Oil for trip to Moab, UT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm heading out to Moab with about 15+ friends next month. I'll be trailering my Heep(Jeep) out there with my '03 F150 FX4 ex cab 5.4L. In my prep for the trip, I've been thinking about which oil to run.

It should be about a 4600 mile round trip with 99% highway. I'm currently running Q-Torquepower 10W30 and was thinking about returning to 5W20 for better mileage. I have some NAPA 5W20 conventional I was thinking about running but also picked up a few jugs of PP 5W20 with the recent rebates. I figure that if I run the NAPA oil for the trip, when I get home I can change it out to the PP 5W20 for the winter. I'm not too concerned about the NAPA oil even though I'll be pulling about 6000 lbs of junk with me climbing the grades in Colorado. It's Ashland oil and meets Ford's spec.

Thoughts?

Oh, did the 'ol freezer test with the NAPA 5W20. It was in for three solid days at 0*F (digital readout in fridge). It seemed pretty fluid. The NAPA data sheets reference the oil as Valvoline All Climate, which has a pour point of about -36*F. That's a nice winter oil.

I don't think you'd see much change in fuel mileage unless it was 4600 short 1-mile trips. Once everything is up and running at temp and pulling across the highway, oil viscosity gets lost in the fuzz. As long as the truck is ok to run at that vis for Severe Service (towing), then you'll be okay.

I don't think I'd be able to resist an ARX treatment with a trip like this. You could get it all done at once!

Sure you'd have to do a couple of roadside oil changes, but given your hobby, shouldn't be a problem for a guy like you. Or you could hold your nose and do an iffy lube a couple of times.

You'll love Moab. I made the pilgrimage myself about a decade about, but since I didn't have a tow vehicle at the time, I rented a TJ with a Terraflex suspension (whatever that is, I'm an Early Bronco guy). It was just beautiful and some great technical wheeling.

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
I don't think you'd see much change in fuel mileage unless it was 4600 short 1-mile trips. Once everything is up and running at temp and pulling across the highway, oil viscosity gets lost in the fuzz. As long as the truck is ok to run at that vis for Severe Service (towing), then you'll be okay.

Well, I figured every little bit would help. I've read that I could get anywhere from a fraction to maybe 1 MPG better. 1 MPG over the 4600 trip would save me about 50-60 bucks. Ford does beat their test rigs on 20wt and even though I'm sort of a "thicker" guy, towing with a 20 shouldn't bother me(maybe a little?). The next oil to be used in my stash( arraigned by date codes) is QS Q-Torquepower 5W30. Perhaps running a 30wt while pulling those mountain grades will offer a little more piece of mind. The question is, is it worth $50?

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
I don't think I'd be able to resist an ARX treatment with a trip like this. You could get it all done at once!

Sure you'd have to do a couple of roadside oil changes, but given your hobby, shouldn't be a problem for a guy like you. Or you could hold your nose and do an iffy lube a couple of times.

You'll love Moab. I made the pilgrimage myself about a decade about, but since I didn't have a tow vehicle at the time, I rented a TJ with a Terraflex suspension (whatever that is, I'm an Early Bronco guy). It was just beautiful and some great technical wheeling.

Wow! I didn't even think about an ARX treatment. I do have an extra bottle sitting in the cabinet. I'd rather change my own oil laying in the mud during a rain storm than have Iffy Lube touch my truck. The 'ol girl only has 65K on her with good maintenance. Maybe I could add it on the way home and then do the rinse during my commute.

I'm glad you had a good trip. I can't wait! It must have been weird going from an EB to a TJ. I run a little bit of Ford in my YJ. My front axle is a high pinion Dana44 built to YJ width with .375" DOM tube and CJ style knuckles. She does OK for being a beat machine. It's definitely going to be an awesome time.

Anyway, thanks for the ARX idea. I think I can finagle it in.

Happy Trails.

Ah Moab, I really want to go but tight on money. My Xterra is prepped with its suspension lift but I need some good off-road tires for dirt cheap. Can't afford to pay out another 600+ on rubber again.

I heard they closed Lion Back/Neck of Moab after the Blazer accident?

Originally Posted By: Anies
I heard they closed Lion Back/Neck of Moab after the Blazer accident?

IIRC, the land was bought by a developer who built condos nearby. They closed it because of the vehicular traffic. I think that's what I read on Pirate.

Zaedock,

If you still game to go on your trip then my opinion I'd run "Q" horsepower in the 5W-20 grade. Just the usage of the synthetic will give you some MPG and regardless wether it be a fraction of a gain any money you can save will be appreciated to your wallet.

In my books the main thing is to make sure your tires are pressured properly including the trailer your towing and try not to speed too much if you can. Put in a fresh air cleaner filter and wash/wax the truck down well.

In my 01' Durango V-8 I can save a pretty good amount of gas if I keep my speeds reasonable (65MPH) but it's hard cuz the open desert in California to my favorite vaca spot in Phoenix Arizona averages 70 MPH highway.

Keeping all that in mind if you elimate all possible factors you should get reasonable mileage outta your truck.

Good luck and enjoy your trip and remember don't rush, plan ahead.

Durango

Ahh October in Moab.. I may be there Waiting for a buddy to heal up a broken arm and get his CJ running after a new engine and electronics have taken residence.

