Oil for Honda 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've narrowed down my selection. I'm at the 4k mile mark on the factory oil. Will take it to 5k. I feel safe doing this with this particular engine. I've seen UOA of the factory oil at 5k with this same engine so I'm not concerned.

Mobil 1 10w-30 EP
Motorcraft 10w-30
Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30
Amsoil 10w-30

These 4cylinder engines run at high RPM's. I drive 80mph to work, 40 miles one way and it seems that 10w oils are usually less volatile and help with oil consumption. I was even thinking of Amsoil 5w-40 but that is too thick for this engine.

I like the add pack of the Motorcraft and PP. MC has increased the Boron a lot.

quote:

Why not use the 5w-20 oil recommended by Honda for your vehicle?

I'd like a larger safety net in case of fuel dilution. (Honda) The Honda oil is good, but I want a 10W Group III or PAO for this car year round. I like the idea of running a light 30wt oil in these engines.

Not sure if the M1 EP meets warranty requirements.

A light 30 grade sounds alright, but there are a large number getting pretty good results on the 20 grades.

I know the 20wt will be fine. I think Honda's have high fuel dilution in some cases. But, I could run the MC 5w-20 winter and 10w-30 summer. Another thought.

[ April 15, 2005, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I know the 20wt will be fine. I think Honda's have high fuel dilution in some cases. But, I could run the MC 5w-20 winter and 10w-30 summer. Another thought.

Sounds good and gives you piece of mind (even better).

Dino 5W-20 for 4k miles:

1. Another run on dino for optimal break-in. Early use of synthetics not proven as a plus. Also, I wouldn't want to go to a long OCI during break-in, which is primary reason to use syn over dino in this engine.
2. Stay with OM recommended viscosity while under warranty.

10w30 in a Honda specd for 5w20 In Jersey! Intersesting. Love to see a uoa on that. I've been toying with using 10w30 in my 1.7 civic. I think there was a post that one of the Honda gurus maintains its the best oil for that engine, but the 20 weight has been running so well in mine, i hate to mess with success. I might try that PP though, The civic really seems to have taken a liking to pennzoil.

quote:

10w30 in a Honda specd for 5w20 In Jersey

Sure. A few years ago, this is what they would have called for. With my Toyota, it did better with a 10w-30 oil. Less of a spread and usually the 10W's are more shear stable.
smile.gif

I bought my wife an 05' Honda Accord with that engine in it and the wt recommended by Honda is 5w-20.

After I get the 5,000 mile "break-in" on it, I am going to put Mobile 1 5w-20 in it.

I got that engine in my 03 CRV. So far it's only known Mobil-1 0W30 and 0W30-R. On the next change I'll probably switch it over to the new 5W30

This has been discused until the cows come home but I personally still believe the XW30 oils are a better choice than the XW20's. Unless one lives where it's very cold all the time.

M1EP 10W30 sounds good to me. I think that Amsoil S3K 5W30 and Synergen 3W30 would also be possable choices! I think I like the M1EP 10W30 best though!

I have 2 Hondas:
'00 Odyssey 3.5L V6 VTEC
'03 Civic 1.7L 4-Cyl VTEC

I have successfully used M1 5W-30 in both of them for a year. My climate is Tennessee, which may be similar to Buster's, and I park them outside.

My opinion is that any of the 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 M1 oils will work fine in the Honda 2.4L, but from my experience with my engines I think that a "light / thin" 30 weight is as far as you should go. They won't rev as freely otherwise.

Best Wishes as you Motor Along!

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

Why not use the 5w-20 oil recommended by Honda for your vehicle?

I'd like a larger safety net in case of fuel dilution. (Honda) The Honda oil is good, but I want a 10W Group III or PAO for this car year round. I like the idea of running a light 30wt oil in these engines.

Why not run a 5w30 then.

Yeah, this one's been beat pretty hard. Meanwhile, gas prices continue upwards. One wonders what the break even point is regarding engine wear/replacement vs. fuel mileage for 5W-30 vs. 5W-20 oil given the excellent UOA's of just dino 5W-20?

I went into a PepBoys today and they have 12 quarts of Mobil 1 0w-20. I was tempted to buy all of it and add it to the 6 I already have. But being this oil is being phased out, I'm going with the other brands.

2004 Honda Element 5sp run on M1 0W-20 since I drained the factory fill at 3K.

Excellent fuel economy and driveability..oil consumption over 8K to 10K oil change intervals is less than .5 quart

I will run out of M1 0W-20 soon and will consider a switch to either Mobil1 5W-20, 0W-30, or 5W-30 Extended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back