Oil for 2013 Camaro ZL1 road course application

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

That was exactly why my post included the reference to tuning. This could be as simple as too much spark advance. But anytime the factory tune is altered you run the risk of issues as no aftermarket tuner ever sweats the details like the factory.

Tuning shouldn't be an issue. One of the best LS tuners in the U.S. (Matt @ FSP) tuned the car. He tuned it with road course action in mind. I've been running the same tune for all my road course events, including last summer. The reason why it didn't overheat last summer but did now is because A) a pro driver was pushing it and B) I'm staying out longer and pushing the car harder. If anyone else tuned the car I would investigate the tune some. However I suspect my biggest issue now is stock oil cooler & stock radiator trying to cool a car that has 100+ rwhp from stock.

Originally Posted By: BaylorCamaro
However I suspect my biggest issue now is stock oil cooler & stock radiator trying to cool a car that has 100+ rwhp from stock.

Sorry to be misunderstood. That was exactly what I meant by "tuning". It is highly unlikely that your radiator is sized so precisely to the power output as there is typically a bit more margin than only 100 hp, but you are an outlier and thus kind of on your own here...

Another question for you oil guru's. My second analysis had 2,730 miles on the oil where as this most recent one had 5,029 miles (and twice as many track events). In the comment section Blackstone mentions that normally aluminum shouldn't increase with longer oil runs. But what about iron? Same thing?

Second Oil Analysis: 2,730 miles, Aluminum 15 ppm, Iron 21 ppm.
Third Oil Analysis: 5,029 miles, Aluminum 18 ppm, Iron 30 ppm.

Mileage percent increase: 84.23%
Aluminum percent increase: 20%
Iron percent increase: 42.86%

Are there specific elements you would expect to see a change with as oil change intervals is increased/decreased?

To be honest, Blackstone says a LOT of off-handed things like that which I don't fully believe to be quite right. Wear byproducts definitely WILL increase in percentage with increasing mileage, since the particles they're detecting (other than with the insolubles test) won't be caught by the filter. Both iron and aluminum, as well as copper that most often gets into the oil by leaching out of coolers... except when ancient bearings wear all the way thru the babbitt... :-/

I can't believe I just read this thread for the 6th time.

Are you running the stock cam?

What would an extra 20 degrees at .050", same approximate lift
and LSA of about 117 do?

Another vote for the M1 0W40. I run it in my LS2. German Castrol 0W30 is another popular choice for LS engines. Joe Gibbs sells a series of oil made just for the LS engines. Check it out.

Tuning shouldn't be an issue. One of the best LS tuners in the U.S. (Matt @ FSP) tuned the car.

As in Matt Sorian??

If so, he did the CMR tuning on my LS1 back when he was still at East Coast Supercharging.

BTW; you could also contact them (ECS) about possible cooling remedies, since they do have some C6 ZR1, C7 Z06, and I think even some ZL1 owners who have upped the boost, and tuned, and then run open track/HPDE/road course events, despite that they are mainly known as a straight line/drag race shop.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

To be honest, Blackstone says a LOT of off-handed things like that which I don't fully believe to be quite right. Wear byproducts definitely WILL increase in percentage with increasing mileage, since the particles they're detecting (other than with the insolubles test) won't be caught by the filter. Both iron and aluminum, as well as copper that most often gets into the oil by leaching out of coolers... except when ancient bearings wear all the way thru the babbitt... :-/

Good to know!

Originally Posted By: used_0il
I can't believe I just read this thread for the 6th time.

Are you running the stock cam?

What would an extra 20 degrees at .050", same approximate lift
and LSA of about 117 do?

Yes stock cam. I've seen/heard of too many people blowing engines on the road course because they have too aggressive of a cam.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Tuning shouldn't be an issue. One of the best LS tuners in the U.S. (Matt @ FSP) tuned the car.

As in Matt Sorian??

If so, he did the CMR tuning on my LS1 back when he was still at East Coast Supercharging.

BTW; you could also contact them (ECS) about possible cooling remedies, since they do have some C6 ZR1, C7 Z06, and I think even some ZL1 owners who have upped the boost, and tuned, and then run open track/HPDE/road course events, despite that they are mainly known as a straight line/drag race shop.

Yup, Matt Sorian. We makes trips to Houston about once a quarter because there is such a demand for HIS tuning. Houston has several high end shops yet people flock to Matt when he comes here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back