never see the track but I will drive it...mileage per year is 4-5K miles so the oil would get changed once a year...

should I be okay with the RGT choice or should I stick with Mobil 1 in whatever flavor???...I don't have a lot of experience with any special needs for a turbocharged motor as I've mostly owned N/A engines in the past...when doing a search here some of the responses about RGT has me a bit wary of using that but then some of the responses on this Forum might make someone wary of using anything...however I would appreciate your feedback and experience on this if you'd care to share...

Thanks,

Bill

Does the Cadillac require Dexos 2? I know it says safe for GM trucks, but why mess with it? Others will chime in, but if it were my car I would get the Mobil 1. I am not an oil snob, but in the 440 HP WS6 and the 400 HP Caprice I just run the Mobil 1 5-W30 or 10-W30. I know it is the correct stuff.

Last edited:
yes, the Cadillac does spec Dexos 1 Generation 2 (not Dexos 2) in 5w-30...both engine oils, Mobil 1 EP and RGT are Dexos 1 Generation 2 licensed...

Bill

I appreciate it...I wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving something on the table as I'm relatively new to turbos and their specific requirements or preferences as well as being wary of LSPI...the SN Plus rating of both motor oils should protect the engine from that...

from what I've read, the SN Plus rating requires a lower calcium rating and both Mobil 1 and Shell RGT have lower calcium ratings to fight LSPI in TGDI (Turbocharged Gasoline Direct Injection) engines with the Mobil 1 being slightly lower but both lower in PF's example than the Dexos 1 Generation 2 spec...

Bill

Last edited:
I had read some time back that GM "spec'd" either their AC Delco 5w-30 full synthetic or Mobil 1 full synthetic for the LTG 2.0T engine as it had lower calcium which was better for the engine and piston issues...

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going with an oil (if I chose the RGT) that would be a problem for my LF3 3.6TT as the calcium is slightly higher in RGT over Mobil 1...both oils do meet SN Plus but the Mobil is GF6A whereas the RGT is "only" GF5...but I think that is mostly a fuel economy requirement...

I appreciate the responses left here...

Bill

...and the Calcium content differences are minor between these two oils and far lower than some non Dexos 1 Generation 2 motor oils...I asked my go to mechanics about this as well the garage owner, a longtime Subaru WRX STi owner said that a lot of guys used Shell Rotella (including the Gas Truck) oil without worry...

I have an extended warranty on this car and the two dealerships I talked with were pretty adamant about using Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 but of course that is the oil they have on hand...along with using the UPF-63R "racing" filter from A/C Delco...

I'm currently at 7% on the Oil Life Monitor and at about 10-11 months since the oil change when I bought the car (and that dealership "only" used A/C Delco Full Synthetic 5W-30 along with the better filter)...

Thanks again,

Bill

For something different and slightly thicker, have a look at Chevron Delo 400 5w30 XSP.
You have the 3.6L LFX engine. The newer LGX hasn't been offered with a turbo, I read on the internet.

Last edited:
thanks for your response...I do have an LFX based engine but with "entirely new components" according to GM...I also should stay with Dexos 1 approved motor oils with my extended GM warranty...

Bill
Red ink Rick Wagoner tried with limited success to change the culture at Cadillac. When I rolled into one of my friend's GM dealerships in a
C-Class Benz, I had to explain to him that Cadillac had nothing comparable. The next year when I showed up, he took me outside and
pointed to an ATS. Finally something to compete with BMW 3s and Benz Cs.

Fake news wrote that the CTS-V was bringing a V6 to a V8 race.
Sedan sales tanked so Cadillac introduced the XTs, cross-over SUVs for the masses.
Last week there were about 10 XT5s on the same lot, today, zero.

...and the Calcium content differences are minor between these two oils and far lower than some non Dexos 1 Generation 2 motor oils...I asked my go to mechanics about this as well the garage owner, a longtime Subaru WRX STi owner said that a lot of guys used Shell Rotella (including the Gas Truck) oil without worry...

I have an extended warranty on this car and the two dealerships I talked with were pretty adamant about using Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 but of course that is the oil they have on hand...along with using the UPF-63R "racing" filter from A/C Delco...

I'm currently at 7% on the Oil Life Monitor and at about 10-11 months since the oil change when I bought the car (and that dealership "only" used A/C Delco Full Synthetic 5W-30 along with the better filter)...

Thanks again,

Bill
I would advise if you are going to use either of these dealers for any extended warranty work and want a easy hassle free experience then use the oil and filter they have told you it needs. The others might meet the spec but they (the dealer) might turn their noses up at it which will mean you have to then start getting more involved to push the claim through.

I appreciate your answer...I will be using the AC Delco UPF-63R filter and for this oil change I used Shell Rotella Gas Truck (it meets or exceeds the standard from the owners manual) when it was changed last week but will probably change to Mobil 1 (or Mobil 1 EP) in the proper weight for the next oil change...

Bill

turbos like clean high quality heat tolerant oils!! i would use a "botique" synthetic or one of HPL's above average synthetics!!

clearing out my oil stash and coming up on it's first oil change under my ownership...I have a 2016 Cadillac CTS V-Sport with the twin turbo charged 3.6 GDI V6...5W-30 is the recommended viscosity...

two Cadillac dealerships recommend using Mobil 1 EP in 5W-30 with the A/C Delco Gold filter...GM dealerships are going to recommend what they sell and since GM has a marketing agreement with Mobil lubricants they would recommend that...the requirement to keep the warranty is Dexos 1 Generation 2...

I have 7 quarts of Shell Rotella Gas Truck (RGT) full synthetic in 5W-30 already or I need to source some Mobil 1 EP if I go that route (oil will not be changed at the dealership) and this is a 2nd car/sometime driver that will never see the track but I will drive it...mileage per year is 4-5K miles so the oil would get changed once a year...

should I be okay with the RGT choice or should I stick with Mobil 1 in whatever flavor???...I don't have a lot of experience with any special needs for a turbocharged motor as I've mostly owned N/A engines in the past...when doing a search here some of the responses about RGT has me a bit wary of using that but then some of the responses on this Forum might make someone wary of using anything...however I would appreciate your feedback and experience on this if you'd care to share...

Thanks,

Bill
You'll be fine with either oil as long as you go with a 5K oil and filter routine, I run Pennz Ultra Platinum 5w30 in my 17 Regal GS with the 2.0T LTG and 5K oil changes.

Thanks,

Bill
Yup

unless I change my mind, I will be using Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 and another AC Delco -R/Gold whatever they decide to call it this year filter...when I change the oil in the Spring...

I've noted no issues with using the Shell RGT on that last oil change but am now all out of my stash of that oil...

Thanks,

Bill

Reactions: 4WD
Back