I've been in Moab that past two summers and actually drove Lions Back the last year it was open. It is on private property, as is Dump Bump, so they have been closed for insurance reasons. It was open a long time after the Blazer event, the most recent one was a 2nd or 3rd Generation 4Runner that fell in the crack on the back side. I believe everyone lived through that one. It resulted from trying to pass someone coming down that wouldn't move from the center.

Have you been to Moab before? I drove a locked, lifted and geared 89 4Runner and have driven the majority of the famous trails. Here's some suggestions:

(1) [censored]'s Revenge - Seems to be a common favorite. You can drive a stocker or challenge a built rig if you take the optional sections.

(2) Moab Rim - A short day on the trail and the first mile bothers a lot of people. Can be combined with Cliffhanger for a full day of wheeling.

(3) Poison Spider Mesa / Golden Spike - A must for a first trip. You see a lot of the magazine spots. It's a long day so be well prepared. This past year we kept moving and did the shortest version of Poison Spider Mesa and made it back to Delicate Arch in Arches NP for sunset. If you have not been on either trail, spend another day doing the entire Poison Spider Mesa trail.

(4) Pritchett Canyon - This trail is getting nasty. There are five really difficult areas and three have winch anchors. I used one of them for the first time last summer. It was my third trip through and possibly my last. I don't enjoy following the winch and since I drive my rig from Washington I have to be smart about my trail choices.

(5) Behind the Rocks - I have always chosen to run this one backwards. If Pritchett goes well it's a great way back to town. I've climbed White Knuckle Hill in two rigs with only the help of two guys on a strap in case I stood it up. I did come close to rolling the 4Runner.

(6) Metal Masher - An OK trail, but the fun was Widow Maker that is now too much for my 4Runner. I can't get my rear tires to the wall without having the rear bumper start lifting my rear tires. My buddy climbed it this summer in his bobbed 84 Toyota truck. I did it once when I had my 85 truck. Rock Chucker is also fun, but not really worth doing the whole trail for.

(7) Steel Bender - Don't bother

(8) Fins & Things - The first half is fun, but the rest get's boring. It's easy to bail out early since it goes in and out of camp grounds.

Originally Posted By: blackdiamond
p.s. I respect anyone that does Moab with a short wheelbase!

I guess this is turning into a Moab thread!

I did all the majors in a highly modified '79 FJ-40. Like has been alluded to, the one mod I really could have used and didn't have was a 100 inch wheelbase! :)

Love Moab, gotta get back again for a third time.

Tim

My 85 Toyota truck had a wheelbase about 111 inches and it climbed like a champ. That's the main thing I miss in my 89 4Runner.

You haven't been on anything steep in Moab until your oil light comes on!

Originally Posted By: Durango
If you still game to go on your trip then my opinion I'd run "Q" horsepower in the 5W-20 grade. Just the usage of the synthetic will give you some MPG and regardless wether it be a fraction of a gain any money you can save will be appreciated to your wallet.

I do have some Q-HP 5W30 in my stash. I have some Q-Torquepower 5W30 as well, which is technically next to be used (I sort by date codes). To squeeze a bit of MPG's out of the trip, I was actually going to run NAPA 5W20 mixed with some leftover Q-Torquepower 5W30 from mine and family members changes. It should be fine for a mostly highway trip (4600 miles). That should put me at about 8.8cSt @100*C viscosity. When I get back, I was going to add another 1K miles and change to PP 5W20 for the winter. I guess I could run the PP 5W20 for the trip, but then I'd be doing an oil change in mid winter.

The farthest I've towed the Heep was Paragon. It was a 6 hr drive. I've been on quite a few road trips though, having just returned from a motorhome trip to Minnesota a couple weeks ago. I have a pretty easy going driving style and prefer to set the cuise around 65-70 and just take it all in.
I've never had a speeding ticket and hope to keep it that way! The wife and kids won't be with me, so I'll have minimal stops and can stretch my drive time out to 15-16 hrs a day before crashing at a rest area for a few hours.

Blackdiamond, as far as trails go, we're looking to run most of the trails you mentioned. There will be about 15 of us ranging from mild rigs on 33's to me on 38's. We're getting a guide for a couple days and then maybe split into a couple groups to run some of the tougher stuff. I have to look up the Utah RMV laws to see if I can get by with no windshield. I have a mirror mounted on the cage and will just wear glasses.
As far as wheelbase goes, I was able to squeeze about 96"(stock is 93.4") using offset perches with no tank or steering mods. She's on 38x15.5" MT Claws and climbs pretty dang well.

Oh, oil for the Heep! Well, I'm only about 800 miles into a Delo SAE30 interval. I looked up the typical weather in Moab for early Oct and I could possibly see lows of 35-40*F. The Delo's pour point is -24*F and could handle that without issue, but I was thinking about switching to winter oil(5W30) early for the trip. I've had great UOA's with dino in this rig and syn would be a waste, as I only put less than 2000 miles a year on her. If I don't leave the Delo in, I'm going to run either Valvoline or QS green bottle 5W30.

With all the planning and other things to take care of (trailer preparations, etc.) I'm worried about which oil to run.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back