Oil for HEMI 5.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

I could use a recommendation for my brand new Ram 1500 with the 5.7L HEMI. I won't be towing with any regularity. Highway/city ratio should be between 65/35 to 75/25. It takes 5w-20. I'm not sure who they sourced for the factory fill but I've read that it might be PYB. Right now I have just over 2K miles and the OLM is at 80%.

I've got 4 hemi's that I service,2 that I own. You're right in that pennzoil is the factory fill.
Now if you aren't working the truck any 20 grade will do. Pick your favorite.

Our factory fill is PYB. I changed mine out at 2k and filled it with penzoil platinum 5w20. These are pretty easy on oil. I'm going to follow the oil life monitor.

+1 - I changed out the factory fill on my 2014 RAM with 5W-20 PU and OEM filter at 1,700 miles. Will change at 5K from this point forward.

Mobil 1 EP 0w20. No leaks, no ticks, not burning it.

Just over 5k miles on this oci. Gonna change around 6-7k.

Last edited:
Just did my summer oil change...Would have poured in Ultra but local WM was not stocking it this month.

Poured in 7qts Pennzoil Platinum (pure plus) 5W-30 with 300ml Mo2S!!!

She is SO Quiet & Very Responsive...

They aren't picky on oil. Run whatever 5w20 you like, and change when the OLM trips. Mine has Havoline in it right now, but will have 5w30 Edge at the next change- I've got a stash to burn through.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-

You poured 5W-30 into your Hemi ? You're breaking the rules dude. What's it say on the cap ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: -SyN-

You poured 5W-30 into your Hemi ? You're breaking the rules dude. What's it say on the cap ?

Yep.
15.gif

ROFL! Using a viscosity of oil that was highly recommended by the service mgr at the dealership that sold me my 5.7L... There are hundreds of thousands of 5.7L out there driving all across the country with 5W-30 in the oil pan with no issues. Some with well over 100K miles on them!

You say Rules? Set by our Goverenment that owns and practically tells the automakers what they can and can't do... These are the Tards I least likely to ever believe...

No need to worry about what I did or what I'm doing -->My 5.7L and I will be perfectly fine! She is is purring quieter and more responsive then ever.

Syn,

Don't fall for the baloney. We who actually own new gen Hemis have been hashing this out for years since like 04 or so.

Facts only, no conjecture. The Hemi runs well on almost any oil. Heavier oils do NOT damage or disable MDS. Members here have engines well past 200k running well.

Note that the factory specs 20w for the 5.7 except in some HD applications where they spec 30w. Then they spec 40w for the 6.4 variant! My 6.1 is no longer produced, but it ha M1 0W-40 right on the cap.

My new Ram has 20w in it because we get some freebies from the dealer. But I would not hesitate to use 30w and you should not either...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back